“YUM!”

Happy Gillis Cafe & Hangout
Ranked #135 of 1,429 Restaurants in Kansas City
Cuisines: American, Diner
Reviewed 26 May 2014

Having the internet in the palm of my hand made me very happy, because we were able to find Happy Gillis for a lunch stop during a long road trip.

The food at Happy Gillis is fresh, prepared from scratch, locally sourced, and delicious! We had a pork confit sandwich, salad of the day and soup of the day. The pork confit sandwich was served on crusty, fresh made bread and the apple butter, pickled fennel and walnuts provided a great balance of flavor. The soup was fresh and balanced, and the salad was a treat of lightly dressed mixed “weeds” full of fascinating leaf shapes with distinct flavors. The service was friendly and we’re now thinking of ways to get back to Kansas City, just so that we can eat here.

There are newer reviews for Happy Gillis Cafe & Hangout

Reviewed 18 January 2014 via mobile

Happy Gillis made me very happy, good quality food, very tasty, I love little gems like this one! At first the price seemed high but the freshly made tasty goodness won me over & reminded me how important it is to support quality local establishments! After all you are what you eat :o) and I prefer to be Happy! The walnut chocolate chip cookie is still making my mouth water...

Reviewed 9 January 2014

Although hard to find if you don't know the area - it's worth the search.
Great sandwich and soup for lunch. Seating a little limited in the cold
weather. I'd go back again!!!!

Reviewed 7 October 2013

This is one of the best breakfast spots in all of Kansas City. The food is excellent as is the service and the atmosphere cannot be beat.

The biscuits and gravy were excellent, but the breakfast BLT was unreal. The bacon was thick and tasty, the tomatoes were thick and juicy, and the bread was great as well. It is probably the best breakfast sandwich I've ever had.

Reviewed 1 October 2013

I visited Happy Gillis with a co-worker for lunch. My ham and cheese sandwich was actually very good. It has a nice mustard and honey taste and was truly delicious. The place is small with only a few tables and the decor is rather twilight-zonish with some old antique plates on the wall and a strange pea-soup green paint on the walls. The chairs weren't all that comfortable. The biggest problem is the tab. For a regular sized ham & cheese sandwich (which I'll say again was good), a small bag of regular potato chips and a bottle of root beer, my tab was almost $15. I'm all about finding good food, but the price is just out of line for what you get.

1  Thank la_cebolla