“Not as what I expected”

Sama Zama
Ranked #428 of 1,519 Restaurants in Kansas City
Cuisines: Japanese
Reviewed 15 August 2015

Although their restaurant's ambience and staff are awesome, their ramen and fried rice were very average.

Reviewed 5 March 2015

This made me feel like I was back in Japan. I had miso soup, tonkatsu (breaded pork) on a bed of cabbage, a salad, gyoza, and rice. The gyoza wasn't as good as I remember it in Japan, but the tonkatsu was excellent, complete with bulldog sauce. Very good service at lunch time, which can be a bit busy, but truly reminiscent of my stay in Japan. Good to have another good restaurant in the Westport area.

Reviewed 20 December 2014 via mobile

I visited this restaurant through the Taste of Kansas City Food tours. Tried seaweed salad for the first time and the most amazing fried mushrooms. The seaweed salad was very colorful and full of flavor. I have only seen drabby dark seaweed, but at Sama Zama, they use the brightest and tastiest seaweed! I will definitely come to visit this place on my next visit to KC...

Reviewed 1 July 2014

One of my favorite food discoveries on a trip to Japan years ago was okonomiyaki--a dish I was surprised to have never seen before on the menu at Japanese restaurants in the US (something between a frittata and a pancake, with a variety of fillings and toppings). To my delight, there is a a restaurant that serves excellent okonomiyaki in Kansas City--Sama Zama. Have been there several times, and always very pleased with the food and the service. To me, okonomiyaki is perfect brunch food. They also have some delicious and unique cocktails. Additionally, I really like Sama Zama's cheerful and inviting decor that does remind me of some places I saw in Tokyo.

Reviewed 1 May 2014

We went there for their Ramen noodle. Have the pork soup stock noodle with extra spicy flavor. It was quite hot. The noodle lived up its reputation. However, it was pricy. For a bowl of noodle with not a lot of meat, it cost me $14, adding tip and tax, it came out to be $18 just for a bowl of noodle soup. That is a little expensive even in the Westport area.