“Location and style”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Saint Robert, Missouri
“Location and style”
Reviewed 6 September 2012

This beautiful hotel is conveniently located on the edge of the Power and Light Entertainment District. The staff was extremely knowledgeable and helpful, from the front desk to the concierge to the valet. Check-in was very quick as was the valet, which was only $2 more than the general parking. The rooms were very typical Hilton with all the standard amenities; the bed was extremely comfortable and everything was clean and well-appointed. The breakfast buffet was also typical Hilton--good but not great, especially given the price. The hotel is walking distance to the P&L District. Despite the number of potential party-goers you would expect at this location, I never heard anyone in the hallways after hours.
I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Treavor B
philipstrnad, General Manager at Hilton President Kansas City, responded to this review, 7 September 2012
Thanks for the kind review of our hotel. I am pleased you found everything to your liking.
We always like to see recognition of our staff providing the service you would expect at a four diamond hotel.
We certainly look forward to your return visit to Kansas City and the Hilton President.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (135)
Lexington, Kentucky
Reviewed 4 September 2012

Very nice old Hotel. The lobby was beautiful, comfortable & spacious. The rooms were nice, clean and quiet. All the Hotel staff was very nice. I do have two complaints though. 1st, the television in our room would lock up when watching any HD station. I called the front desk twice, the 2nd call they sent up engineering. The problem was with the satellite system. It rained the whole time we were there & this effected the performance on their system, it could not be fixed according to their employee. 2nd - On Sunday morning we were all meeting (30 people) in the Walnut Room for the Breakfast buffet. The staff was totally overwhelmed. There was only 1 waitress assigned there for Breakfast. The Hotel appeared to be full, yet they only had 1 waitress for Breakfast. Very poor planning, they knew our group would be there that morning, wow!!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
Thanks so much for the very kind review, even in light of the issues in the Walnut Room at breakfast. It does indeed sound like the staff was overwhelmed that morning. We certainly can do better!
Some times the flow of our guests is hard to predict, especially at breakfast, but your review will help us improve our staffing models.
Thanks again for your time, and I am pleased you enjoyed your visit overall to our wonderful hotel!
Pensacola, Florida
Reviewed 2 September 2012

I LIKE walking cold and unannounced into a hotel: good way to find out how much they really want your business; I’ve used this method all over the world and I’ve been consistently surprised that 90%+ I get as good a deal as if I’d booked the room a couple months in advance. In this case, I was driving a rental car from Southeast Kansas on my way back to the Kansas City, Mo. Downtown district where I had stayed a few days earlier. That stay at the Westin Crown Center Hotel had not been pleasant (see my review), so I was open to almost any other hotel in the area. My plan was to find a decent-looking hotel and walk in. As I drove down Grand toward the Crown Center region of Downtown Kansas City—thinking I might try the Sheraton or Marriott—I noticed the large, brown brick hotel that looked older than any of the other large building. I identified it as the Hotel President and found its appearance so intriguing that I drove around the building a couple times. A few workers on break in the back, by the parking garage, directed me to the curbside check in area.

Excellent curbside and bell service: I was met at the curb by a nice young man who allowed me to keep my car there and directed me to the desk. A young guest was checking out and overheard my conversation with the very polite and efficient desk clerk. As I inquired about room rates and so on, he offered his opinion: “Stay here! I’ve been coming here for years. You will love it. Other than no pool, this is a great place!” His advice—and the very positive and helpful attitude of the Bell Boy and the desk clerk—convinced me to stay.
Once I got my keys, that same Bell Boy escorted me to my room and unobtrusively introduced me to it. He told me in detail how to park and retrieve my car, and all of what he told me was correct. He got a big tip, but I think he just had pride in providing good service. Over my stay this scenario was repeated with that young man and a couple of others. Always offering polite and accurate directions. In fact, after I checked out and had retrieved my rental, I drove right back to the curbside check in area for additional driving instructions, and again, got polite and accurate directions to the KC Mo Airport!
I’ve stayed in 5-Star hotels all over the world, and The President matches or exceeds curbside and bell service.

Easy parking: WHY oh WHY can’t all large hotels (approx. 200 rooms) have parking that is this efficient and easy? I NEVER got lost once. In contrast, my stay at the Westin a few days earlier resulted in 20 minute searches for my car, and then my hotel. My experience with large city hotels is that parking can be a major problem that ruins an afternoon or evening. I DO NOT like Valet parking because then I’ve gotta wait for valet to retrieve car. At President: Drive 50 yards into lot, park, 2 minute max walk back to hotel. Easy retrieve. No hassle!

Excellent desk service: The young lady who introduced me to the hotel was polite, very professional and competent. I used her services several times over the next few hours. She was knowledgeable of the hotel’s historic significance and the general neighborhood. I interacted with a couple other desk personnel over the next few hours. All of them had the same attitude and competence.

Nice historic hotel with elegance: There is no hotel in KC, Mo. that matches the elegance of The President. It was built in the 1920s with about 400 rooms and re-modeled with about 200 rooms to increase room size. This is a hotel with some history, and a hotel that preserves the elegance of an older time, when polite service and courtesy and respect for guests was the standard. I also got a very nice, large, well-appointed, very clean room, far superior to what I’ve paid much more to acquire.

