“Clean, great location”

Residence Inn Kansas City Country Club Plaza
Ranked #54 of 109 Hotels in Kansas City
Reviewed 25 October 2010

This Residence Inn is located within walking distance of several great restaurants and shops. This hotel is very clean and has complementary parking for it's guests. Even though we arrived early in the day our room was ready and we appreciated that. The clerk at the desk gave us a great map of the area and walked to lunch from there and then on to two art museums. I would highly recommend this hotel for the cleanliness, great breakfast and large rooms with full kitchens and full size refrigerators. The front desk clerks were friendly and well informed.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank sharlyn2

Reviewed 17 July 2010

We stayed in one of the one bedroom suites with an external entrance. At first we were very frustrated with having to park in the garage and walk down the street and up stairs to get in, but then discovered there was a parking area directly outside a back door directly into the suite. This ended up being very convenient and there was also a little outdoor sitting area. The suite was very comfortable and well set up. The bed was very comfortable and it was nice to do some light cooking. Breakfast was good although you do need to go outside to get to the main building, but the lower price for the suite with the exterior entrance was well worth it . Very convenient to the plaza. Will definitely stay again!

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 July 2010

Everything truly is deserving of the highest rating. The two bedroom suite was clean, pleasant and offered a perfect living area to relax and chat. We took our son and daughter in law for a family time of fun and relaxation. The staff was excellent, from the front desk to the restaurant. Craig did an amazing job with the food especially the social hour. His skills of gourmet cooking and variety far surpassed any hotel we have stayed in including other Residence Inns. He was also most informative on what to do and where to find good BBQ. His whole staff deserve the highest ratings. If there is a con, it would be the elevator being so very slow. However, this turned out to be a plus for us as we used the stairs and walked giving us needed exercise. Location? Absolutely the best! This is the best Residence Inn we have ever stayed in!

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank familyfun4_10
Reviewed 10 June 2010

My adult daughter and I met in Kansas City to visit quite elderly family members. We picked this hotel for its proximity to the Plaza and the shopping we wanted to do before leaving town. I thought the furniture in the rooms was old and not up to Marriott standards - very dated, but clean. The people were helpful and pleasant. The chef and accompanying staff get 5 stars for their efforts and their friendly greeting to everyone who came in. The food was good. The little store was too small and too expensive. The location was excellent for shopping in the plaza. I would probably stay again for that reason only. I would recommend it with the explanation above.

• Stayed: May 2010
Reviewed 10 June 2010

If you are visiting the plaza in KC it is tough to beat this location. Not factoring in the location, the hotel itself is simply average. We stayed in a one bedroom queen suite with a pull-out couch. The room(s) seemed extremely small for a Residence Inn especially with the pull out couch extended. This may not be a big deal if traveling along or with one other person but with a family you are really cramped. If staying here with a family I would recommend going with the 2 bedroom suite or reserving two rooms. The hotel elevator is super-slow which makes a big difference when checking out on a crowded weekend and making multiple trips up and down packing up the car. The breakfast buffet was OK - both weekend mornings the place was jam-packed and they ran out of several food items both days.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank FlyonTime
Reviewed 30 April 2010

This place was perfect. My wife and I traveled to KC to catch a Twins/Royals game in Late April and this place was just what we wanted. The hotel has an excellent location walking distance to lots of restraunts and shopping during the day or evening, area is very safe around the hotel. Short Cab ride to the lights district downtown. Was only a 15 minute drive to arrowhead and kauffman stadium. Room was a studio suite and a had everything Free Wi-Fi, fridge, coffemaker, hair dryer, pull out couch, flat screen TV's etc... Hotel has pool and hot tub, and complimentary breakfast weekday mornings. very comfortable accomodations. We were very satisfied with the hotel overall.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 April 2010

They don’t really mention it on their website, but they have an on-site laundry room with two washers and four dryers. Each costs $1.50. The washers run for 40 minutes and the dryers run for an hour.

I initially got a first floor room in the East wing. These rooms require that you walk outside to get to the main building where the food is served. That was fine during nice weather, but it snowed twice during my stay. There are two rooms to a floor and no elevator. Shortly after I went to bed my first night, an upstairs neighbor came pounding down the stairs and slammed the front door to the outside. Even the maids would slam the outside door. Repeatedly. At 8 AM. On the weekend.

It seemed rather noisy, so I asked to change rooms. I couldn’t because the hotel was full. However, later in the week I was able to move into the tower. In retrospect, that was a mistake. The walls in the tower are really thin. I woke up to the beeping of the clock radio alarm of my next door neighbor at 4:45 AM. The next day was a weekend, so their alarm didn’t go off until 5 AM. It took me a long time to fall back asleep after both times. Sitting at the desk in the room, I could hear some kids having a good time in a bathtub. It turns out they were in the room on the other side of that wall. So, despite the short walk to the tower, I would recommend the East wing, though on an upper floor. One of my associates had an opera singer above him. He said that this man sang for an hour every afternoon and stomped the floor at night. In my new room, I could hear my early-alarm neighbor snoring as I tried to fall asleep.

My associates would turn on the furnace fan at night to mask the noises. Since the furnace woke me up every time it came on, I didn't try that.

The studio rooms are quite large, so much better than a regular hotel room. In a king bed room, you get two upholstered chairs. In a queen bed room, you get a sofa bed and one chair. Both include a desk with a nice office chair and a small two-person dining table. The kitchenette has a stove-top, coffee maker, toaster, microwave, refrigerator and dishwasher. There are some plates, flatware, glasses and cookware. My tower room had no sharp knives or serving utensils like those that were in the East wing room.

However, you might not need to use the kitchenette, because they offer a very nice breakfast every morning. They also have a social hour Monday through Wednesday that provides some food with beer and wine. While it’s high salt and high fat, it is more generous than other suite hotels, even other Residence Inns in KC. The kitchen and dining staff are very sweet and work really hard to please you.

The maid service does the bare minimum, so don’t expect clean where a vacuum can’t easily reach. If it doesn’t look dirty, it doesn’t get cleaned.

Another of my associates had two men walk into her room. It’s difficult for me to understand how a hotel can give guests a key card to a room that is already occupied. Either they are idiots or they have really lousy software. Perhaps both.

The hotel is currently being remodeled one floor at a time. The fifth floor reeked of glue from the week-old carpet. The smell was overpowering. Apparently buying low-VOC glue is not a priority. The remodel seems to be just new carpet, paint and window dressings for the room. I base this on the large chips in the bathtub and that the grout hadn’t been changed around the tub or door in many years. The wallpaper is either really ugly or very old; probably old. The fans really don’t have enough pull to move out odors. The windows seem to be vintage 1984. The refrigerators are noisy, so don’t appear to be new. It’s really too bad that they didn’t add some sound suppression in the walls when they “remodeled” the rooms. As a bonus in my room, the track for the drapes wasn’t hung level, so the right side rolled back to the center as soon as I opened them.

This is my second time staying here. I like to use the stairs, but apparently the staff doesn’t. On the back staircase, trash on the stairs can stay for days. I recall this from last year, also.

The “hot” tub is only lukewarm. The front desk said that the city has a limit on the temperature. It wasn’t worth using. After I asked them to turn up the hot tub heat, maintenance came into my room during the day and turned up my thermostat. Not sure how that helped.

The hotel has a great location near the Country Club Plaza. There is a creek just past the plaza with a wide concrete trail along it. My group stays here because of the room size, price, kitchen staff and food offerings.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled on business