Jefferson House Bed and Breakfast
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation but we can search other options in Kansas City
See available hotels
Roslin Hotel(Kansas City)
  • Breakfast included
  • Breakfast included
  • Restaurant
All reviewssummit roomkauffman centergracious hostsshortbread cookiesgourmet breakfastthe crossroadslovely homeprivate bathcharming neighborhoodhouse is beautifully restoredchez elleartisan bakerya lovely place to stayquiet streetoverlooking downtownmodern conveniencesfew minutes walk
Reviewed 7 October 2013

Last weekend I was in Kansas City to finalize a place to live when my friend recommended the Jefferson House to stay. This place was incredible. The space is a redesigned and renovated 1890 Victorian house, with suite style rooms and artistic flair. The wife is a potter and the husband is a creative as well--- every little detail was lovingly crafted to create a subtle ambiance of comfort, creativity, and love. Then, there is the breakfast. Outstanding! Organic, local dishes, with fresh squeezed orange juice and quality coffee. On top of the amenities, the pair went out of their way to ask around for places for rent-- They found the perfect apartment in the area I was interested in. This showcased the deep care they have for the people that stay there. I will recommend this place to all of my friends when they come into town to visit. Beautiful people in the historic West Side, this is the best place you can stay downtown.

Room Tip: Choose the suite with the balcony!
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 October 2013

My wife and I typically stay at B & B's when we travel and sometimes I wonder why. So few of the owners take their charge seriously. Well not so for Peter & Teresa. Not only are they both uncommonly charming but they have worked miracles with their turn of the century restoration. It's an exceptional home, with every detail vetted. From the wall paper to the light fixtures, to their "quirky" art collection, everything fits perfectly. Every other feature is first rate as well, the sheets, pillows and beds are top notch, as are the very modernized and upgraded bathrooms (no tiny little tube from the 1890's with lousy water pressure here!) Did I mention that Teresa can cook? Well she can! and the breakfasts are delicious. It's what seperates them once again from the average B & B. I can tell you that we will now drive the 2 hours out our way to stay at the Jefferson House every time we head west for vacation. I should add that the neighborhood scene is terrific as are the local restaurants. You will love your stay at the Jefferson House.

Reviewed 6 October 2013

I decided to propose to my girlfriend at Jefferson House. It's a beautiful property, operated by the loveliest couple you'll ever meet. They helped me set up the surprise proposal, and it couldn't have been more perfect. We stayed in the Murdoc suite, which has a spacious living area, large bathroom, sizable bed, and an outdoor balcony that overlooks all of downtown Kansas City.

Every piece of furniture, framed art, color on the wall, EVERYTHING is perfection. It's the most amazing house I've ever seen, and I tell everyone to go there.

That covers the Bed, let's get to the Breakfast!

Theresa spoiled us with a 3 course breakfast, and it was the perfect end to our stay. The first course was greek yogurt with a drizzle of honey, fresh berries, and Muesli. Light, bright, and fresh! Then we had a Scotch Egg, which was wrapped in Local Pig sausage, and breaded in Panko. It came with a roasted vegetable hash, and I could probably eat that every morning for the rest of my life (all 6 months of it if I ate like that all the time). And Finally, some fluffy orange scones, with whipped mascarpone and strawberries. I had to go for a walk around the block afterwards, but everything was prepared with such care and expertise, I didn't mind the fact that my eyes were bigger than my stomach.

All in all, Jefferson House was an experience I can't wait to try again, and is a wonderful addition to Kansas City's Westside.

Reviewed 22 September 2013

My partner and I were in town for a wedding and came upon the Jefferson House on this site. Having never stayed at a B&B before this trip I was a little bit nervous but Theresa and Peter made our stay so incredibly lovely! I arrived a bit later than I said I would but Peter was there to welcome me anyway with a big smile on his face. I had chatted with him earlier about check in times and he said that I could drop off my things before the actual check-in time that morning which was very nice. He gave me a tour of the gorgeous house and showed me to our room and told me about all of the amenities nearby (there are amazing restaurants and shops within walking distance of the house) and gave me a map of where everything I could possibly need happened to be. Oh, and I musn't forget the homemade cookies in my room- So delicious that they melted in my mouth.

We stayed in the Mulkey Suite and I have to say that is was beautiful! Everything was dark hardwoods and luxurious linens. The decor was more beautiful than many things I have seen in design magazines and the cleanliness factor was perfect.

Breakfast began with fresh squeezed grapefruit and orange juice. We then moved on to tea. We had the regular English Breakfast tea but Peter also offered us oolong or other exotic teas. When Theresa came out with the breakfast plates my jaw almost dropped. The plates were full of the most beautifully wrapped and breaded scotch eggs along with a fresh vegetable hash along with a fruit and tomato based sauce that had a wonderful tangy taste to it. After we had cleaned our plates because the food was so incredibly delicious, Theresa came out with a little bit of sweet to balance the salt. It was rum brushed banana bread with a buttery/brown sugar substance and candied walnuts on top.

We had a great stay and are truly thankful for our wonderful, relaxing, and utterly delicious experience. We would highly suggest staying at Jefferson House if you ever have the opportunity!

Room Tip: The Mulkey suite was just perfect for two people staying the night. I peeked at the other rooms and they are all beautiful. The large one would have been perfect for a longer stay.
1  Thank Briceland M
Reviewed 21 September 2013

Past experience with Kansas City hotels meant raucous sports enthusiasts and steam-table scrambled eggs. BUT this time we slept in quiet elegance and enjoyed royal breakfasts at Jefferson House in the friendly company of our hosts and fellow guests. Dishes included homemade granola with fresh raspberries and Greek yogurt, toad-in-the-hole (local sausage in a delicate Yorkshire pudding), a blueberry crisp that reminded me of the best Linzer-torte I've ever had, a spinach-feta quiche.....Very glad we could stay for 3 days in this joyful place.

Nearby pleasures: Bread and "cheese slippers" from Fervere, the best bakery in town, a block away. Great music at the Kauffman Center, a four-block walk. The KC farmers market. The National World War I Museum/Liberty Memorial (allow time for 2 visits). Just across the street--a splendid view over Kansas City.

Room Tip: This is a Victorian house on a hill -- not a good fit for people who have trouble with stairs or with showering in a claw-footed period bathtub.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family