“Good, But Not My Favorite”

Jack Stack Barbecue - Martin City
Ranked #4 of 1,421 Restaurants in Kansas City
Cuisines: American, Barbecue
Good for: Groups, Child-friendly, Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Bennington, Nebraska
“Good, But Not My Favorite”
Reviewed 2 November 2013

We really enjoyed the Jack Flats downtown and decided to stop in to this one because we were south of KC. The wait on a Friday night around 6:30 PM was about 15 minutes. Service was excellent. The food was okay but not as good as we remembered from downtown. I love their coleslaw and pulled pork. The sliced brisket was tender but tasted like it had been in the freezer too long. We ordered some extra BBQ sauce to cover it over. Our server was excellent, ensuring our sweet teas were re-filled, etc. There are so many BBQ places in competition in KC that I doubt this one will get back on our list. No need to deal with pretty good, when there is great out there,

• Visited November 2013

Greenwood, Missouri
“Great, upscale BBQ joint”
Reviewed 31 October 2013

This is my favorite of the Jack Stack restaurants. This is a great BBQ joint. You can't really go wrong with anything here, but two things I would recommend are the onion rings (a really crispy, crunchy, THICK coating with this onions; you can't eat just one) and the prime rib, rib. It's a HUGE single, very meaty, rib. I love to get a sample platter to try many different items. Now it is a sit down place, more upscale, and a little higher priced than a typical BBQ joint in KC, but it is very nice for a change. Every time I have been there, the food has been great

• Visited November 2012
Colorado Springs, CO
“Tasty barbeque”
Reviewed 24 October 2013

We eat here often when we are in the Kansas City area and have eaten here for many, many years. The ribs, beef brisket and the burnt ends (beef and pork) are all tasty. They always serve plenty of French fries with the sandwiches, and the slaw is good. My dad also likes their beans. The onion rings are good, too, but if you have too many onion rings, you will be stuffed by the time you eat all of your dinner.

Service is normally very good here. It is a busy place, so if you don't want to sit around inside or outside waiting for a table, you should try to be there early (by 5 PM).

• Visited October 2013
“Anniversary”
Reviewed 14 October 2013 via mobile

My family had my 25 anniversary lunch there. About 19 people present. The staff handled it well. They were friendly and the service was best. The food was good. Topped it off with a brownie fudge cake with ice cream. It was the bomb! We shared with the little kids in our group big hit! Will go again.

Visited October 2013
Kansas City, Missouri
“The son still holds to daddy's traditions”
Reviewed 14 October 2013

Had not been to the Jackstack in Martin City in years. When family was in town, we used to frequent the father's restaurant in the city. Once again family visited and said 'hey you know what' so off we went to Martin City.

The place has expanded over the years, and the way south is still a bit far from north of KC, but the drive was worth it. The familiar smells and feel of the place came flooding back. The dinner portions are huge. The sausage smoked perfectly and the pork tender and moist. Fries crisp and perfect. Beans - delicious. I did not enjoy the mushroom appetizer as much as I thought I would - it sounded great, but the huge mushrooms were not quite heated through and the horseradish sauce was more sauce than horseradish - almost like dressing.

After dinner we were off to square dance and had a time schedule. Not rushed, but not an entire evening to spend at the restaurant. Our server kept us on track and delivered the bill promptly by the time we requested to be out the door. Her name was Carol and she was fantastic. All drinks kept filled, beer delivered cold, and food was all correct as ordered. She did check on us repeatedly and was not put off by our special request to be out the door in time for our dance.

We don't make it down south often, as I mentioned, but when we go back, I will ask for Carol again. And of course, take family there anytime they are in town.

• Visited October 2013