“Like an old-fashioned butcher shop”
Review of Local Pig

Local Pig
Ranked #9 of 27 Shopping in Kansas City
Reviewed 19 February 2014

You can find rabbit, pig, beef, chicken and more at the Local Pig--and the staff knows where all of it was sourced and what it was fed. Quality meats for pretty reasonable prices, considering. We will definitely visit again.

Reviewed 21 January 2014

I love this shop because it is around 2 miles from the River Market, so I can go get my fresh produce at wholesale prices and then come to the local pig for my meat! I have never had a bad cut of meat from here, and I can be guaranteed that it was grass fed and is as clean as it can be, short of going to Whole Foods. I've also done the math in my head, and costs less than Whole Foods in the end. You can see the guys chopping up the meat right in front of you, and they package it up nicely as well. Some of my favorite items include the sage breakfast sausage, the skirt steak, and the chicken thighs. I'd like to take a butcher class one of these days as well. I look forward to coming here at least twice a month, and actually dread going to the grocery store now that I have found this place!

Reviewed 7 January 2014

When you visit The Local Pig, you never know just what you are going to find. They always have something new and different, and you will never find it at your local grocery store. This time, they had a "breakfast pot pie" - about the size of a good sized muffin - wrapped in pastry. When baked it turned a lovely brown and was filled with egg, cheese, ham, sausage and goodness.
The duck sausage, the jalapeno brown sugar bacon, lamb patties...always something different. We even tasted the "head cheese" that was being sliced. This place is worth a visit just to see it!

Reviewed 11 February 2013 via mobile

Really, the only place to buy meats in KC. I bought a 4.5 lb local chicken and it was great to know I'm supporting ethical local agriculture. The guys at Local Pig are so fun. Worth a trip just to see it.

Reviewed 17 December 2012

My daughter and I took the hog butchering class at the Local Pig and it was a wonderful “foodie” experience. The class cost $100 a person, but for that, you get to participate in the butchering of an entire hog, and you go home with 10-15 pounds of the fresh pork you butchered. The class is held right in the small butcher shop; one of the other employees made sausage while the class went on. When you arrive, they issue you an apron and a hand out, and have Boulevard Beer (a local KC beer), some of their homemade sausages and pretzel rolls for you to enjoy throughout the 2 hour class. There were 8 of us in the class and we just took turns on the side of hog. The tenderloin came off, then the ham, the front leg portion, the chops, the ribs, and the belly. Everyone got a turn with the knives and saws. We repeated the process on the second side. The instructor was great; a trained chef that has worked at some great KC restaurants (he was sous chef at The American), he really did a good job showing and helping. It was a blast. My daughter and I went home with an entire Boston Butt, an entire slab of pork belly and 8 very large, beautiful chops. The instructor really tried hard to give you the pork you wanted and made sure your box was full. There is also a sausage making class that I will sign up for! This is a great little shop with locally produced meats; pork, beef, chicken, lamb, rabbit, etc. They produce all kinds of sausages, pates, and other great, local stuff. This is a great shop and this was a great class. I loved it and highly recommend it to all.