“Tomato Sauce can be Art”

Cucina della Ragazza
Ranked #162 of 1,415 Restaurants in Kansas City
Price range: US$12 - US$25
Cuisines: Delicatessen, Italian, Wine Bar
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Description: Cucina della Ragazza features fresh homemade Italian food influenced by Southern Italian family recipes. Specialty menu items include a family recipe Meatball Grande appetizer, Italian Sausage & Artichoke soup and Chicken Saltimbocca. The full bar features some of the best Italian wines and specialty cocktails such as Sicilian Sunshine, Sgroppino and the Ragazza Bellini. Limited Seating. Reservations suggested. Lunch served 11 am to 3 pm. Happy Hour 3 to 6 pm Tue-Sat. Dinner served daily 5 to close Closed Monday.
Kansas City, Missouri, United States
“Tomato Sauce can be Art”
Reviewed 1 June 2014

Most of us begin our experience with Italian food through tomato sauce, and leave it behind as we gain in sophistication. Canned ravioli or Mom's spaghetti with overcooked tomato sauce spooned over it the jumping off spot into the world of better Italian cuisine. We never look back.

Cucina della Ragazza reasserts the triumphant tomato. Try the Meatball Grande ($7) for an appetizer, and you will get a luscious 1/2 pound meatball flavored with local italian sausage and browned nicely on the outside - but it will be the chunky tomato sauce that will make you gasp. Vibrant sunshine in tomato form.

I'm attaching a photo of my pork chop dinner. Too bad that the pork chop, green beans and amazingly wonderful potatoes are gone - they didn't last long! The pork chop carried a remarkable lemon flavor - quite good! The potatoes, though, were buttery and cheesy and the highlight of my meal.

I'm also attaching a photo of my wife's huge plate of fettuccini with meatballs. She ate her share, I stole quite a bit because it was so good, and yet we came home with enough for a large lunch. Best order of the table, I think. I also sampled some of the polenta from a friends plate - sweet corn flavor and wonderful flavor.

I was part of a table of 8 - too many people to be easily served by one waitress. Ours tried, but her impatience with some of our gabbier cohorts showed a bit. Nothing terrible, and the owner is a charming presence.

We will be back!

• Visited May 2014

Chicago
“Doesn't get any better in Kansas City”
Reviewed 14 May 2014

Was in KC for business the other week, and was told that Westport is the hip neighborhood. I walked around the hood for about 20min and this was by far the most appetizing looking establishment I came across. It is your standard wine bar: clean, rustic, comfortable furniture, etc.....

What sets this place apart though is the food, it was fantastic. I had a crostini sampler which was delicious, and this giant Italian meatball that was to die for. All in (including 3 glasses of wine) my tab was about $35. Pretty reasonable price given the quality.

Bottom line, I have a hard time believing you will find any better for food or wine in this part of the city.

• Visited May 2014
Leawood, Kansas
“Great Dinner Experience!”
Reviewed 30 April 2014

We read about this new Italian restaurant in the Kansas City Star so tried it for dinner with another couple. We arrived early on a Friday evening and caught that period when the folks who had stopped for a glass of wine on the way home were leaving and the dinner crowd had yet to fully arrive. Our friends were already sitting at the bar waiting for us, so we sat there for dinner.

The owner, Laura was behind the bar and took our order. The service was terrific. The food was great. We struck up conversations with others at the bar. Several had walked to the restaurant from their near-by houses. We liked the brick walls and the overall look of the place. Its a good place to go for a laid-back evening. We will go back soon.

• Visited April 2014
Melbourne, Florida
“Great Addition to the Westport Restaurant Scene!”
Reviewed 10 April 2014

While reading the Kansas City Times a week or so ago, I came up a newspaper review of a new Italian restaurant, Ragazza in Westport. It was a very good review and prompted a few of us to give it a try when a family member suggested we meet that same day for lunch. It would appear that most of KC read the article as well because at 1PM all seating was full. Our wait was brief and no standing around. The restaurant has a small couch seating area in middle of the restaurant; a good idea to prevent blocking the entrance way. Cozy atmosphere with lots of red brick, a good selection of wines and you can sit at the bar for dining. Very nice lunch menu.. original selections and priced very affordable. I opted for the White Gazpacho and the Grand Meatball in a red sauce accompanied by wedges of crustini for dipping. The Gazpacho was the Best I have ever had! It was incredible! I have been researching recipes ever since. And the Grand Meatball which was mentioned in the KC Times review was very tasty and filling. Ragazza is a fine addition to the Westport area! I look forward to our next visit to KC and will make Ragazza one of my first stops!

• Visited March 2014
“YUM!”
Reviewed 26 March 2014

This little place is FANTASTIC! Authentic and totally tasty food in a charming, fun environment. My new favorite hang out. And try the brunch....it's tremendous!

• Visited March 2014