“Long Gone”

Cuisines: International
Good for: Romantic
Good for: Romantic
Reviewed 10 January 2013

Poco long ago bolted this 'hood, and is way out southwest at 3063 Southwest Boulevard .... very good food out there ... not much help when you want to walk over to the Uptown Theatre.

1  Thank NotDave

Reviewed 22 January 2008

The new Poco's on the Blvd is great! I've been there a few times for lunch and dinner and the food has been consistently exquisite.
They have all types of recognitions on the wall by the entrance, and several articles that have been written about the restaurant.
The first time I went I tried the pork tacos, which actually do not come wrapped in tortillas, but in lettuce instead. They were delicious. The pork was marinated and therefore so juicy and flavorful that I can't even describe.
Recently chef Poco added the ribeye fajitas to the menu and you can only imagine how good those are.
This is not your traditional mexican restaurant. If you are looking for average mexican food, this is not it. Poco's is the real deal

2  Thank nandomaestre
Reviewed 13 August 2007

Poco's has moved from Broadway to 3063 Southwest Boulevard, KCMO 64108, having taken over the space of a former Waid's Restaurant. The chef owner has kept some of Waid's menu items while offering her own Latin recipes.

Try the chicken mole ($8) which is smooth, rich, and chocolatey. It comes with refried beans, Spanish rice topped with pico de gallo, and tortillas of your choice. The beef or chicken fajitas are also excellent and will satisfy the largest of appetites. More unusually, Poco offers menudo, for those of you who can't get enough tripe soup :-). Mexican beers and Margaritas are available, as well as other alcoholic beverages.

Last weekend the owners were preparing to build an outdoor patio, planned to be completed by Fall 2007.

Reviewed 9 December 2005

My wife and I did exactly what the last reviewer recommended....pre-dinner drinks at Bobby's, dinner at Poco's, and then did post dinner drinks at Cafe Treo.

Poco's is fantastic. I had the pork and it was truly the best piece of pork I have ever had. I asked the waitress how it was made and she said she would call the chef, at which point she turned to the kitchen and yelled "Madre!" and her mother, the chef, came out and told me how to make the dish. Great service, wonderful food, great location.

I wish more people that live "in" KC would actually go "into" KC instead of hovering in the lifeless burbs eating at lifeless chain restaurants. In just this one stretch of Broadway, you can see live jazz at a minority owned authentic roaring 20's jazz club, eat at an authentic minority owned latin american grill, and then watch piano and have drinks and people watch at a italian joint frequented by gay men.

1  Thank JeffandTrina
Reviewed 7 May 2005

12 people on short notice on a saturday night?
Hard to find any popular restaurants that could accomodate us on short notice.
A friend located Poco's and it had great review and they could accomodate us.
We all showed up a little early and our table wasn't quite ready so the Hostes/Owner asked if we would like to have a cocktail a few doors down at Johnnies Hangout. Of course we all went down there and the hostess said she would come and get us when our table was ready.

Johnnies is a great little Jazz Bar with plush Red velvet curtains and a decidedly Jazz atmosphere. A great place to wait for your table and to enjoy an after dinner drink and music.

Poco's is a small restaurant located on Broadway near 36th across from the apple market, near the uptown theater.
Just guessing but I think Poco's seats about 50 people, they have cocktails and wine available.
The menu has a distinctive latin american influence and a large selection of excellently prepared dishes of Beef, Pork, Chicken and Fish.
We started out with an assortment of appetizers and after my first taste I knew I was in for a treat, all of the appetizers were excellent and well prepared and presented, absolutely delicious...
I had the Filet of Beef medallions and it was excellent cooked to a rightous medium rare, the sauce was not overwhelming but added to the flavor of the meal. The starch was a sweet potato mash and was mashed just right with a perfect texture. Asparagus was the veg. lightly roasted and steamed to perfection. The service was great and the staff didn't miss a beat.
Everyone of us was raving about our meals which included the Pork tenderloin and the red fish special. There were no negative comments from anyone in the group and I don't think it was group think. Everything I tasted was truly amazing. Assortment of desserts was a fantastic way to end our dining experience. The coup de gras was when Poco (Namesake and Chef) herself came out and received a round of applause from our group.
Make sure you check out the facilities before you leave.
After dinner a few of us went back to johnnies to hang out for a while. The Jazz quartet with revolving vocalists was great and the staff very helpful, especially Morris.
Both Pocos and Johnnies are excellent establishments and would be nice for a romantic dinner for 2 to a large group of people.
I Highly reccomend you give this restaurant a try!!!

3  Thank jimimac