“Great business hotel JUST off downtown”

Comfort Inn & Suites Downtown
Ranked #45 of 109 Hotels in Kansas City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 24 May 2012

This is a nice hotel. Not overly fancy, but certainly clean and everything I expected.

Room Tip: The immediate neighborhood surrounding the hotel doesn't look overly nice, but I didn't feel...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business

Reviewed 23 May 2012

I had made a reservation for three nights at the Comfort Inn & Suites Downtown KC MO. After my first night, which was very pleasant, I went off to work on the equipment at the Auditorium that brought me to town. While there, I got a call from my 94 year old mother's Care Button folks, telling me that she'd fallen and was being transported to the hospital, in Council Bluffs, IA, 3 hours away. I first called my wife, to see what she could do to help, then called the motel to tell them what had happened and that I was leaving today (Tuesday) instead of Thursday. Andrew answered the phone, and was really helpful. I got the work I needed to do done, and went back to the motel, where a bill for one night's lodging awaited me. Andrew could have reasonably charged me for another, but was kind enough to take the circumstances into account and forgive the penalties. I've stayed there before, and will be back again!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank CBjack
Reviewed 7 May 2012

Great location, very clean rooms, and one of the best breakfast attendants I've ever met. I met a buddy in KC for the Warrior Dash on May 5th. We were in bed by 10:30pm the night after the race, which happened to be Cinco de Mayo as well. At 2:00am, we heard repeated attempts of a key trying to get access to our room. We assumed it was a drunk woman that just had the wrong room. Well, after about six attempts, she was successful! Our door opened and thankfully the metal stopper/latch kept her from getting in. When he jumped up and approached the door, she smarted off, and a group of six drunk lasses moved on. When I mentioned the incident to the front desk clerk the next morning, she said "sorry" while barely looking up from whatever she was working on. Good thing that latch kept them from getting in. And good thing it wasn't six drunk men that got access to two 24-year-old women's room. Or good thing it wasn't a destitute, desperate criminal getting access to an affluent little old woman's room. My buddy and I laughed it off, but if they tables were turned, I'm sure Comfort Inn Downtown would be party to a giant lawsuit. The clerk's lack of concern was surprising and disappointing.

Room Tip: Get one with a door latch. And use it.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Matthew C
Reviewed 30 April 2012

This hotel was very clean and the staff was very acommodating. My grandaughter enjoyed the indoor pool. It was less than a mile away from the Kansas City Convention Center where we were attending a dance competition, so the location was very convenient for that. If there is any drawback it would be a lack of surrounding eating places, but you can get back on the interstate easily, go a couple miles and exit to restaurants and fast food places. This is not a "luxury hotel" but is perfect for our needs: it is modern and clean, has a pool, small gym, in-room coffee pot, hair dryer, microwave and frig. I called the front desk the day I returned home and asked if the maid had found my i-phone charger. She had found it and turned it in. The yound man at the front desk mailed it to me and 2 days later I received it. I appreciate the excellent service provided by both employees. I will continue to stay there when visiting Kansas City, MO.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 April 2012 via mobile

Booked this hotel because if its location in the downtown area. I am a choice rewards member and received a good deal on the rate. I got exactly what I didn't pay for! The first room we were given smelled very strongly of mold and there was something that appeared to be mold growing on the ceiling. We went back to the desk and were changed to a different room and it was ok. I wanted to move to a different hotel but it was late. There isn't anything fancy about this hotel, it has all the basics.

• Stayed: April 2012
Reviewed 28 April 2012

We stayed here one night and found the rooms comfortable and spacious. They were also clean and well priced. There was a sitting room with a faucet, fridge, desk, coffee table, and sofa. The continental breakfast was well supplied and had quite a bit of variety.

• Stayed: April 2012
Reviewed 24 April 2012

Close to the highway and fairly noisy. ask for a top floor room so no tromping around upstairs. breakfast on the weekend was okay but no eggs or sausage like there was the first day on Friday. I never eat biscuits and gravy and that was the only "hot" choice that didn't require time (like the waffles). bathroom switch, yes, should be on the inside of the bathroom. no way to turn on the light and NOT wake up everyone else in the place. bed was not very comfortable, and the pullout bed in the couch was unbearable. also the halls smelled like someone had been smoking out there.

HOWEVER Amber working at the front desk was a total doll. she went above and beyond, starting from when she checked us in at 12:45 in the morning, and then every time we needed any and everything after that. she gets top marks for customer service from us!!! otherwise, it was a standard lower level hotel experience.

Room Tip: top floor for sure!
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family