“Don't go on New Year's Eve”

The American Restaurant
Ranked #222 of 1,424 Restaurants in Kansas City
Price range: US$60 - US$80
Cuisines: American
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: 25th and Grand
Kansas City, Kansas
“Don't go on New Year's Eve”
Reviewed 2 April 2014

We went to this restaurant on New Year's Eve 2013. It was terrible. They weren't sold out
and I can see why. They had a tasting menu. They served really small portions and if it wasn't for all the bread we ate we would have been really hungry. As it was on the way home we stopped at another restaurant and got a pizza because we were still hungry. It was really a disappointing experience. These tasting menus are a fad that needs to end. They bring out these portions that are just ridiculous. One of the portions had a raw egg on top. We couldn't
believe it. It was just a big disappointment. Don't go here for New Year's eve and don't go here if they are going to have a tasting menu. It is not worth all the money. It really isn't. The service isn't bad. The wine list is pretty good. But they give you about $10 worth of food and
charge you $145 dollars for it. Save your money and go to a restaurant where they will
serve a legitimate meal.

• Visited December 2013

Kansas City, MO
“Another disappointing meal at The American”
Reviewed 8 March 2014

This place gets so much hype. I have never had a meal there that I consider outstanding, but went there last week for a business event. What a disappointment. If I had to pay for this meal I would really have been upset. The one truly great thing was an appetizer they passed of short rib that had been deep fried with a tasty marmalade on top. THAT was amazing. The meal itself was just meh and like the flavors were sucked out. The salad was boring, the salmon entree was just not flavorful, and even the dessert was lacking. I don't get it. No wonder the place is empty.

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank KaneoheBoy
Overland Park, KS
“Excellent and elegant meal”
Reviewed 15 January 2014

I didn't really have any expectation of what to expect going in, as most people I know haven't even heard of the place. That being said, I knew it was a pricey, upscale restaurant so my wife and I got dressed up (suit and tie, nice dress) to go. Perhaps we just took the wrong route, because it seemed like once we parked the car that it was a bit of a maze to get there. A series of elevators and corridors to finally get to the place.

The restaurant had a bit of an old-school elegance vibe going on. In an era where a lot of restaurants are going for a more contemporary look, this one definitely had some character. We were seated by the windows with an excellent view of the skyline in the distance, as well as the ice skaters of crown center below. Our waiter came by and gave us the drink tablet and explained how to access the various items on it. When we ordered a bottle of wine (which the waiter helped to suggest when we told him what we were looking for - he was quite knowledgeable), he brought out this crazy-looking glass decanter. Apparently, they have a whole collection of exotic, custom-blown decanters that are used for different varietals of wine. Heck, seeing him use that was worth buying the bottle of wine in the first place.

The restaurants sells the menu items as courses, and you can purchase as little as 3 courses up to presumably as many as you'd like. I had 5 courses and my wife had 4, and we shared, so we had an opportunity to sample a decent cross-section of the menu. It was explained that the menu, besides being seasonal, also changes incrementally. So a particular menu item you have one day might not be there (or might change) the next day. The food we ordered was wonderfully prepared and artistically presented. We tried a variety of appetizers (the chestnut soup was outstanding), entrees (akausha short rib was very nice), and desserts (the chocolate soup was ridiculous).

The meal itself took close to 3 hours, which is what I'd expect of a place where it is just as much about the food as the experience itself. We felt very well taken care of, as the staff was very attentive without hovering. It really was an amazing experience. Typically, my wife and I don't dine at places nearly this fancy, so we can really appreciate when we are at a place this elegant. This truly is a special occasion kind of restaurant, but that being said, I'd totally go back if given the chance. Highly recommend.

• Visited January 2014
Kansas City
“Fine Dining in the Heart of KC”
Reviewed 6 January 2014

I had never been to the American, so when my wife asked where I wanted to go for my birthday this was the place I picked. Overall, I was very pleased. We went with our 8-year-old daughter, which made us a bit leery. She ended up loving the place, and the staff had several options up their sleeves to accommodate her. The view of Crown Center and downtown is really spectacular. All of the Christmas lights that were still up made the experience all the more dazzling. I agree with those who say the restaurant needs a bit of an update, but given some of the reviews I was prepared for a real embarrassment. I didn't think it was that bad. The service was exceptional. Our server spent lots of time going through the menu with us and explaining dishes and options. The food itself was quite good. The American features truly creative cuisine. My appetizer, entrée, and desert were dynamite, butI was somewhat disappointed in the cheese course. I ordered the bleu option, which featured chocolate cake that a little dry with a smaller-than-expected piece of cheese. The whole experience took a couple of hours. This is a formal and high-end dining experience. It's definitely not an everyday choice but perfect for a special occasion.

• Visited December 2013
Eagan, Minnesota
“One of a kind”
Reviewed 2 December 2013 via mobile

Expensive, and worth it for the experience. Just a very different and very good dinner. Have been there several times, and have been excellent. Staff friendly and helpful, presentation impressive, and food really good.

Visited November 2013