Free no-hassle amenities such as WiFi and newspaper: I know this seems trivial. But when many 5-Star hotels (e.g., Westin Crown Center) wanted to charge me for WiFi when I was paying 25% more for my room, I was please to find that I could use iPhone and iPad essentially anywhere in my room or public areas with no problem whatsoever. The President delivers USA Today to your room, unlike Westin which delivered nothing... I’m sorry to harp on Westin, but my recent experience shows the contrast is stark.

Excellent location.
Well... ALL locations in the area of The President, including the Crown Center Westin, the Crown Center Sheraton and the Marriott (a bit farther away) are within safe and easy walking distance of lots of nice shops and restaurants, great and often free music venues in blues, rock, jazz venues. I highly recommend Downtown Kansas City, Missouri if you like good food and music.

Bad lounge: “The Drum Room” lounge had neither good food nor good ambience. This is the main reason I downgraded this hotel from a 5 to a 4. A tired guest always appreciates a friendly and comfortable lounge experience. I had lunch there, as their only customer and found The Drum Room sterile and not warm environment. The server was a bit annoying in rushing me along. The side salad was wimpy, wilted and not tasty, the rest of my lunch was nondescript. Wine by the glass was limited in selection and overpriced. Later that evening I passed through The Drum Room and found only a couple of customers. I elected to walk through the “Power & Light” District a block or two away and found numerous pubs, eventually settling on a crowded bar that provided excellent service and attention and a great fish sandwich and fries.

Workout facilities: Clean but with a few minor deficiencies.
Negatives: no pool.
Positives: The President facility is open 24/7! (I am amazed at how many hotels restrict use of workout facilities to as little as 12 hours per day. WHY? My guess is liability.)
Workout room very nice, clean but spare on equipment. No machines other than treadmills and orbital cyclers; but those were excellent PreCore with TV monitors and supplied sanitary earbuds. Water and towels. Clean and comfortable.

Room Tip: My room was so surprisingly excellent that, if typical, I just don’t have any tip. Just enjoy this e...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Joe L
philipstrnad, General Manager at Hilton President Kansas City, responded to this review, 4 September 2012
What a wonderful comprehensive review of our hotel. These are the kind of reviews that go way beyond the simple beauty of our hotel and touch on the details that make the entire trip worthwhile. I am so pleased the staff was there for you at every opportunity. I am sure future guests of our hotel will be able to read your review and get a great feeling for what to expect, check in to check out. We look forward to your return visit to Kansas City!
La Vernia, Texas
Reviewed 27 August 2012 via mobile

An older historic hotel with updated first class facilities and first class staff. Everyone I came in contact with at the hotel treated my like their best guest. I was in town for a convention and the location was convenient to the meetings as well as to food and entertainment by Power and Light District. Can't wait till next visit.

Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Justin K
philipstrnad, General Manager at Hilton President Kansas City, responded to this review, 29 August 2012
Thank you for that wonderful review of our hotel. I am so pleased you pointed out what makes us different. Guest service. We do take a great deal of pride in the hotel, but wtihout our guest service associates, it does not matter how nice a hotel seems. In this case we are very proud or our hotel and the service you recevied! We certainly look forward to seeing you on a return visit to Kansas City. Your return visit is indeed the best compliment.
Oslo, Norway
Reviewed 21 August 2012 via mobile

Stayed at the hotel for one week in connection with business meetings. Nice hotel, old style, well maintained. Friendly and helpful staff. Clean room, flat screen etc. price not to bad. Got an upgrade to a junior suite so i did not complain. The hotel is located downtown Kansas City. Bars, restaurants and pubs as well as theatres and cinemas are located a few steps from the hotel. I will definitely stay at the same hotel during my next visit.

Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Runar P
Thank you for the very kind words about your visit to our hotel. I am pleased you enjoyed the history of the hotel and at the same time the very modern and up to date ammenities! We look foward to seeing you again at our hotel!
Morgantown, WV
Reviewed 20 August 2012

Spent four nights while attending a conference. It's just 1-2 blocks from the KC Convention Center. The breakfast buffet was excellent--not has laden with high fat/cholesterol items as is often the case. They even had smoked salmon, along with all the trimmings that go with it. This is something that is rare in Europe, unlike 10 years ago. For those who like historical hotels, this building has a past, and was recently remodeled. Gorgeous lobby.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank roundmidnight
philipstrnad, General Manager at Hilton President Kansas City, responded to this review, 22 August 2012
Thank you for the wonderful review of our hotel! I am very pleased you enjoyed the breakfast service, we have spent a great deal of time and effort over the last few months upgrading our entire breakfast program. It is difficult to be the perfect breakfast for everyone, but we feel we have created a breakfast experience that comes close!
Thanks again for the kind words about out hotel and we look forward to seeing you in the future!
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 15 August 2012

Spent two days/nights in Kansas City a couple weeks ago visiting old friends and catching a Rangers/Royals game. Can't say enough about the wonderful hospitality we received at the Hilton President by the front desk and staff. The hotel lobby is beautiful. There was a nice jazz bar downstairs but ran out of time. The location couldn't be beat as it was in the heart of downtown within walking distance to the Power and Light district loaded with restaurants and bars for hours of pure entertainment. Thanks for a wonderful stay! Would definitely come back.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Bey1021
What a wonderful review, thanks for the time you have taken to share your thoughts about our hotel with the Tripadvisor community!
I am pleased you added a picture of our lobby as it certainly helps paint the picture of elegance our hotel offers.
We look forward to your return visit, and again thanks for your time!