“Fantastic hotel in downtown Kansas City” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Ambassador Hotel Kansas City, Autograph Collection

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Ambassador Hotel Kansas City, Autograph Collection
Ranked #5 of 109 Hotels in Kansas City
“Fantastic hotel in downtown Kansas City”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2012

This is a new hotel in Kansas City and it is extremely nice and very quite. We had breakfast in the restaurant and really a enjoyed the food and the setting. The hotel is located perfect for the power & light district and has easy on and off the highways. We went to the plaza and it was less than a ten minute drive. I would highly recommend this hotel and we will stay here again.

• Stayed July 2012
2 Thank Fuzzybrown

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
  • Korean first
Monterey, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2012

What an elegant surprise! On our cross country trip, we stayed in KC for a heavenly night at the new Ambassador boutique hotel. It was a wonderful change from the huge downtown Hyatt in Chicago, and the other big city hotels along the way. The Ambassador is pure class in an intimate, stylish setting convenient to downtown venues. The lobby will knock your socks off! I had the most delicious beef tenderloin for dinner in their lobby restaurant. The fingerling potatoes were unlike any I had ever had. They came with a miso coating that was outstanding. I could have eaten a bowl of that!! My husband really enjoyed his chipotle salmon. From now on it's boutique hotels for me all the way!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mary A
Washington DC, District of Columbia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2012

I very rarely go online to rate anything, but my experience at the Ambassador Hotel prompted me to warn other people about this hotel.

My husband was attending a conference in Kansas City, so my daughter and I decided we would surprise him by coming to Kansas City. The Marriott was the host hotel, but they were sold out, but the recommended the Ambassador Hotel for us to stay at. Thinking we could trust a recommendation from Marriott, we booked the hotel.

According to the website the hotel has complimentary bottled water, luxury transportation, a fitness center, and 24 hour room service. I realize that the hotel is brand new, and I understand that every business has growing pains, but this place was ridiculous. They did not have any of the items they listed on the website... at all. When we entered the property it was dark, very dark. The lobby was very cold in the way it looked. Very dim lighting. Narrow. Etc. At first we did not see the registration area. After looking around, someone at the desk noticed we looked lost and asked if they could help us. We told her we needed to check in. She rushed through the checkin, had me sign a piece of paper, and then told us the elevator was behind us. We did not see anyone around to help us with our luggage, and since she was the only person at the desk, we did not ask her to help us. We did not see a luggage cart so we took our luggage in two trips.

The room we were in was quite large, and was on the fifth floor. There was only one working elevator, and it was very slow to get anywhere. When we got to our room, we were very surprised. The room was very large, but again felt very cold. Black carpet bland grey walls, almost no artwork in the room at all. The bathroom was large, and very clean. When we went to put our clothes away, there was a layer of dust on everything, in every drawer, and on every surface. We just wanted to put our stuff away, and go meet my husband for dinner, so we took a washcloth from the bathroom and wiped everything down. In the closet they had two fantastic robes for us to use.

We returned to the desk, and inquired about transportation to the Marriott. We were told that there was no one there to drive the shuttle, but the Marriott was just a few block up the road. So much for the transportation! It was well over a hundred degrees outside, but we got directions and walked up to meet my husband at the Marriott. The Marriott suggested that we have dinner in the Power District, which we did. By the time was had dinner it was getting later in the night, and my daughter wanted to stay and go to a few of the bars. I handed her a hotel key that was in a paper envelope with the hotel phone number on it. I told her to call the hotel when she was ready to come home. My daughter came in around 11pm, and told me that she could not get a hold of the hotel, because of a wrong phone number on the key packet. She walked back to the Marriott, and got her dad to get her a ride back to the Ambassador. I am glad she did not walk back, as this hotel is not in a good part of town. There was a bum laying down on a bench outside the hotel. My daugher was hungry for a snack when she got back to the hotel, so we called down to the restaurant, and somehow we got the front desk. The person at the desk seemed clueless when we called down to order food. We were told that the kitchen was closed, and that room service was not yet available.

The next morning we came downstairs to inquire about going to either the country club or the market. The guy at the desk said that either was a great idea, and told us a lot about each one. We decided to head to the market, and wait for my husband to get off to go to the country club. We inquired about a ride to the market, and the guy at the desk said that he would find someone to take us down there. We finally got a ride in a very nice shuttle to the market, but this time I had the correct phone number to call to get a ride back. We appreciated the recommendation, as my daughter and I really enjoyed the market.

Upon our return to the hotel, we had a few hours to kill before my husbands meetings were over, and my daughter and I decided we would work out. When we called the front desk to inquire as to where the fitness center was, the young lady informed us that the fitness center was not yet ready. She apologized, and told us that there were some local fitness centers we could go to, but they all charged. When we called down to the desk, we got the guy that recommended the market, and he informed me that he could get us a free pass to the YMCA. He told us that it was about a half a mile away, and that the shuttle could take us. As much as I appreciated the suggestion, taking the shuttle to the gym just did not seem like something we wanted to do, so we passed.

The rooms were clean, there is no doubt about that. The only problem was that nothing was put back in the room. They give you one bottle of shampoo, conditioner, and body wash. You get a mini bar of soap that is a true joke. Each time we wanted to take a shower, we had to call down and ask for soap, body wash, shampoo... and towels. They took the towels both days and did not return them. They did not replace coffee, and we never did find creamer for the coffee.

