“Great value at the Plaza”
Review of Chuy's

Chuy's
Ranked #58 of 1,421 Restaurants in Kansas City
Cuisines: Southwestern, Mexican
Missouri
“Great value at the Plaza”
Reviewed 8 January 2014

I was hesitant to give this place a try based on some of the other reviewers, but then I realized a lot of the negative comments are very biased. For example, one of the snobby reviewers was clearly upset that this place isn't "upscale" enough for the Country Club Plaza, and therefore downgraded the rating even though the reviewer admitted there was nothing wrong with the food or service. Another reviewer complained that it was too expensive and plaza parking was a hassle. Read below for my unbiased review.

Chuy's is a great addition to the Plaza, because it's not so upscale. The fact is, there are tons of upscale places to eat at the Plaza already. Sometimes I dread going to the Plaza to eat because nearly all of the places are either upscale restaurants or fancy bars. I get tired of that sometimes, and I would like some variety while still being able to enjoy the Plaza. Chuy's fills that gap. The atmosphere is laid-back, while being very fun and retro creative. The prices are much more reasonable than most other Plaza restaurants. For example, we had two dinner entrees plus an appetizer plus a dessert, the portions were large, and the bill only came to about $30. The only way that's expensive for two people is if you're comparing it to fast food.

The service was fantastic. Our waitress was very attentive. Drinks and chips were kept refilled, and she even brought out a sample of all of the sauces before we ordered to help us make decisions.

Happy hour is awesome. From 4-7pm Monday through Friday, they have a free nacho bar. It includes chips, salsa, ground sirloin, and queso. Did I mention it's free?

Finally, Plaza parking is always great because it's free. Anyone who complains about Plaza parking should spend time in other big cities and find out how rare it is to have free parking in an area like the Plaza. Parking at Chuy's is even easier than most other Plaza restaurants, because they have a parking garage directly under the building. It had plenty of space in it, and the stairs from the garage come up right next to the entrance to the restaurant. It doesn't get anymore convenient than that.

Snobby people can complain all they want about Chuy's not belonging at the Plaza because it's not upscale enough for them, but the fact is this place is fun, the food is good, and the prices are reasonable. I'll definitely be back.

• Visited January 2014
3 Thank TheHighwayWarrior

Kansas City, Missouri
“Another Mexican restaurant! Ughh!!!”
Reviewed 30 December 2013

Service was good, our server kept the water glasses full, paid attention to drink service and cleared plates without delay! Food was standard fare for a mexican restaurant - the same as I would find at any of the dozens of new Mexican restaurants in my suburban neighborhood. Please don't get me wrong, in, and of itself, there is nothing wrong with this place, but by leasing space on the Country Club Plaza, they are passing themselves off as an elite upscale restaurant. There was nothing about Chuy's from the tacky decor to the mediocre food that would set it apart. The fact that this is the sort of place leasing space on the Plaza is only indicative of a general lowering of our standards of what we consider to be "upscale". I will not be back.

• Visited December 2013
Kansas City, Missouri
“Great server, good food”
Reviewed 24 November 2013 via mobile

went with friends and enjoyed it a lot. our server server was Sheri who was superb- let us try various salsas. Very accommodating. Thoroughly enjoyable.

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank ButimeTraveler
Kansas
“Private rooms, nice atmosphere”
Reviewed 15 November 2013

We had our family Christmas dinner here. The private room looked out onto a balcony and was large enough to seat 15 comfortably. The food was tasty and the staff was attentive.

Visited December 2012
Kansas City, Missouri
“Disappointed in this new Tex-Mex restaurant”
Reviewed 8 November 2013

Chuy's recently opened on the Kansas City Plaza and completely remodeled the site and it looks interesting. Unfortunately, the food I had was less than interesting. The best thing was the chips that were thin, crispy. The salsa was way too hot (for my tastes). They also brought a jalapeño dip that wasn't as hot. Their menu makes much of the fact that the ground beef is sirloin but it didn't have much flavor at all. The rice was average - the refried beans were excellent. There are many Mexican restaurants where everything is good and less expensive and you don't have to hassle with plaza parking so I don't plan to go back.

• Visited November 2013