“Don't do it”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
“Don't do it”
Reviewed 23 July 2012

Okay, let me first say that I have stayed at many choice hotels (Comfort Inn parent company) all over the country. However, this hotel might be the worst from this chain I have ever been to.
It started okay, because our non-smoking room was filled with smoke, and we were promptly moved to a new non-smoking room. Then everything went downhill.
-Lack of parking in the hotel lot. We were told to just park in the alley across the street or in a local business lot.
-Lots of illegally parked cars in the lot, and not able to actually drive through it get out to park in the hotels mentioned other options.
-Told the hotel clerk about the miss parked cars, she didn't care.
-Walls paper thin...we heard noise from every person on the floor. We also heard noise from outside guests talking through the window
-Bottle cap and towel sitting in our hallway from the moment we arrived at 5:00 pm & was still there when we checked out the next morning.
-AC unit didn't stay on more then 10 minutes, no matte if it actually reached the desired temp.
-Breakfast was not filled upon arrival about 8:45 am. Most items missing, no place to sit in dining area.

Although this hotel is very affordable for downtown KC don't bother staying here. It was a huge disappointment during our trip. I was a previously loyal customer to this brand---not any longer.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank roadtrippin_girl
VWhitford, Director of Sales at Comfort Inn & Suites Downtown, responded to this review, 25 July 2012
Dear Dr. Stephen J,

Thank you for your review, however we are a little confused because we are wondering if you have the correct hotel? We do not have you registered as a guest at our hotel. Perhaps you can give us some more information as to what room you were in?

We have never come across such complaints about our hotel and we are definitely concerned about your review.

Vicki

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Des Moines, Iowa
Reviewed 21 July 2012

Fire exit doors are often held open for the convenience of employees and visitors, creating a significant fire hazard for all building occupants because of the break created in the fire barrier. Doors that are designed to be fire exit doors can be held open, but only if they automatically release when building fire alarms are activated. I removed the wadded up towels blocking doors open several times but they kept returning. This is a fire and safety hazard that will be reported to the Kansas City Fire Department Prevention Bureau.

Dear jd3301,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our property! We appreciate all the feedback our customers give us as you are important to us.

I might start by saying that the dates you stayed with us was also the time of our yearly inspection. The towels were placed ironically as a convenience for our customers while they were testing our system. I am sorry. Our front desk should have done a better job in notifying you about our testing.

I sincerely hope you will stay with us again in the future and would appreciate any additional feedback from you.

Director of Sales

Travellers are raving about these Kansas City hotels

Manchester,UK
Reviewed 18 July 2012

Very friendly front desk.Helpful and informative.Great breakfast,set up for the day.Bus stop right outside to centre of town for non drivers.Just outside the centre but an easy walk or bus trip.Great value for money.

Room Tip: Use the bus service if going for an alcoholic drink in centre.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Cindertown
Dear Cindertown,

We very much appreciate all of your kind words and for taking the time to respond on trip advisor. We also hope you have enjoyed the United States this summer.

milwaukee
Reviewed 15 July 2012

We booked a room here for four days 07/12-07/16. Their room with 2 double beds did not accommodate our family of five ( 2 adults and 3 kids), so we ended up booking a King Suite. The total for our stay was $546.08. Here's my breakdown of the hotel........

Location- right off the freeway and minutes from Crown Plaza, Union Station and our family. I don't believe there is much to see/walk to from this hotel. We drove, so this location was perfect for us.

Check in- we arrived about 3:30 and were greeted with a smile by Andrew. Paid for the room with cash and the hold for incidentals was put on my credit card. We were in room 200.

Room- this room (King Suite) as far as size exceeded our expectations! There was a king bed, chaise, and tv on one side of the room and then on the other side was the sofabed, micro/ fridge, bathroom and tv! there was still plenty of room for our inflatable twin mattress. There was also a a whirlpool in the corner. Amazing room and well worth the $$.......loved the mattresses and pillows!

Pool - indoor, heated, hours were from 6a.m until 10 pm. Don't expect anything fancy (dont expect to do laps) this is a small pool the maximum depth was 4ft. Our two youngest ages 5 and 8 enjoyed the pool and they do provide towels.

Breakfast- area was small, nothing special about the food...eggs, sausage, cereal, muffins, waffles, yogurt, toast, bagels, juice. The first day we went down there (07/13) it was crowded but the young lady working was smiling, greeting everyone and keeping items stocked.

Housekeeping - this was the only negative for me. Friday morning we left the hotel at 930 to start our day, when we returned to the hotel about 330 our room hadn't been cleaned?! My husband and I were actually shocked about this...in all the years we've stayed at different hotels our room had always been serviced by early afternoon. I immediately called down to the front desk and informed them of the problem. About 10 minutes later housekeeping arrived, since the kids were napping I just told them I needed 5 face towels.

Checkout- we actually checked out earlier than expected. $$ was refunded and the checkout process was quick. Our early checkout had nothing to do with the hotel, matter of fact we would stay here again. The young lady named Angel was very friendly and we even talked briefly about the American Idol concert.

Overall, great stay and the Comfort Inn and we would definately stay here again!

2 Thank brightis
Dear Brightis,

Thank you so much for all the good reviews you gave out hotel. We appreciate the fact very much that of all of the hotels in Kansas City, that you chose to stay with us.

