“Great hotel, close to downtown” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Courtyard Kansas City at Briarcliff

Courtyard Kansas City at Briarcliff
Ranked #32 of 109 Hotels in Kansas City
Omaha, Nebraska
“Great hotel, close to downtown”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2013

I visited Kansas City for a quick trip with friends this weekend. We usually stay at the Marriott downtown, but needed to add a room at the last minute and couldn't, so I rebooked us at the Courtyard Briarcliff.

The hotel is very new and well-kept. The location is a quiet area just north of downtown and the hotel is situated on a hill that provides great views of the city. It's only about a 10 minute drive straight down Highway 169 into downtown, so it is very convenient if that's your destination.

We enjoyed relaxing on the large patio behind the lobby, which also has a firepit (although it wasn't turned on while we were there). It was a nice place to gather in the evening and watch fireworks over the city. The lobby itself also has several spaces to hang out/relax. Guests can purchase breakfast in the morning, lunch in the afternoon, and drinks in the evening from the bar.

The rooms were very nice. We had the larger king rooms with a sofa sleeper. (The sofa sleeper wasn't very comfortable, but I wasn't expecting much from it anyway.) The rooms were very spacious, with a large work desk, 2 TVs (one for the bed, one for the couch), 2 small refrigerators, small coffee maker, a large wardrobe & chest of drawers, and a good size bathroom. There was no bathtub, but the shower was a good size, and being over 6' tall, I appreciated that the shower head was well above my head. My only complaint about the room layout is that the controls for the shower were on the side wall (not below the shower head), so I kept knocking my arm on it.

I didn't get a chance to use the fitness center, but I did walk by and take a look. It seemed to be what I would expect for a mid-range business-class hotel: variety of cardio equipment, free weights, some strength equipment; not a full-blown gym, but more than just a treadmill stuck in the corner. The pool and hot tub area looked well-kept too.

I would highly recommend this location for anyone looking to stay close to downtown without actually being in downtown, or in the north KC area. Be aware there is really nothing within walking distance (no restaurants, stores, etc.), but is a nice quiet area. The free parking and free wireless networking throughout provide a good value.

Room Tip: Executive King rooms are very spacious. Other reviewers suggest the top floor may be better to avoi...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank schumatt

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Austin
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2013

We checked in for one night and asked for a quiet room. The first room was right by the elevator and vending, so we asked again and got a room right over the very loud AC units. Then asked for a room near the first one but got one over the AC units again, just one floor up. We gave up, since we had a graduation to get to. Later that evening, we bought a glass of wine and looked for a quiet place to sit. An unbelievably noisy group, who obviously had been drinking, was wrapping up their event in the meeting room and came through the lobby, falling down and dropping things. The guard at the front door just watched them, and we headed back to our room. We expressed our disappointment over our room to the desk person as we checked out, but he was distracted by a family that was trying to work out a large overcharge on their bill. He blankly smiled at us and handed us our receipt, and we left. We shared our concern with Marriott. Our experience was very disappointing, since it's an attractive hotel and convenient location.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Rhu4barb
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2013

Courtyards are very similar from location to location, which is not a bad thing. Courtyards are consistently comfortable with friendly service. This Courtyard really stands out though. It has a great exterior--much more unique than most Courtyards. The rooms are nice and come with glass showers (even Marriott hotels typically just come with bathtubs and shower curtains). The fitness center is spacious and very nice. The outdoor area is really nice and provides a good view of Kansas City's skyline. The only negative are the the room rates, which seem high for the area.

Pros: Great exterior for a Courtyard, very nice, modern and well appointed rooms for a Courtyard, nice lobby, fitness center and outdoor dining area for a Courtyard.

Cons: Room rates are high, but the high room rates are probably due to the location (very nice area) and how this hotel is nicer than most Courtyards.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
Council Bluffs, Iowa
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2013

The soundproofing in this hotel in NONEXISTANT. Both nights I stayed I could literall hear people above us. It sounded as if there was a herd of elephants partying all night. I did call the front desk twice on the first night. After the second call, I could hear the front desk knock on the door of the room above me...so that makes me wonder how loud the upstairs guest really were?