All in all, this was a horrible experience at the Ambassador hotel. They did not deliver on any of what they claim to offer. The hotel is dark and dingy. The rooms very large and bland. The staff was hit and miss. I am writing this review in hopes that you will not choose this hotel if you are in Kansas City. All of these wonderful reviews are inaccurate.

Room Tip: Look elsewhere.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Janet D
Michael H, General Manager at Ambassador Hotel Kansas City, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, 9 August 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking time to review your recent stay at the Ambassador Hotel. We appreciate your comments regarding our large, spacious rooms and bathrooms. As you mentioned we have been open for a few weeks and I would like to apologize for any lapse in service that you experienced. We take great pride in ensuring each of our guests has a memorable experience. Our unique look, both in our lobby and guest rooms, was carefully created by our interior designer and architects so that our guests would experience a modern, beautiful atmosphere while in a historic building. Please contact me next time you visit Kansas City so I can ensure you have a wonderful experience.

Best Regards
Michael Hammontree
Kansas City, Missouri
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2012

We recently stayed at the Ambassador for a birthday evening out at P&L. As we checked in we were warmly greeted and check in was a breeze. We had reserved a group of three rooms and all were placed close to each other which worked out very well. The lobby was very classy and reminded me of old fashioned glamour style. The rooms were gorgeous (we had a corner king with a couch and seating area) and included a large bathroom and huge shower, along with a small fridge, complimentary bottled water and Keurig coffee maker. Very spacious and spotless. I am a bit of a clean freak and I must say I found nothing to turn my nose up at-which is unusual in a hotel. After all of our group checked in we figured out we had a birthday cake but no knife to cut it. A quick call to the lobby (only asking for a knife) and a few minutes later someone brought up not only the knife but eight place settings for cake! Talk about service! We also utilized the convenient town car service to P& L. Our driver was friendly and fun and the ride, although quick, was very nice and convenient in the heat. It is worth noting that the walk back from P&L late at night is a very short distance...even in high heels. We also ate breakfast in the Reserve the next morning and both the server and the food were wonderful. Warm beignets and an omelette made to order? Yes please! Overall everyone in our party was very pleased with their stay at this lovely hotel. I would not hesitate to book here again.

Room Tip: We had a corner king room on the 5th floor and it was perfect!
2 Thank stanze5
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2012

We hadn't realized we were getting to stay at a brand new hotel when we made the reservations. The hotel was a lovely surprise with big, elegantly decorated rooms, comfy beds, unbelievably soft towels and robes, and a great big bed. The lobby is pure old Hollywood glamour. Walking distance from the Power and Lights Dostrict. The staff was friendly and very helpful!

Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Patti M
Kansas City, Missouri
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2012

Downtown Kansas City was in desperate need of a fine boutique hotel.

As residents of Kansas City we often enjoy a quick weekend getaway to the downtown area for concerts and such. This particular weekend we needed a large suite with two bedrooms and an entertaining area to celebrate my wife’s birthday. Suites like this are rare downtown. The manager, Michael Hammontree, went above and beyond to make this weekend perfect. The staff was quick to smile and handled every request promptly. They even called and let me know that we left a few items after our stay, which they offered to ship to us. All of our guests were exceedingly impressed with the décor and food. We didn’t get to eat at the restaurant, but we ordered room service multiple times and were impressed with all the dishes. I particularly enjoyed the tuna tartar, the burger and fries, and everyone loved the hummus.

I can’t wait for my next excuse to stay downtown.

Room Tip: Ask for the parlor suite and the adjoining room for a great view of the nightlife with room to sprea...
1 Thank kelsosfriend
Bellevue, Nebraska, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2012

I stayed at the Ambassador July 21, 2012 with four other girls for my bachelorette party. I was skeptical at first because I knew it was brand new and there were no reviews online of it when we booked reservations. However, we thought the location right by Power and Light couldn't be beat so we took a chance. I cannot even believe I thought twice about it. As soon as we walked in I was blown away. This place is beautiful! I was a little confused when we walked in and didn't see a front desk right away; I thought maybe we had gone in the wrong door. After we walked a few steps though, the desk was just to the right. They checked us in and were so nice and polite to us even though we were kind of complete messes from being at Oceans of Fun all day. They asked us if we had plans for dinner and when we named the place we wanted to eat at, they immediately offered to make reservations for us (which was very helpful). They said the bar, which looked pretty nice, would be open all night which we were excited about but unfortunately didn't get to try (Power and Light all night instead). When we got to our rooms, every one of us were floored by how awesome they were. The colors, the furniture, the fabulous robes, the shower that could be it's own room, the light up mirrors, the little seat you can sit on when you do your hair, the Keurigs, the iPod stations, the wardrobe closet, the enormous amount of space...we felt like we were royalty. Granted, for girls in their early twenties we haven't seen a lot of fancy hotel rooms, but this certainly set a pretty high standard. We were actually the first people to ever use our rooms, which was pretty cool. The drain on my sink wasn't connected to the sink (by-product of everything being brand new), and when I called to tell them, they had someone come upstairs at as soon as we needed to fix it. Very professional, courteous, and helpful.

Their parking lot could use a sign; we called to ask if they had one and they said it was around back, and it would be $15 per night to park there. As it was the weekend, we parked at a meter across the street for free instead.

Again, this location can't be beat. We all agreed if we ever stay in Kansas City again, we have to stay at the Ambassador. We got two rooms with a king size bed in each for $179 each; if we had known how big the rooms were we could have easily put all five of us in one room. Having two bathrooms was nice though : ) Still an amazing value for such a fantastic hotel in downtown Kansas City. Congratulations to them on opening such a beautiful hotel this summer!

4 Thank Sara S