“Go for the Steaks and History, Not the Fish”
Review of Golden Ox Restaurant and Lounge - CLOSED

Golden Ox Restaurant and Lounge
Price range: US$30 - US$45
Good for: Groups
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: 16th
Transit: The Twelfth Street Bus has a stop directly in front of the restaurant.
Reviewed 8 June 2014

65-year old steakhouse in what once was the Kansas City stockyards. Situated in the old Stockyard Exchange Building, you get a sense of how large an operation it once was.

The restaurant is very large and rustic. The meat dishes were outstanding, but fish dishes were reportedly dry. The baked potatoes were only luke warm. The best was an appetizer tray - great ribs and onion rings.

There are newer reviews for Golden Ox Restaurant and Lounge

Reviewed 8 May 2014

My wife and I wanted to see some KC history, so went to Golden Ox. It was a museum and we enjoyed the info. Unfortunately, everything else is "museum:" The interior is 'tired', our food needed sauce, because it was 'tired;' my gosh, even the credit card machine was 'tired'. The waiter apologized ahead of time for the wait we would have on the card, because the machine was from the 80's. Our waiter was the only redeeming factor as he did everything he could to overcome the 'tired' surroundings. Visit the museum, pass on the food.

Reviewed 7 April 2014

The place has a cool history, it's a place should visit for that reason. The service was very good, supper friendly. Food was just so so. It's famous for steak, and it's in Kansas, so I was expecting much more that what I got. I ordered the rib eye, which was recommended, but there's no seasoning on the steak at all. I could even taste some charcoal starter. Where's the Kansas Steak Rub or steak sauce? Texas Roadhouse has better tasting steak.

Reviewed 24 February 2014

This was my first time eating at the Golden Ox. First the decor is very dated and museum quality...maybe it is suppose to be a historical view of Kansas City. It appeared to be fairly clean but could use some better lighting.

Our service was very slow as there was a luncheon meeting going on at the same time. We waited 20 minutes to be waited on the first time...after we found out the lunch special was out (KC Strip of all things...a steakhouse running out of steaks??) we had to reorder.

I re-ordered a burnt ends and brisket combo, with french fries and baked bean. Once our order was placed, our food came out pretty quick. It was hot and the quanity was very pleasing. As far as taste, the burnt ends and brisket had very little "smoke" taste and relied on the house BBQ sauce for any flavor...which was pretty common. In a town noted for BBQ, the Golden Ox missed the mark on that one. The hot rolls were cold and at least a day old as they were dried out.

As we were finishing up our meal, our waiter brought our table of 7 two pieces of left over cake from the luncheon meeting and told us we could share. He appologized for the poor service and hoped this would help...not a clue on his part.

Reviewed 22 February 2014 via mobile

Went with some friends tonight while in KC. One of my friends had been here about 15 years ago and had good memories. The decor was very 70's retro. I have a feeling this restaurant has seen better days. The prices were typical for a high end steak house but the food was average at best. One of our steaks had to be sent back twice and by the time it was finally ready it was too charred to eat. Luckily the waiter did a good job recovering and didn't charge us v for that steak. He even brought 2 desserts on the house. So for the service I would give it a 3 out of 5 but the food was a 2 out of 5. I am glad we went as it was an experience to eat in the stockyard area but I would never go back. On the way out the door I noticed all the awards in the wall were at least 10 years old. That explained why my friend had such good memories but sadly it seems the Golden Ox has went downhill.