“Second Choice This Time - First Choice Next”
Review of Hickok's Bar and Grill - CLOSED

Cuisines: Bar, Pub, Mexican, American
Dining options: Seating
Dining options: Seating
Kansas City, Missouri
“Second Choice This Time - First Choice Next”
Reviewed 7 October 2012

So we left home, planning to go to the American Royal Friday night event ...saw several thousand other vehicles that seemed to have the same idea ... decided that paying $20.00 to park a mile or so away from the event on a cold and windy night held less than total appeal, so happened upon Hickock's on the way back home. It looked welcoming, parking was easy, so in we went.

No wait for a table for 2 on Friday night ... possibly because the rest of the world was at the Royal ... was just the beginning to a truly, totally pleasant dining experience. Good food, knowledgable and helpful staff, interesting and varied menu ... well worth several return trips.

Visited October 2012

Kansas City, Missouri
“Great Place for lunch in River Market”
Reviewed 16 May 2012

This is a fantastic place to go for lunch. The food is excellent! I had the fish and chips, it was served with this AMAZING slaw on the side and the fish was breaded perfectly. I will definitely be back to try more items!

• Visited May 2012
Manhattan, Kansas
“Great find!”
Reviewed 9 May 2012

My husband and I were killing time in the City Market Area. It was hot and we were hungry. We decided some bar food sounded good. The food was really good, the prices were great, and I loved the atmosphere (lots of old brick.) The menu was unique (you can find it on their website.) My husband had the fried burger (yum) and I had the shrimp enchiladas (yum). I don't care for rice and beans so asked for a substitution. They offered me corn or slaw. I chose the slaw...it was so good! I believe it was actually lettuce (romaine maybe?) and a sweet jalapeno vinagrette...again, yum! The chips were fresh and good, the salsa was different (different = nice!) I don't think I'll find myself in this area again but if I do I WILL go back!

• Visited May 2012
Kansas City, Missouri
“Friday Friendly during Lent”
Reviewed 27 February 2012

Had lunch last Friday with a friend at this River Market watering hole and restaurant. Was pleased to see that they had a 25% off special on all seafood dishes during Lent. I had the shrimp enchiladas and thought that they were pretty good. Each enchilada had two medium shrimp that were cooked well and topped with queso sauce - beans and rice came on the side. My friend had their BLT and fries. I thought that the draft beer selection was pretty limited for a saloon type of venue. I will go back.

• Visited February 2012
Morristown, Arizona
“Good Food, Decent Experience- but could really be better”
Reviewed 18 December 2011

The food here is usually pretty good & we like to come here for lunch or an after work dinner/drink. There are not many vegetarian choices, but the food is definitely better than typical bar food. They offer chips & salsa when you get seated which I like. I like the booth seating & there is usually not a wait. I guess it is an easy choice. Oddly, we have been here multiple times (sometimes twice on the same day or next day) & the owner has seen us. He seems really tired or even indifferent towards his return guests- I guess I just think this place would offer a better experience by being a "neighborhood style" bar with a friendlier staff. The service is not bad, just not warm. I really think this place could be better & hope it gets there.

• Visited December 2011