“Thanks to my TripAdvisor app”
Review of Smokebox BBQ Cafe

Smokebox BBQ Cafe
Ranked #149 of 1,416 Restaurants in Kansas City
Cuisines: Barbecue
Fairfield oh
“Thanks to my TripAdvisor app”
Reviewed 9 August 2014

Had a flight the next morning and wanted to stay near the airport. The desk clerk was not very helpful as far as a place for dinner so I went to my phone and found this place. It's in a somewhat rundown strip mall but looks are often deceiving and they were this time. I have never eaten Kansas City bbq so I can only compare it to what I get here at home which is a dry bbq, but good is good. The sauce was sweet with a little bit of smoke, went very well on the burnt ends. The sausage on my combo plate was thin sliced, not what I expected but tasty. My wife loved here pulled pork sandwich, and the fries and cole slaw were good. Baked beans were smokey with chunks of meat. Good if, again, not what I expected. Service was excellent and the price was right!

• Visited August 2014

Chicago, Illinois
“Good little BBQ joint”
Reviewed 31 July 2014 via mobile

I are here while staying at the holiday inn down the street. I was looking for some good BBQ, and smoke box delivered.

They have a variety of smoked meats like ham, pork, ribs, and my favorite ...burnt ends.

I got the burnt ends and they were awesome. If a menu has that, I'm ordering it no doubt. They were flavorful and smoky with little to no grizzle fat. I also ordered the fried corn fritter things, and they were just OK. Not sure if they were home made or not. I enjoyed them but probably wouldn't order them again.

They also serve some domestic beers by bottle and draft.

I would come here again for sure if I stayed at the hotels near the airport. It's reasonably priced also and the service was very good and quick.

fenton, Missouri
“SMOKEBOX”
Reviewed 22 July 2014

We were in Kansas city, mo, staying close to the airport, Checked out restaurants in the area, seen this one not far from Hotel, What a great place to eat, waiters were fast, they set up a place for 12 really fast, wait time less than 10 minutes for the big table. Service great, food was so good.
Bar b q, my favorite food. Kids portions were right size, and ours was perfect.
You get near the Airport and want to try some good food, and not expensive at all. try this place.

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank KAREMM
“Baarrrrr-Bee-Keeeew!”
Reviewed 21 July 2014

Impulse stop. A couple miles south from MCI, just east of I-29. Stopped for a pedicure (which went quite well, thank you) and came out hungry! A few doors down, there was a BBQ place one direction and a Mexican Restaurant the other. I chose the BBQ. Good choice!

It is cafe style, so it isn't fancy but quite functional. Ordered off the wall menu at the counter. I chose a lunch special. Another good choice. For about 8 bucks, I got a sandwich with 2 meats, two sides (I chose Fries and baked beans) and for another two bucks, I added a soft drink which was refillable (Coke products). Food was ready in no time!

I loved their BBQ sauce. They give you two slices of,thick bread and a healthy portion of meat. You build your own sandwich. Cool! The steak fries were the real thing. The beans had a tad bit too much smoked flavor for my taste, but were still,darn tasty.

Summary? I would not hesitate to eat here again!

• Visited July 2014
USA
“Great BBQ!”
Reviewed 16 July 2014

We wanted BBQ the night before we flew out of the country and wanted it close to our hotel. We found this one through our GPS and at first was a bit hesitant to try it but so glad we did. It was a bit hard to find - in one of those windy road areas that GPS doesn't do well with and we could see it but not figure out how to get to it. Then when we did it was in a strip mall. The inside isn't anything to write home about but it was clean - looked and smelled clean - and we had an absolutely wonderful meal. BBQ was great - I love BBQ and it was definitely GREAT! I'd eat here again - in fact, looked to see if it was open when we got back but we got back too late. Yum!

• Visited May 2014