What a wonderful looking family you have by the way!

Blessings,

Director of Sales
Saint Paul, Minnesota
Reviewed 14 July 2012

I couldn't have found a more perfect hotel for my business in Kansas City; this one worked out great for my needs. It's only about a half-mile walk to downtown which was great also.

I was in town on photo assignment and my site was less than a mile away so this hotel was in the perfect spot for me; I lucked out finding this one. The parking was semi-secure with the whole property being fenced off, which was nice, and it had just one access point. That made me feel better about parking in a surface lot on the edge of downtown. The woman at the front desk was super nice and friendly both at check-in and at check-out. I love that they have stairs right by the elevator so those of us that like to take the stairs for a bit of extra exercise can do that without having to wait for an elevator. The room itself was spotlessly clean and everything worked great. I loved the room and bathroom layout with the toilet and tub/shower in its own room and the sink out in the main room. It's great if you have friends or family staying in the room with you; which I don't when I travel, but if you do.. it's great. The tub/shower was great. The tub surface was perfectly non-slip which is somewhat rare I've been finding lately, but this one had a great, nubby-like surface. The shower head was excellent and the pressure and temperature adjustment worked great. Some of them can be touchy and hard to adjust to the "just right" temperature; this one was great. Those may seem like tiny, unimportant things; but when you travel 100 days a year it's the little details that make or break a hotel stay for me. Another super nice feature was the AC/heating unit had a setting to allow the fan to be on continuously, for both air movement and to mask any other adjacent room or street sounds. On that note, I didn't hear a peep from another room; that's rare for a wood-framed hotel.

The bed was great, with a super nice, soft cover but still firm and supportive. The pillows were great for me as well. The internet worked perfectly. I always end up working for hours and hours when I'm on the road and I found the wireless to be flawless here. The TV was great as well, a nice, big flat-screen with a ton of channels. The room had a mini-fridge and microwave and a nice closet, ironing board, and all the things that we've come to expect in hotels: nice soaps / shampoos / hand lotions / hair dryer / etc.. The bath and hand towels were nice and thick and smelled fresh and clean. This is a smoking hotel (as in, some rooms are smoking), so that's not a small task to have things smell fresh and clean in non-smoking rooms.

It appeared to be possibly an older hotel that was renovated and upgraded to a nice Comfort Inn and Suites, and they did a great job with nice carpet throughout and higher end finishes, etc. It looks brand new on the exterior. They had a nice little indoor pool with an outdoor sunning area with nice lawn chairs and chaise lounge chairs. Off of the pool area was a nice workout room with a full weight machine; a very rare but nice thing, and eliptical machine, an exercise bike, and a treadmill. The breakfast was excellent for me with my bare minimum standard of hard boiled eggs. That always gets a big thumbs up from me. They also had hot egg patties and sausage patties and packets of oatmeal and lots of breads and pastries, coffee and tea (no green tea though, bummer), yogurt, HUGE apples, oranges, bananas, and even grapefruit, waffles; pretty much anything a person might want for breakfast.

I will definitely stay here again on my return visits to Kansas City. It's a great downtown to walk in, very hilly and great for exercise with lots to see and do.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank ScottyG777
VWhitford, Director of Sales at Comfort Inn & Suites Downtown, responded to this review, 29 March 2013
Sorry for the delay in responding to your review! We are so excited that you loved the hotel and would also like to update you on what is going on new around here! We are in the process of updating our bathrooms with new tile, tubs and granite tub enclosures. They look beautiful and I hope you will return again soon!

Your kind words about our staff and hotel was truly appreciated!

Blessings,
Wichita, Kansas
Reviewed 10 July 2012

Bed Bugs!!!! Ok, I have many other words to say as well. Bed bugs for sure and when we complained, they did move us to another room. But nothing was done to compensate for this mess!!! The bugs have traveled home with us as they always do when bed bugs are present in a hotel room. Do yourself a favor and stay away from this one!!! The manager tried to convince me there were no bugs because she had a piece of paper that said so. Weekly inspections and so forth, well I do not believe the bugs got a chance to read the memo. Steer Clear!!!

2 Thank BradBall
VWhitford, Front Office Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites Downtown, responded to this review, 28 May 2013
Dear Brad BAll

I am deeply sorry about the incidence you had while at our facility. I have seen the reports from the Pest Control company who came to inspect the room. I am not a expert on these such things, so I am not qualified to say yes we did or no we didnt. I really hope you can give us another try, and if there is anything I can do please just let me know, you can contact me directly

Cecily Lara
Roland, Iowa
Reviewed 8 July 2012

Our daughter booked a block of rooms at this facility for her weddinig in mid June. We stayed both Friday and Saturday nights and found our stay to be extremely enjoyable. The rooms were nice and spacious and everything was very clean. Beyond the facility, we found the staff to be OUTSTANDING! The young lady who ran the breakfast area, Nette, was very pleasant and extemely friendly. She greeted us both mornings and even spent a few minutes visiting with us about our daughter's wedding one morning. We encountered two young ladies at the desk, Angel and Akuac, and again they both were welcoming, friendly and helpful. This is a nice facility with a very, very good staff. Easily 5 Stars!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Tom L
Thank you so much for taking the time to write about our hotel. Angel is our front desk manager, and yes we think she is awesome too.

We hope you will return to us in the future, and hope your daughter and husband are doing well.