“Best burnt ends”

Cuisines: Barbecue
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch, Takeout
Reviewed 20 July 2013

We've been to KC several times and sampled lots of BBQ (including a couple previous visits here) and happy to find it's still good as ever. That's not saying it's my favorite KC BBQ, but it ranks right up there. It's a downtown dive so don't go expecting service or ambience -- it is what it is, which is just fine! Burnt ends are the best in town, pulled pork is good, sliced beef just okay. Some in my group prefer other sauces, but everyone agreed this was very good and portions large. Add fries and beans and you've got more than you can eat. Don't forget the napkins!

1  Thank Soxgirl58
Write a ReviewReviews (1,436)

Reviewed 19 July 2013

I was traveling through Kansas City and I stopped into Arthur Bryants for dinner. I tried the burnt ends, pulled pork, ribs and baked beans. The baked beans were incredible. It was a little pricey but you have to be willing to spend that when you're getting some solid Q. I enjoyed the laid back ambiance and seating. I felt like I was at a picnic which is perfect when eating some messy BBQ. I've heard people complain about this place but I think that has more to do with them being spoiled by growing up with amazing BBQ. I would definitely recommend this place to anybody visiting Kansas City.

1  Thank SuperCrunchyGranola
Reviewed 18 July 2013

One of our "travel goals" in Kansas City was to try several of the different "highlight" BBQ places... Arthur Bryant's was the best hands down. Like most little BBQ joints, their friendliness could use some work, but the food was excellent. We will definitely come back here, though the crowds & price would probably keep us from returning over and over again.

Reviewed 15 July 2013

The place is good but expensive. The portion sizes are average for a BBQ joint. The burnt ends and pulled pork were average at best and the fries are nothing to write about. The ribs at $20 a slab were not nearly worth it. The service is a different experience. The place is famous so they don't treat you with any kind of respect, pretty typical for a place like this from my experiences. Go in with an open mind and it is not so bad. My wife and kids were not used to what I like to call "assertive politeness". The place is busy and don't try to go in the other room without being "TOLD" (not asked) to by the floor staff. You will get a scolding if you were not "TOLD" to enter it. No joke! The area it is located is not for those who are scared of urban areas. Like I said it is not the best BBQ joint in the Midwest or even in KC. It is famous so we gave it a try, I will not return or recommend. On a bright note the TOGO orders looked better than the sit down orders.

Reviewed 12 July 2013

First, I thought the food was amazing. I'm not from KC so I can't tell you its the best in town but I can say that it was some of the best BBQ that I've had. I would recommend the combo so you get a little variety but I don't think that you need to go any further than the burnt ends. Awesome!
The experience was half the fun. The staff isn't interested in answering questions, they want your order now! With the noise in the restaurant I probably wouldn't have been able to hear them anyways. Come hungry and be ready for a fun cafeteria style meal with some good people watching.

1  Thank jjp644