“Wish I could rate it zero” 1 of 5 bubbles

Cuisines: Chinese, Asian, Mongolian
Good for: Child-friendly, Groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Kansas City, Missouri
“Wish I could rate it zero”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2013

I went here with my boyfriend at 9pm and they talked me into trying the buffet. BIG MISTAKE. It was terrible. I asked my waiter if I could just order something off of the menu like I normally do he said yes, but the manager came over and had a different answer. He told me he was charging me $13.00 for the buffet AND $12.00 for the new food!! I was appalled!!! I have never been to a restaurant where if you are not happy with your food they charge you for the new meal you order!!! I fought with him over it, and finally said take the food I don't like and I am not ordering anything else. I sat there while my boyfriend ate. The manager came back after 10 minutes and told me he changed his mind he would give me what I wanted off the menu free. He acted like he was doing me a favor by doing that. I declined and told him it was too late and that he had lost a frequent customer. I have never had an experience like that with a MANAGER at a restaurant before. Not really a way to keep your customers coming back. I wont be back ever. My waiter was great, it was just poor management.

• Visited May 2013

Kansas City, Kansas
“Heard big things ...... not so big after all”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2013

Went to GK exspecting big things, we were a party of 25, so I had plenty of folks to compare to. We ordered off the menu to see what all the fus was about. The tso chicken was rated number one in the city by a local news print, not sure who they compared it to but I have had alot better several times in the city. Way too sweet and no bite was just plain very disappointed to say the least. The desert tray was missing and I saw alot of wasted food setting on the tables. The sever added the grat as normal but then just assumed that I was going to give him more from my change. I would have but thats my choice to give more or not and the service was just so so, you pay 6 dollars for a beer you would hope that 75% of it wasn't foam. So 40 dollars will get you one dinner with 2 drinks oh and some bland dumplings the buffet didn't look any better. I will not go back and I doubt we have any more gatherings there either.

• Visited April 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Lawrence, KS
“Great for carnivores and vegans alike!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2013

While I'd like to review the entire menu, I always get the same thing: The mongolian BBQ. Unless you are from the 13th Century, you already know that a mongolian BBQ is a do-it-yourself affair in which you provide a series of ingredients and your meal is quickly sautéed on a searing hot surface (apparently in homage to Mongolian warriors who flipped over their shields to make dinner).

Unlike other late-comers, this is NOT a change and has been in the KC area for decades (although they have another location by the airport). I've been to many other Mongolian BBQs throughout the country and this one stays my favorite for a few simple reasons.

First, they have a interesting mix of ingredients to throw into your stir fry such as roasted potatoes, fried tofu and a variety of mushrooms. The pescatarians will love the variety of seafood and ominovores will enjoy the bounty from the animal kingdom. As a snack while you wait they've got a sesame bread, crab rangoon, and hot wings. Great combinations abound.

Second, they've got less pre-made sauces and more do it yourself variety. A series of infused oils and waters allow you to mix up your own sauce with some handy suggestions. No "teriyaki" sauce but they do have soy sauce, sugar water, and wine to make your own. A handy tip is if you want such things as minced garlic or ginger go to the infused waters and scoop from the bottom of the bowl since the juicy bits fall right to the bottom. I'm a total ginger lover (redheads are the bomb!)

Finally, in spite of the variety of animal products, they are extremely vegan and vegetarian friendly. Anything with animal products is clearly marked (which in Asian cooking there is often hidden shrimp and oysters). If you pick a vegetarian bowl for your stir-fry they'll be sure to use separate utensils during the stir fry process. Very cool. The secret menu item for vegetarians is the delicious vegan broth with large chunks of tofu and crunchy celery and bean sprouts.

The atmosphere is feels very traditional, although to be fair I've never been to China, especially China of the 13th century. The artistic black and white photographs on the wall really do make me feel like I'm right there and the hardwood floors and lanterns are very un-western and particularly unique. Again, this isn't a chain and it isn't about being hip here but rather quality food.

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank Daveg66044
Shawnee Mission, Kansas
“Mix and match”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 October 2012

I am a vegetarian and love to have all the veggies with their hot spicy recipe which goes well with the house served bread and ask for brown rice.

Visited August 2012
King City, Missouri, United States
“Fun buffet, friendly host and servers, good food - as healthy as you want it to be”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 September 2012

Genghis Khan's north location is about 75 miles from home and worth the drive. One of our favorite places for a weekend lunch. The host always recognizes us and is always cordial. The all-you-can-eat buffet bar is stocked with fresh veggies, finely sliced meats, and seafood on ice. The service is very good and the wait staff is very attentive. We think what sets this grill apart from other Mongolian Grills we've visited is you mix your own choices of condiments and spices to suit your individual tastes. The food is an excellent value.

• Visited September 2012