Ambassador Hotel Kansas City, Autograph Collection
Ranked #5 of 109 Hotels in Kansas City
St Louis
“fabulous hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2012

We stayed at the Ambassador this past Friday for the KC half marathon. The rooms are gorgeous and luxurious. The price was not bad for such a beautiful accommodations. I did not want to get out of bed for the run the next morning. The beds are fantastic! And there was a Kreuig coffee maker in our room w/ several pods to choose from. The shower was huge! And the toiletries the hotel provides are high quality.
The people at the front desk were helpful and friendly.
My husband and I agree that we are definitely going to go back for another stay. Would be a great place to celebrate an anniversary.
We did not eat at the hotel restaurant, but my mom tells me that its wonderful. Can't wait to go back!

3 Thank joneskcj
Michael H, General Manager at Ambassador Hotel Kansas City, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, 27 October 2012
We appreciate you taking time to write such a nice review. I am very happy you were pleased with your stay. As you mentioned all our rooms have Keurig coffee makers, we also provide complimentary bottled water and WIFI for all our guests. We have received many great comments about our comfortable beds and large showers. I hope you will think of us again next time you visit Kansas City!.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
  • Korean first
Troy, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2012

I stayed at the Ambassador for three nights last week while attending a conference. Conference hotel was the Marriott, but it got booked up prior to planning my trip, and I'm glad it did! Loved the Ambassador!!! My room was huge, updated, and modern with an old world feel, since it is a historic buidling. From what I understand, the hotel has only been open for about 5 months. Everything is fresh and new. I did not want to leave the day of my departure. The restaurant and lounge area is just phenomenal. Hotel staff was very courteous. Their shuttle, which was a Cadillac Escalade, took me and my colleagues everywhere we needed to go and picked us up. All the shuttling was no extra charge, but we did tip well. Even the Exec. Chef was very friendly and the food was creatively ensembled and extremely fresh. The only downside to staying at the hotel was that the views are not great. I was on the 7th floor facing an office buiding. The employees could see me if I stood in front of the window with the draperies open. That didn't really bother me because I didn't stay there for the outside views. I'm more concerned about the quaility of the hotel on the inside. Also, my key would not work one evening that I returned to the hotel. However, the hotel staff was right on it. I will be attending the same conference in two years, and I will definitely be staying at the Ambassador again! I can't wait.

Room Tip: I can not comment on swimming pool and spa because I did not get a chance to enjoy those services...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank latonia_spencer
Thank you for such a great review about your experience during your visit to Kansas City. I am happy you were able to take advantage of the complimentary car service we provide our guests. I have shared your comments of the food with our Executive Chef and he was thrilled. I look forward to seeing you again in two years when you return for the conference.
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 October 2012

New hotel --We were only in KS for one night and found this on hotels.com ---VERY awesome furniture & modern finishes --Everything was very clean except the bed sheets which looked like the pillow cases had mascara stains. The A/C blew on the bed I was sleeping in on and off the entire night giving me a very sore throat in the morning. The 2 vanities in the bathroom was a very nice touch along with a very nice walk in shower -- This hotel is not very close to walkable restaurants but the complimentary shuttle really adds a nice extra touch :)

• 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your comments about your recent stay at the Ambassador Kansas City. I am happy you enjoyed our beautifully designed hotel. I have shared your comments regarding the air conditioner with my maintenance department and they have been able to resolve the issue. I hope you will stay with us again next time you visit Kansas City.
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 October 2012 via mobile

I was so excited to visit the Ambassador Hotel, but I have to admit we left a full day early. I was very disappointed with some of the basics of hotel stays. The technology at the hotel needs some review, getting in and out of lot with car and paying 15 per day on parking... Worthless- had to keep calling hotel front desk, got soaked, was just horrible. Then first nite we walk into a gorgeous room only to find the sheets and bed duvet have brown stains ( similar to blood stains after washing) then a stain on sheet an pillow case, we stripped those items, it was late but we didn't want to sleep on them.

Then we continued to have key issues to get into the room, was getting very frustrated at this point, and then the last time key wouldn't work we were stuck in the hall with people next to us screaming having wild intimate time that you could here down the hallway. Enough we had of this amusement ride and went to check out.

Manager has sent an email took care of the parking, but by no means would I refer this to any of my business associates. I understand hotel is new and has some growing pains, but this was the biggest disappointment and really hampered out weekend get away.

Although the manager has taken care of parking I felt he should have offered more, and feel I should not have to ask. I had a similar incident at a Hilton and they were all over taking care of my first night for a cleanliness issue.

