“Best hotel in Kansas City!!!”
Review of The Fontaine

The Fontaine
Ranked #3 of 110 Hotels in Kansas City
Reviewed 21 August 2014

The pictures on the website do not do this place justice!!! It is a gorgeous hotel, great service, and the pool is beautiful!!! The view from our room was amazing and it's in the heart of the plaza, close to shops, restaurants and more! They offer a complimentary shuttle to take you anywhere within a 5 mile radius which was fantastic! We're definitely going back, hoping to make our mom's getaway an annual event!

4  Thank Melanie H

995 - 1,001 of 1,176 reviews

Reviewed 20 August 2014

This hotel is beautiful! Definite luxury for the price! Very professional staff, beautiful furnishings, bathroom was very modern. We loved the comfy robes. Fully stocked mini bar. The only downside was the address was very confusing for the GPS. Our gps wouldn't recognize 48th place as an address. The hotel is actually on Roanoke. Very aggravating trying to find it, but once we did it was worth it. The complimentary breakfast was very different, smoked salmon, cheeses, scones, cappucinno and espresso are available. Delicious. Would not recommend for children.Valet service was excellent! Itwas very close to the Country Club Plaza, which has nice restaurants and shops. We had drinks and dinner at Gram and Dun, it was fabulous.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank 2forTigers
Reviewed 20 August 2014

Let me start by saying that the Sorella's contemporary European style both in service and modernist decor will give many of you a point of reference for this best of class establishment--think the Amano hotel in Berlin. We arrived late at night road weary and were greeted warmly by Nathan at the door who made us feel instantly at home and was a soft compliment to the minimalist and elegant main lobby. Our check in was a cinch by way of the easy sophistication of the front desk manager and our room was spotless and inviting-- most especially the extremely comfortable beds. Late night room service was delicious and speedy and the bar, with impressive epicurean and enological delights was a picture of new world sophistication. The hotel is set in a picturesque urban residential neighborhood, reminding us a lot of the Olmsted rich Highlands neighborhood of Lousville, Ky. The continental breakfast was excellent and we added to it by way of "room service", an additional breakfast order delivered to our table. (There is no breakfast restaurant service)
The captivating Simone looked after our every need in the cafe space and made a delicious cappuccino on top of it all. Later, David, Adrian, and Oswaldo sweetly helped us pack our car and sent us on our way and as we waved goodbye we noted to one another that we hoped to return soon.
We highly recommend this excellent hotel in Kansas City!

• Stayed: August 2014
4  Thank Chiara B
Reviewed 19 August 2014

Perfect! This was just what we were hoping for. Small & Intimate, Swanky with good drinks and comfy beds! We stayed here for 1 night for a little mom's getaway - was able to check in a bit early so we could spend more time at the pool.

This hotel is beautiful - the website does not do it justice - at all! The bath items in the bathroom smelled great also! Mona was amazing to us - always had a smile and made sure our stay was great.

The only downside was the waitresses in the bar were pretty non-existent later in the evening (they seemed to help everyone but us)- but the bartenders were awesome - super friendly and nice, and made GREAT drinks!

2  Thank MindyClarke
Reviewed 19 August 2014

I really enjoyed many aspects of my stay but there were parts that just didn't make sense. First off, I would like to say I really enjoyed Marcus. He checked us in and was a great personality to begin our stay for the first time in Kansas City. He went out of his way to make sure that we knew all of the amenities and services hotel Sorella provided for us.
The valet was also very attentive, even during the busy times.

The website did say "best rate guarantee" and I happened to find another rate that was cheaper, on their own website. I called in and the woman told me I had to do it online. I had tried but the website wouldn't let me cancel and rebook. It took her awhile to understand what was going on but eventually we got it rebooked at the cheaper rate (total of $48 dollars that went to the valet charge).

The hotel is located a few blocks from the Plaza, where you can dine and shop. We got in late on a Thursday night and everything was shut down, so be prepared if you are coming in later. The front desk did call around to see if they could help us though.

The rooftop bar and pool is a fun place to hang out at the end of the night. They have very good drinks and good company. The pool isn't very large so families should be aware of this.

The rooms are stylish and comfortable. Plenty of storage. DON'T TOUCH THE MINIFRIDGE (unless you want to pay for it). We were on a high floor with a view of the gorgeous homes across the street. The beds were comfortable but we never got a good nights rest because of the HVAC system that kept shutting on and off. Not to mention the blinking green light of the fire alarm (bring black electrical tape if you can't stand blinking).

As for the rooms for improvement. I understand the concept of the European breakfast that you all were trying to convey. I have been to Europe many times and lived there for awhile. The way that the Sorella ran the breakfast was not intuitive and definitely not laid out correctly. The first morning we got ourselves coffee and a small plate. We saw the ladies who at this time we did not know what their role was in our breakfast. They were making espresso for some of the people but did not ask us if we needed anything. So we finished up and they took our plate.
The next day we went down again and it was much more crowded. There was food on the back counter as well as the island in front. I didn't know if I was allowed to go back and make my own toast. Especially after I was looking at the muffins and I heard "CAN I HELP YOU, CAN I HELP YOU" in a very rude and almost insulting tone. I replied kindly to let her know I was just looking at my options. A man had also grabbed the tongs for the toast and one of the ladies yelled at him as well. Then, I walked back around because I was actually embarrassed that I had just been yelled at. And I grabbed a small plate to get a Danish. I went was looking over the selection for a cream cheese danish and again I hear, CAN I HELP YOU, EXCUSE ME CAN I HELP YOU. At this point I was really embarrassed and just replied, No, I am trying to see what there is to eat, thank you. All in all, the breakfast was set up horribly.

My second complaint is that our room was not serviced on the second day of our three day visit. We left our room around 10:00 to explore the city and came back around 4:30. Maybe you do not do daily cleanings and I was just ignorant of that fact.

With that said, we did enjoy our time and the staff (other than the breakfast people) were amazing and attentive.The bartenders were very knowledgeable and fun to be around as well. Hopefully you will have the pleasure of having Marcus check you in for your stay. He went the extra mile to make sure our stay was as pleasant as possible. Thanks Marcus!!!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 August 2014

We stayed at the hotel for a girls' night and it was amaizng! We hung out at the pool, which was incredible. Awesome view and great drinks! The room and lobby are beautiful! The customer service was super, especially Mona, who took great care of us and checked on us throughout our stay to make sure we had everything we needed. A perfect hotel for a much needed getaway from mommy duty. Can't wait to stay again!

Reviewed 18 August 2014

An upscale, boutique place with an attentive staff. Rooms nicely appointed and comfortable. No gift shop so don't forget anything. They have a shuttle service to take you to museum, drug store, etc. however, in my experience they don't pick you up in a timely fashion. I had to wait over an hour to be picked up, a task that should have been 20 min at best. Parking is done by valet and is pricey- think manhattan prices, but nicer people. Business center is two computers and one printer. Breakfast included and quite sufficient although what passes for a bagel is really funny. All kind of fruit and chips and nothing savory or even plain. Lots of sweet pastry, though. Oddly enough not many overweight people. Dining room pricy but very good. Not your typical American hotel fare. They actually have a real chef and competent wait staff. Worth at least one meal. The bar is way too happening and not for quiet drinks and conversation. It's for hooking up and shouting to be heard. I doubt I'd stay here again but people I've talked to like the place despite the inconsistencies.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family