“Moldy & Disappointing”

Comfort Inn & Suites Downtown
Ranked #45 of 109 Hotels in Kansas City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 28 April 2012 via mobile

Booked this hotel because if its location in the downtown area. I am a choice rewards member and received a good deal on the rate. I got exactly what I didn't pay for! The first room we were given smelled very strongly of mold and there was something that appeared to be mold growing on the ceiling. We went back to the desk and were changed to a different room and it was ok. I wanted to move to a different hotel but it was late. There isn't anything fancy about this hotel, it has all the basics.

• Stayed: April 2012
There are newer reviews for Comfort Inn & Suites Downtown

Reviewed 28 April 2012

We stayed here one night and found the rooms comfortable and spacious. They were also clean and well priced. There was a sitting room with a faucet, fridge, desk, coffee table, and sofa. The continental breakfast was well supplied and had quite a bit of variety.

• Stayed: April 2012
Reviewed 24 April 2012

Close to the highway and fairly noisy. ask for a top floor room so no tromping around upstairs. breakfast on the weekend was okay but no eggs or sausage like there was the first day on Friday. I never eat biscuits and gravy and that was the only "hot" choice that didn't require time (like the waffles). bathroom switch, yes, should be on the inside of the bathroom. no way to turn on the light and NOT wake up everyone else in the place. bed was not very comfortable, and the pullout bed in the couch was unbearable. also the halls smelled like someone had been smoking out there.

HOWEVER Amber working at the front desk was a total doll. she went above and beyond, starting from when she checked us in at 12:45 in the morning, and then every time we needed any and everything after that. she gets top marks for customer service from us!!! otherwise, it was a standard lower level hotel experience.

Room Tip: top floor for sure!
1  Thank Mylinda F
Reviewed 23 April 2012

We were in KC for a volleyball tourney, and I have to say I was somewhat nervous about what this hotel would be like after reading some of the reviews about the area, but I have to say, that although the immediate area isn't that picturesque (close the interstate and on the edge of the city). The inside of the hotel and the rooms were very nice. The room was large and had a safe, fridge and microwave. A nice breakfast is available, it has a nice selection and is well attended too.
The rooms were immaculate, and the front desk staff was very nice and helpful. There is no charge for parking either, although the lot is a little small when the hotel is full.
If we are ever back in the area we would stay here again.

Room Tip: ask for a room on the side away from the interstate if you think the noise will be an issue. I hardl...
1  Thank Mish7777
Reviewed 16 April 2012

After a long day of travel, who doesn't want a hot shower? At this Comfort Inn in Kansas City, there was NO hot water. The front desk was called. Said the manager wasn't there. Really? That's the solution? I guess I could use the cup sized coffee pot to warm up water for a bath. Next morning, STILL no hot water. Called the front desk. Said they'd call the manager. At checkout, I very kindly told the front desk about the hot water issue. Apparently, we weren't the only ones. I suggested that part of my room should be refunded as compensation. You guessed it.....he would have to talk to the manager. I have NO confidence that this will ever happen.

Beds were fine, room was clean. Bathroom was lacking. Hated having the light switch to the bathroom OUTSIDE of the bathroom. Bad idea. Tall fence around the hotel and parking lot was a little unnerving. Located right next to the interstate so a little noisy. OK breakfast. Ran out of coffee.

Hopefully the hot water was the exception in our case. Was disappointed that the hotel didn't do a better job at fixing our hot water problem. They should have offered to compensate.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 13 April 2012

I was a little unnerved by the looks of the place. Tall fenced parking lot, but no gate. Inside is nice - sort of typical of the Choice Hotel brands. Rooms were nice, but it's very close to the highway, so sleeping with the window open is out of the question. I did hear some cars/noise/talking/yelling from the street below my window a couple of times at night, but it was no different from most urban hotels

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 7 April 2012

The customer service was excellent. When my daughter and I got lost on our attempt at exploring, headed on 169, the Desk Staff (Heather) was extremely patient and guided us back to the motel. We were truly afraid. Excellent service. Breakfast was tops. Only one thing and not motel fault-we had an elephant staying in the room above us. More noise than I would like but the room was excellent in cleaniness. Meeting our accommodations for that night was tops. We did not know what we were coming into so overall just great for us. We will be using this motel again in the near future.

Room Tip: We had family in a King and also Queen rooms. They were both excellent. The top floor may be quiet...
1  Thank MaryKay B