I say be wary of this hotel, it gorgeous, but we have some growing pains happening. But until I see some more review I will discourage folks from staying here. I will say I have never had a more caring staff and very polite. The staff is better than most Waldorf Astoria's, I have to say that was the only great thing.

• Stayed October 2012
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank MidwestTracking
I am so sorry you had a bad experience when you stayed with us earlier this month. I know we have been in contact and I trust everything has been resolved to your satisfaction. I have shared your comments with our team and we appreciate your constructive feedback. I hope you will stay with us next time you are in Kansas City, please contact me at any time if you do choose to return. Best Regards
Fort Worth, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 October 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Ambassador for our anniversary. Beautiful boutique hotel, with an awesome place to eat. The staff we very friendly and ready to take care of our needs. They offer transportation service that allowed us to enjoy the night life of KC, which we did, but we wanted to go back to hotel and enjoy their beignets and coffee. Love the atmosphere. Would highly recommend for romantic getaway, and also would be a fun place to go with friends!!

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for spending your anniversary with us! I am thrilled you enjoyed your stay and that you had the opportunity to enjoy our famous beignets. I hope you will return each year to celebrate your special occasion.
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 October 2012

Having traveled to many major cities, I can see the big city potential in downtown Kansas City, MO. Much to my surprise the Power and Light District seems a bit sleepy during the week, but of course its not basketball season quite yet. The locals tell me as soon as the season starts the streets will be filled with sports fans. A short twenty minute trip from the Kansas side of town to downtown Kansas City proved to be worth the trip. As I walked into the chic well decorated Ambassador Hotel, I knew then Kansas City had arrived and I found it's thriving metropolitan potential. Potential in a swanky lobby, with welcoming staff, great food, and even better service. Fortunately for the residents of Kansas City the price to stay and play are still small city, but the experience is worldwide. Go to have fun with the girls, celebrate a birthday, or have a romantic getaway. I promise you'll go back!

Room Tip: Its not easy to spot as a traveler if you don't know the streets in Kansas City, just look for t...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Kat T
Michael H, General Manager at Ambassador Hotel Kansas City, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, 16 October 2012
Thank you for such a great review, I am very happy you enjoyed staying at the Ambassador Hotel and I hope you return to stay with us again very soon!
Menlo Park, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 October 2012

Stayed here for business on Sept 23rd. Quiet local area as most downtowns are, but couldn't be more convenient for me, as I had business at UMB Financial 1 block away. It's brand new, and they have hired at least 1 person from the Raphael. I checked-in at 1 am, and although the check-in area is small, there was someone waiting for me.

There wasn't a doorman or baggage help, so if you are looking for that, I think it could be improved upon. They don't walk you to the elevator, but both of these things are high fallutin things that I don't worry about, and certainly don't need to pay for...

As a new hotel, the lounge area was spotless, and very hip [Morgans Hotel/Kimpton Hotel style]. I found it interesting that they take the time to separate the newspaper [USA Today] into the 4 different sections at the bar area in the morning. I had not seen that before, and it makes for a lot less clutter I guess, spreading out the extra sections. I didn't eat here so can't comment on the food service, nor do I recall if their kitchen is open late or not.

Normally I like to use the gym/fitness center, but I did not have the chance this time, but I hope to. As I write, I was hoping to book the hotel for 9 days out, but it looks like it is sold out already!!!!

Other important things for me:
(1) Good bed and bedding, very firm and clean.
(2) Adequate power sockets. This annoys me when there are no extra sockets by the bed, or they are hard to reach. I have a CPAP machine, as well as wish to charge things by the bed, so having adequate power sockets is a pet peeve of mine...
(3) Shower. Huge size [not that I am that big, or was having a party in there], but it allows for good lighting from the bathroom. I like decent lighting [but not too bright] in there... Good pressure and toiletries were good.
(4) Extra amenities were there- not like in Asia where you don't have to bring a thing, but they add things like cotton swabs, emery boards etc...
(5) Value- not sure b/c it is just starting, but pricing is very reasonable, even for KC.

Anything to work on?
(1) For some reason I recall that the lighting was a little too white or fluorescent looking vs incandescent. I like the incandescent lighting a lot better.
(2) Few rooms? I can't get in for next week!!!!

It looks like this small group of hotels which started from Tulsa is doing some good things, and I wish them well.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank Voondawg
Michael H, General Manager at Ambassador Hotel Kansas City, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, 7 October 2012
Thank you for your kind comments, I am very pleased that you enjoyed your stay. We truly value our partnership with UMB and we look forward to many future visits.