“nice facility but more management” 3 of 5 bubbles

Hilton President Kansas City
Ranked #16 of 109 Hotels in Kansas City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Wichita, Kansas
“nice facility but more management”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2014

The entire family stayed at the Hilton President for a wedding.We spent two nights and never got our room serviced at all.The Starbucks had old coffee and did not offer to make fresh. Room service burnt the buns, burgers and put no cheese as requested.Its sad that for a beautiful building that the management is so poor.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Cheryl G
philipstrnad, General Manager at Hilton President Kansas City, responded to this review, 11 June 2014
Cheryl-
Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I am terribly sorry there were some in room dining issues and an issues with housekeeping. I will certainly address with the management team to see where we failed. Again my apologies. As you see by hundreds of reviews this certainly is not the norm here at the President.
Thanks again for your time and constructive feedback.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (130)
Berkeley, California, Usa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2014

Beautiful lobby and dining room. Gave you the feel of a more elegant time. Breakfast was good and the room beautiful. Very nice. Rooms were comfortable, although they were more standard than the lobby and hallways would suggest. Great location for walking around downtown.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts about your visit to our hotel. I am pleased you enjoyed the property and our service. It sounds like you may have been a bit underwhelmed by the rooms, sorry we did not really wow you. We are planning some room changes that will take place around the end of the year that will offer an updated look and feel.
Thanks again for your time and valuable feedback.
Glendale, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2014 via mobile

This is a very good hotel... The architecture, both inside and out are awesome! This is a very historic hotel from the 1920s in the renovated Gas and Electric and central business districts of Kansas City. A high five to the developers of this area of Kansas City... The staff at the hotel were very helpful and extended their recommendations for local area eateries, including their own hotel's very famous "Drum Room"! The rooms were very comfortable, clean, and quite! I would definitely stay at this hotel again when my travels take me to Kansas City!

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
philipstrnad, General Manager at Hilton President Kansas City, responded to this review, 9 June 2014
Thanks for that fantastic review. I am so pleased you enjoyed so many aspects of the hotel and the downtown area! We take a great deal of pride in the historic nature of our hotel, and it is always nice to see guests enjoy this as well. Thank you also for pointing out our team as well. The combination of our wonderful staff and the historic nature of our hotel makes the President a perfect choice for any reason to visit Kansas City!
Burlington, Vermont
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2014

Very nice and historic. Room was fine, lobby and meeting rooms are beautiful. Smaller than other nearby hotels but very much enjoyed.

I attended a business conference here so I was not paying. Can not speak to the value of the rooms. Employees I encountered were all very friendly. The place is clearly historic. I was served breakfast and lunch over the course of several days - all of the food I was served was very good.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thanks for the wonderful review and the photos. We are so pleased you had a nice meeting experience at the hotel. It was nice to see you took a photo of my parents honeymoon receipt from 1950. The hotel is very special to me for several reasons, this being one of them. We would love to see you again in the future. Thanks again for taking the time to share your thoughts about your visit.
Philip Strnad
Seymour
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2014

I believe this hotel is rated 4 stars. I would have marked it as 3.5 stars because I don't quite see what would make it 4 stars, but I did not try the restaurant, which by looking at the menu, appears to be very good. The hotel appears not to have a pool or whirlpool or sauna, which could be due to the fact that it looks like the original building was constructed in the 19th century. The hotel reflects a lot of beautifully maintained 19th century architecture and I found my room nicely appointed, but a tad smaller than I envisioned. I have stayed at 3 star Embassy Suites in downtowns that I would have rated above this hotel in terms of room size and comfort. So far, I have found the service here nice and would stay here again because of the location and good service.

Room Tip: I had Room 606, which was across from the ice machine. There is not a mini-fridge in my room, so I...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts about your stay at our hotel. I am pleased you really enjoyed your stay and you will visit again. I noted a few small comments about room size and the lack of a pool. Your points are noted. As the hotel is a historic landmark the addition of a pool was out of the question, as federal law dictated the hotel look and feel as it originally circa 1927. We would love to see you again in the future. In the coming months we will be partnering with a new full service fitness center opening in downtown. Our guests will have complimentary use of their indoor and outdoor pools.
Higginsville, Missouri
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2014

Beautiful hotel, great valet staff, as well as front desk staff. Beds are extremely comfortable. But do not accept a room on the 13th floor. There is only 1 elevator to this floor and everyone else uses it as well. Views of Sprint Center, and Power and Light is nice. GREAT WALKING DISTANCE TO SPRINT CENTER for concerts.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

philipstrnad, General Manager at Hilton President Kansas City, responded to this review, 6 June 2014
Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts about your visit. All of your kind comments will certainly help the TripAdvisor community when choosing a hotel for their visit to Kansas City. You pointed out some wonderful attributes of the hotel, including the comfort and location. Point taken about the hotel elevators and the 13th floor. Some of our guests enjoy the suites on 13, others would rather a different location. Again, thanks so much for your time and we look forward to seeing you again in the future!
Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2014

I checked in on the Monday evening of a holiday (Memorial Day). It was very nice but quiet in the hotel. The hotel appeared to be practically empty that evening. I was accompanied by two of my co-workers. Rather than look elsewhere to eat, we decided to eat in the hotel restaurant. We were the only guests in the restaurant at first although by the time we finished, there were other people there. The waiter was very friendly and knowledgeable about the food and about the city, area, and just about anything we asked him about. He made helpful suggestions. I chose trout something or other but it was very pleasing to the eye and very tasty. Likewise my co-workers’ orders were pleasant to see and they enjoyed them as well. The price was not too costly for the ambiance and caliber of the restaurant. The hotel itself appears historic and beautiful. My room was pleasant and clean. I did notice that one of my lamps did not work. I didn’t bother to report it until I returned from my work the second night and then it was just a matter of notifying the front desk. They sent a maintenance man within less than an hour to change the bulb. The flat screen TV was nice as well as the showers, king size bed and linens. Not much more that I could have asked for. The rooms are equipped with safes, which was also nice. As for parking, it was valet parking but only $20 per night plus tip which is much less than other cities I’ve visited. One of my co-workers said that she walked to a very nice restaurant for breakfast one morning and that there were other eating establishments within walking distance of the hotel. I did not utilize the hotel restaurant other than on the night I arrived. The hotel’s “business center” consisted of two computers off to the side of the lobby. One was Windows-based and the other a Mac. For my purposes it was adequate. I printed a document I had worked on in my room on my laptop by transferring it to a thumb drive and just printing the document on their computer which was connected to a printer. I spent three nights there. All in all, I find that the Hilton President Kansas City is an excellent hotel for use by the business traveler, centrally located with easy access to the freeways. I do have to return to this area in the future so I will certainly choose this hotel again. Next time I might try some of the other eating establishments that are within walking distance. I rate this hotel as a “very good.”

Green Features: Everyone from the front desk staff to the restaurant staff was very friendly and helpful.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
philipstrnad, General Manager at Hilton President Kansas City, responded to this review, 4 June 2014
Thanks for that very comprehensive review. I am pleased you had a great visit to our hotel and equally pleased you will return in the future. Your insights will certainly help many in the TripAdvsior community. Thanks again for your time and we do look forward to seeing you again in the future!
Philip