The morning of my last day at this hotel, I went out to my car to discover that my car had been side-swiped and whomever did it left the scene. I went back into the hotel to ask them if they had cameras on the parking lot...and they showed me that they did, but THEY DO NOT RECORD! What a joke is that? I had to go to the police station and file a report and they said the same thing... A hotel parking lot without cameras that record is a complete WASTE. the officer told me that everyone knows that hotel lots are a hotspot to break into cars, and by not recording they are in complete disregard for their guests safety.

I would exect more that that.

Room Tip: top floor to avoid unsual amount of noise coming from upper floors
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
Blue Springs, Missouri
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2013

This hotel has no valet, no bellman and NO ROOM SERVICE! It is a lovely hotel and has private areas for watching TV in the lobby. However, you can't grab a bite and/or a cocktail without being right in the middle of the lobby with no privacy. You get a well furnished, clean room with a coffee maker and a view..no services. I am not big on self-service hotels and it isn't inexpensive. They do have a great event venue.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2013 via mobile

This is a new building (September), still with some construction going on. In most ways, this is a typical new style Courtyard, with a bistro and lots of communal lobby seating. While the room was pretty typical and comfortable, there were many small problems that lead to a less than stellar stay. Two rows of parking in front of the hotel are marked for energy efficient cars and carpools. I want to join the carpool that stays at a hotel! Our typical Courtyard room is a king bed with a couch. In this hotel, king beds are charged at a premium, so we stayed in a two bed room with a chair. We travel on business, and often have to wait for the other to complete the day's meetings. At most Marriotts, a late check out is usually 2, sometimes 3 (we are Rewards members). An unhelpful desk clerk allowed us an ungenerous extension of 1:00, and then didn't record it, so we got calls the next day. To get to our room, we had to navigate contractor's extension cords laying unsupervised in front of the elevator. It seems that every door in the place is extremely heavy, hard to open, and have a quirk that pops out the dead bolt so the door doesn't fully close when you enter your room. Certainly a security problem. All public areas require you to swipe your key card, I understand the pool, but to get back inside from the patio? Are they afraid someone is going to hijack the lobby? There is a little food/convenience store, but prices are only listed on a sheet on a high shelf, lit by a light that shines right in your eyes as you are trying to see. Internet seems usually OK , but has oddly timed very slow periods. I had to spend some time in the lobby waiting to leave, but the loud music prevented me from doing much work. The hotel is in the typical Courtyard sterile setting, in an office park, a long uninteresting walk to a small "upscale" shopping center with a few restaurants and a small natural foods grocery. The pool, spa, and workout room are above average, with the same great views as the patio overlooking downtown Kansas City and the sunset. Unfortunately, you must cross the entire lobby and eating area to get to the pool, not fun in a dripping wet swimsuit. It appears that planning and management for this hotel is well below average. Enough griping. And I'm usually prett easy to please.

Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
Saint Louis, Missouri
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2013

We stayed at the Courtyard Marriott in February for a family wedding. This was our first outing with our baby at a hotel and are a little upset with how the staff handled our reservation. We called 3 weeks before the wedding to reserve a room in the block of rooms that was held for the wedding. We were told that all we had to do was give our name and the room would be available. We also asked for a crib or pack n play, as this would be the first time traveling with our newborn at a hotel and were told all nice hotels had them. The girl that took our name, held her hand over the phone to ask someone if the hotel had them, then came back with a small giggle and said, no they didn't. On the day of the wedding we arrived to check in and the lady at the front, said that they may not have a room available! After we called 3 weeks ago to reserve the room, this was VERY frustrating. Eventually they found ONE room left. REALLY?? If they hadn't we would have been very upset. The wedding was very nice, although the atrium where the ceremony was held was sauna like, the staff for the wedding was very friendly. Our night stay in the room was good. Room was clean and new. The next day when we checked out we told them about some of our issues and were told that the hotel does in fact have cribs for little ones. Overall this was a very nice hotel, but we have had MUCH better service by booking on Priceline at half the price. And probably wont be staying in this hotel again. If booking here I would make sure that the staff has been well trained and all reservation issues have been resolved.

Room Tip: If booking here I would make sure that the staff has been well trained and all reservation issues ha...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with family