“The BEST local meat” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #9 of 24 Shopping in Kansas City
Overland Park, Kansas
“The BEST local meat”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 January 2014

I love this shop because it is around 2 miles from the River Market, so I can go get my fresh produce at wholesale prices and then come to the local pig for my meat! I have never had a bad cut of meat from here, and I can be guaranteed that it was grass fed and is as clean as it can be, short of going to Whole Foods. I've also done the math in my head, and costs less than Whole Foods in the end. You can see the guys chopping up the meat right in front of you, and they package it up nicely as well. Some of my favorite items include the sage breakfast sausage, the skirt steak, and the chicken thighs. I'd like to take a butcher class one of these days as well. I look forward to coming here at least twice a month, and actually dread going to the grocery store now that I have found this place!

Visited December 2013

Kansas City, Missouri
24 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“The best butcher in Kansas City”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 January 2014

When you visit The Local Pig, you never know just what you are going to find. They always have something new and different, and you will never find it at your local grocery store. This time, they had a "breakfast pot pie" - about the size of a good sized muffin - wrapped in pastry. When baked it turned a lovely brown and was filled with egg, cheese, ham, sausage and goodness.
The duck sausage, the jalapeno brown sugar bacon, lamb patties...always something different. We even tasted the "head cheese" that was being sliced. This place is worth a visit just to see it!

Visited December 2013
Kansas City, Kansas
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Local chicken”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 February 2013 via mobile

Really, the only place to buy meats in KC. I bought a 4.5 lb local chicken and it was great to know I'm supporting ethical local agriculture. The guys at Local Pig are so fun. Worth a trip just to see it.

Kansas
45 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 202 helpful votes
“Hog Butchering Class”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 December 2012

My daughter and I took the hog butchering class at the Local Pig and it was a wonderful “foodie” experience. The class cost $100 a person, but for that, you get to participate in the butchering of an entire hog, and you go home with 10-15 pounds of the fresh pork you butchered. The class is held right in the small butcher shop; one of the other employees made sausage while the class went on. When you arrive, they issue you an apron and a hand out, and have Boulevard Beer (a local KC beer), some of their homemade sausages and pretzel rolls for you to enjoy throughout the 2 hour class. There were 8 of us in the class and we just took turns on the side of hog. The tenderloin came off, then the ham, the front leg portion, the chops, the ribs, and the belly. Everyone got a turn with the knives and saws. We repeated the process on the second side. The instructor was great; a trained chef that has worked at some great KC restaurants (he was sous chef at The American), he really did a good job showing and helping. It was a blast. My daughter and I went home with an entire Boston Butt, an entire slab of pork belly and 8 very large, beautiful chops. The instructor really tried hard to give you the pork you wanted and made sure your box was full. There is also a sausage making class that I will sign up for! This is a great little shop with locally produced meats; pork, beef, chicken, lamb, rabbit, etc. They produce all kinds of sausages, pates, and other great, local stuff. This is a great shop and this was a great class. I loved it and highly recommend it to all.

Visited December 2012
Kansas City
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“A new, can't miss location if you like local food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2012

I visited the Local Pig with a group from Slow Food Kansas City and all I can say is Kansas City is now going to be blessed with a fabulous butcher-shop experience with some of the best local meats and other products you can find. The shop officially opens on Monday, February 27th and will be selling various meats, ranging from locally-raised Berkshire pork to rabbit, chickens and more.

The owner and his small staff are already offering classes to the public. Our class, titled something like "From Snout to Tail" is a 4-session experience working our way through the entire butchering and usage of a hog. With the pigs head in the first class we made the most delicious head cheese I've ever had, cured jowls and pig cheeks. We got to sample a little bit of everything and even take some home. I wish I could offer some pictures, but like an idiot I didn't take a camera. All I came home with were some great recipes and a little head cheese for the next day!

Visited February 2012