“Quality boutique hotel with some idiosyncrasies”
Review of The Fontaine

The Fontaine
Ranked #3 of 109 Hotels in Kansas City
Chicago, Illinois
“Quality boutique hotel with some idiosyncrasies”
Reviewed 27 June 2014 via mobile

Hard to find a new hotel near the Plaza. The location is two blocks off the Plaza. Part of an office complex. The rooms were well done with modern updated furniture. The bar and restaurant upstairs had poor service but great views. The continental breakfast in the morning was excellent. Be careful what side of the hotel you choose if you are sensitive to noise.

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Mark B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Los Angeles
Reviewed 19 June 2014

To start with I want to say that I have stayed at this property 3 times now. The first time, I thoroughly enjoyed it. The next two times, not so much. With that said, I will start off with my first time staying here because the next two times are sort of the same complaint.
Overall I do like this hotel and in Kansas City seems like a breath of fresh air for the hotel industry. It's clean, contemporary and has a nice youthful vibe to it. As a business traveler this sort of place fits my needs.The room size is nice and larger than a boutique property yet not overwhelmingly big like maybe a convention center type hotel. The bathroom and shower were really nice and liked that it had a shower stall and not a tub. I thought the bed was comfortable and sleeping was pretty easy as well as the fact that it's pretty quiet overall.
The only complaint I had about the room on the first trip is that there wasn't a dedicated dresser or drawers to put clothes in. Instead I had to use the bedside table as my dresser which did not hold a lot of clothes at all.
My only other gripe with the room is the mini bar set up. It's the kind like in Vegas where if you remove an item for a certain amount of time, you get charged for it regardless of whether you want it or not. I think this is a bit foolish especially for a hotel in Kansas City. No offense to KC but seriously, you are not Las Vegas and think this is more a deterrent from people using the mini bar. Plus the selection isn't so great to begin with. Besides that, I do like the room and had a good first stay. I like the continental breakfast as well and the ladies who work it are super nice and enjoyed seeing them in the morning. This is a free perk so I do like that but would have liked the option for a restaurant sit down full breakfast as well. There is room service which is nice but if you have the room service breakfast, why not just open the restaurant up for full service?
As a business traveler (ugh) I would have liked this option as my days are long and don't really get to eat lunch always at a normal time.
Ok. So now to my other stays at the property which have sort of made me decide to stay elsewhere in Kansas City. I understand everyone has different thoughts and opinions and not everyone feels the same. I respect others opinions and happy they have had good experiences.
So this is what happened. I checked in and asked for a room away from the elevator and on a high floor. They said ok…Except they placed me in a room next to a service elevator and on the second floor where I could never open my curtains because the window is at street level. If I had a lemonade stand, I could just open the window and hand it right to the people off the street. Also, it was a handicapped accessible room for which I am not and did not request. When I asked them about switching rooms, they said there weren't any available but to check back the next day. So I did and still nothing. It was kind of frustrating because I don't really think the front desk tried hard enough. If it was a Kimpton Property or such, they would have worked really hard to make sure my needs are met and if they couldn't come through, they would have offered me freebies to keep me happy. This hotel I feel could have cared less. Which brings me to the people at check in. Overall I feel like they make you feel like you are lucky to be staying at THEIR property and have an air of pretension about them. Almost like, we are too cool for you.
Upon check out this time, I explained to them my whole situation and they apologized and put it in my file to give me a better room when I returned…..Well I returned and they gave me another less than desirable room. It was only for one night so I wasn't going to complain but felt like, this property just doesn't have it together when it comes to customer service and taking care of the customers needs.
Unfortunately I won't be staying at this property the next time I am in Kansas City. It was nice but I have to say good-bye to the Hotel Sorella.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
9 Thank TVtravelLA
topeka
Reviewed 17 June 2014

This hotel was a very nice surprise. You were greeted by friendly smiles immediately on entrying the lobby which was bright and airy and modern. The room although lacking some art was very European in style.

An added benefit was the restaurant Rosso and the infinty pool.

So in short a welcome addition to the KC hotel scene and within walking distance to the plaza area shops and restaurants.

Well done!! We really enjoyed our short stay!!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 June 2014 via mobile

Some hotels just look like any others. Then there are the hotels which have a different vibe. Some of the best chains have the ability to deliver many hotels each with its own vibe. 'W' Hotels is very good at achieving vibe in all their properties.

Sorella in KC falls into this class. The lobby immediately sets a vibe that resonates through the rooms, the public areas, the meeting services, and the staff.

Particular credit goes to Tia in guest services who knows the Hotelier business better than most.

I highly recommend this property for business and pleasure. I look forward to trying their other properties mostly located in TX.

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Matthew H
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 15 June 2014

We began our trip with a completely unimpressive stay at a Fairfield Inn in Olathe (do NOT stay there!). When we moved "uptown" to this hotel, it was a welcomed surprise. Clean, classy, with an attentive staff (even by midwest standards!). Our room was trendy and spacious. And its within walking distance of anything you'd want to do. Two slight negatives: (1) the pool was closed and (2) they were training some waitstaff and the bar service was a wee bit subpar. Overall, however, a big thumbs up.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 13 June 2014

We decided to treat ourselves to a little nicer hotel than our usual ones. The Hotel Sorella turned out to be a wonderful treat. I don't think we have stayed at a hotel with a staff as friendly as this hotel. We liked the European styling and the spacious room.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mike M
Miami Beach, Florida
Reviewed 13 June 2014

If you're a big city traveler looking for modern luxuries this is the best hotel for you in KC. They have done an excellent job with the décor. Every piece of art, lighting and furniture has an interesting appeal. Everything was impeccably clean. We were very surprised by the roof top restaurant and terrace. Excellent menu, views and chic atmosphere. The breakfast had a great selection and a very friendly and helpful attendant. The entire staff seems eager to make your stay enjoyable. It was ZERO degrees when we stayed here in January and the valet guys were impressively helpful and cheerful despite the freezing cold. The location is ideal for business travelers and general visitors. You can walk to the plaza which has the best shopping and dining options in KC. Hotel Sorella is KC gem and they deserve to be booked solid 365 days a year. Well done!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business