“Great Staff and Very Up and Coming” 5 of 5 bubbles

Comfort Inn & Suites Downtown
Ranked #57 of 109 Hotels in Kansas City
GreenLeadersBronze level
London, Ontario, Canada
“Great Staff and Very Up and Coming”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 September 2013

This is to say that Ana is awesome, the room was great and at first I thought the suite was out dated then learned they are spending a ton of money to upgrade all washrooms and Jacuzzi Tubs...the lobby is getting an over haul and the breakfast waffles made to order is great....only thing I would say is the hot food is less then desirable on the breakfast menu....

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
kansascitymolodging, Front Office Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites Downtown, responded to this review, 21 September 2013
Dear Josh B

Thank you soo much! I will print this off and leave for Ana to read. I am so glad you had a good stay. Yes the owners are spending alot of money on renovations at this moment. We are reduing all bathrooms, and jacuzzi tubs. They have spent money on new furniture in breakfast room, we have added a "internet" bar, and new lobby furniture. We are also in the process right now of new bedding, housekeeping should have this completed shortly, and by end of year there is talk of new carpets in all hallways. So a lot of new items to come. We hope to see you again on your next trip to KC.

Cecily Lara

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Sullivan, Illinois
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 September 2013

The pictures of the hotel are misleading, they don't show the steel fence around the parking lot for security reasons. We checked in on Saturday Sept. 14th for a family wedding that was down the road. At approximately 3 pm middle of the afternoon their was a carjacking on the property with both subjects having GUNS! We seen all the police at the hotel and could hear the police helicopter above us. We left and went to the wedding and while at the wedding decided we didn't feel safe and I went back to hotel got are belongings and checked out of both rooms. Front desk told me sorry you are leaving but we still charging you for the rooms. $194.51 for 1and $118.56 for the other and we stayed in them for about an hour and a half. Called later that night cause forgot something and they couldn't check the room since they already had rented it out. Called today and talked to manager Cecily and she said she would refund for the room that was rented but not the other. You leave because of a violent crime takes place and you don't feel safe and all they care about is getting that sale. If we chose to leave for some lame reason I don't blame them, but when you have 3 daughters and 1 of them is pregnant and you are afraid I think a little compassion would help. They are deceptive with the pictures, makes it look like this cute little hotel when they know that you are in a not safe place. If the showed pictures of the bars around the parking lot we would have never stayed at this place and we will never stay there again.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Jack C
kansascitymolodging, Front Office Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites Downtown, responded to this review, 17 September 2013
Dear Jake C

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review regarding your stay. I enjoy reading all feed back from guests, both positive and negative.
I am sorry for the way you feel on how your stay was. I do understand where you are coming from. I looked at the pictures online, and on 5 of 19 there is a picture of the "fence", as we are only the only hotel with free parking, we do put a fence around our "open" parking lot. I can not imagine how you and your family felt for what you witnessed. I also can not say why people do the things they do, however our property is located in Downtown Kansas City. Unfortunately there are going to be people who break the law in one way or another. Housekeeping and the FD girls have not found a bag left in one of your rooms. I still have your address and phone number if it is turned in I will call you ASAP and have shipped to you.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 September 2013 via mobile

This is a nice hotel, with a good location for sightseeing around KC. It was clean and well maintained, and the staff was very friendly. However, be sure to request a non-smoking room if you don't want to stink like cigarettes for days after, but that is more a state of Missouri issue than a hotel problem.The parking lot also needs to be about 2x the size, as on Saturday nights it fills up quickly and you'll be parking across the street in the 'remote' lot. I would stay here again!

Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Nick S
kansascitymolodging, Front Office Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites Downtown, responded to this review, 11 September 2013
Dear Nick S

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review on how your stay was with Comfort Inn & Suites. I am sorry about the "smoke" smell. We are transferring this property into 100% non smoking, we are hoping to have this done by the end of the year. There are a lot of new things to come with this property within the year. We hope to see you again next time you visit Kansas City.

Manhattan, KS.
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 September 2013

My husband and I stayed here for two nights with another couple. The lady that checked us in was super friendly, so we thought we were off to a great start. Unfortunately, everything didn't follow suit after that. The beds were so hard and uncomfortable that all four of us woke each morning with stiff backs. The breakfast was good, but the breakfast room was so small, we couldn't even get in to the room to serve ourselves, let alone sit down. On the second night, one of the elevators broke, so there was only one to use. At one point, while on the elevator - it stopped on a floor and a maid with a big cart was waiting to get on. There were four of us in the elevator, so she couldn't fit. She looked at us and sighed with complete annoyance, making us feel incredibly awkward until the door shut again. The second night - the fire alarms kept going off, waking us all up multiple times. Needless to say, by the time we were ready to check out - we were ready to check out! We were all cranky from interrupted uncomfortable sleep and we left hungry because we didn't have the patience to wait in a HOT line to get our food only to have to go all the way back up to our room because there was no where to sit.The other complaint was parking. The lot was too small and the second lot was across the street. Very inconvenient. This was kind of a bummer, because it was supposed to be a kid free adult weekend getaway, a time to recharge, but it ended up being more stressful than anticipated. Definitely wouldn't stay again. The only upside was that it was pretty centrally located to the places we went.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
kansascitymolodging, Front Office Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites Downtown, responded to this review, 9 September 2013
Dearksu08

I am extremely sorry about all the inconveniences you encountered while staying with us. Our beds are new, I have had alot of compliments on how soft they were. The elevator was having a glitch which is why we shut it off, it is now 100% fixed. I will speak with the housekeeping executive about the housekeeper you encountered. The alarm system did go off, and we had the company who monitors it come out and replace it. I am so sorry I completely understand why you have the doubts that you do concerning our property. If you would like to try us out one more time, please fee free to contact me directly, I myself will make sure you have a great stay.

Iowa
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2013

Usually this brand is a good hotel for the money, but not in K.C. FIRST, It has twice as many rooms as parking spaces, so we ended up parking across the street in an unsecured lot -which in this section of town is ill-advised. SECOND, they had only one working elevator and the controls are broken and taped together etc. The 2nd elevator looks like it's been out of service for quite a while. THIRD, the place was not clean, and even though we clearly reserved a no smoking room, we received a smoking room and it was rank with many odors. FOURTH, at various times during the night (2am, 4am etc) there were drunks wandering about on our floor. Finally a man (druggie/drunk) attempted to get in our room by trying various keys and knocking etc, and we called the desk. The desk gal said "not again" as if it happened all the time. LASTLY, when we finally came down for the (cold) hot-breakfast buffet, she said that she had trouble with that guy all night and he wasn't even staying there. She was really put out by the problem, but in no way worried about my night of no sleep. The difference of course being that she was paid to be there and I was paying for a nights sleep. I travel a lot, and this is a very unacceptable hotel.

Room Tip: avoid this property at all costs.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank kcps1150
kansascitymolodging, Front Office Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites Downtown, responded to this review, 4 September 2013
Dear KCPS1150

I would like to apoligize about the stay you had with us. I understand our parking can at times be a bit difficult. which is why ownership has purchased our extended parking lot to try and help with issues such as these. We do try our best to keep all guests happy. With the size of our property we do have two elevators, unfortunately we did have one out for a few days whch is getting put back into order, and buttons are being fixed promptly. With our properties location being so close to downtown we do have some guests that can be of some difficulty. Our staff does the best that they can to handle situations such as these. Please if there is anything I can do to make this right please let me know. Feel free to contact me directly. I do hope you can give us one more chance to make this right.

Davis, Oklahoma
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2013

Had a convention to attend in Downtown, but wanted to stay here due to better amenities than those offered my the big fancy joint. The staff go well beyond the call of duty to make you feel at home. We had the 2 king bed suite for 6 nights. Really helped us to stay rested and the wife and kiddies enjoyed the pool. We'd stay here again if we go back to KC.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Dear Darrell H

Thank you for leaving us a review regarding your stay with us. We appreciate the compliments. I do hope next time you are in KC you choose to stay with us as again.
Sioux Falls, South Dakota, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 August 2013

Over all this Hotel was a Great place to stay. The location to Convention Center and Restaurants was Great. We will definitely stay here again, The Staff was every friendly and helpful. Breakfast was always good and hot.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
kansascitymolodging, Front Office Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites Downtown, responded to this review, 2 September 2013
Dear RobertB

Thank you for leaving us a review on how your stay was with us. I do enjoy reading all the reviews. I hope you have a good holiday weekend, and hope to see you again on your next trip to Kansas City