“Exceeded Expectations!” 5 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersSilver level
Pacific NW
“Exceeded Expectations!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 January 2009

We had to be in KC for a wedding and stayed at the President because that's where the majority of the out-of-towners were staying, therefore I didn't do as much research on the hotel and didn't have any preconcieved notions. We booked directly through the Hilton website at a discounted rate.

Due to weather, our flight in arrived a day late, and the hotel was gracious enough to not charge us for that first missed night - yay, we're off to a good start! At check in (admittedly, I'm sure we looked beyond frazzled from spending the previous day and night in the airport), I asked the clerk if any upgrades were available and what the cost would be - they upgraded us to a very nice corner king with sleeper sofa room at the same rate- we were happy. The room was very nice and VERY large. Everything in the room worked; good heat, good hot water, etc. Parking was fine - we self-parked at $13 per day. They give you a key for the underground lot which is underground a building kitty-cornered from the hotel itself, so there is a little outdoor walk back to the lobby back entrance.

I used the work out room twice - it is bigger than most hotel work out rooms and all equipment I used worked fine, there were 3 tvs, bottled water, apples and plenty of towels. It was very clean.

The hotel is within walking distance (dress warm - it was 9 degrees when we were there) of lots and lots of restaurants and bars - upscale and casual places. We had dinner one night at Bice Bistro / Wine Bar and it was fantastic - there service was great, atmosphere nice and food and wine wonderful.

The only needed improvement I noticed for the hotel was the food and beverage - the service seemed to be ambivalent to their guests and twice the food we were served was a bit burned (room service hamburger and breakfast french toast x 2) - we visited the bar twice, the kids had room service, and we all had breakfast in the restaurant. Service at breakfast was beyond poor, even though we were the only table in the restaurant - but to the hotel's credit (after I filled out a survey they sent me) the F&B Director called me regarding the situation.

Overall, we had a great experience - we stayed 3 nights - and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this property.

• Stayed December 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank TariTari

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (130)
Kansas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 January 2009

I was very nervous about staying at this hotel since there were so many poor reviews. Luckily, everything was great. I don't know what folks are talking about with regards to parking. If you tell the front desk clerk that you are self parking, then they give you a key to the parking garage. There is about a 30 foot walk out of the parking garage and into the back of the hotel. I was so worried about being cold, but it was no problem at all. We have stayed at many hotels and this was actually one of the shortest walks from our vehicle to the hotel entrance. The drawback is that you do have to pay for parking, it is not free. I should note that although it was cold during our stay, there was no snow or ice on the ground. And if you choose, you can drop your things off right at the back door and then park, if ice or snow is an issue.

The next thing I was worried about was the hot water. Many reviewers said there was no hot water and I really like hot showers. But we had tons of hot water. Not only did I have plenty, but my husband also took a long shower and our child took a totally full hot bath. So, there was no lack of hot water here. Whew!

The hotel is beautiful and the rooms were very nice. They are a bit small, but still very comfortable. The beds were a little firm, but also comfortable. We had a great room with a great view of the downtown district. Really cool. I loved the specialty coffee maker and the fact that they had real half and half. The coffee was very good. We stayed at this hotel for the location because we were attending events in the area. It worked out great for us.

We did not contact customer service for anything because everything worked great. But everyone was very nice when we checked in and offered lots of help. I also checked out (but didn't use) the workout room. I know someone said it was really small, but it seemed nicely sized to me. I would certainly have enjoyed using it if we'd stayed longer.

Overall I would say this is a great hotel and I would stay here again.

• Liked — It was beautiful
  • Disliked — pay parking
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled with family
Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 December 2008

They have obviously spent a lot of money to renovate this old, historic hotel. The location is nice if you want to hit the bars in the Power and Light district or attend an event at the Sprint Center. Otherwise, the location is not much of an attraction. The reviewers who said there was no hot water are right. This is a persistent problem that has gone on for months. Rooms are of average size and nicely appointed, but nothing special. If you self park, you've got a bit of a hike to get back to the hotel -- not pleasant in the KC winters or if tis raining. Unlikely I would stay here again.

• Liked — Historic property
  • Disliked — Lack of hot water, must pay for internet
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled on business
2 Thank wirepaladin08
Atlanta, Georgia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 November 2008

I can only echo the other comments already made on here about poor customer service.

We had a room reserved weeks in advance. Called days before requesting a bottle of wine be on ice in the room when we arrive (surprise birthday weekend). We arrived on time and the wine was not there. After calling the front desk I was told it was on it's way up. 30 minutes later I called again. They told me the Food and Beverage director was on his way up with the wine. Another 20 minutes later it shows up and I explain to the guy it was too late, we had to leave for dinner. He shrugged his shoulders and said he was just the "delivery guy".

After returning to the room (corner suite, 11th floor) after dinner. We were woken by a dance on the 12th floor. Turns out there was a wedding party and the dance floor was directly above our room. The walls were rattling and we could actually hear the words the DJ was saying. I called the front desk and their answer was "well, most people don't have a problem with it because they don't go to bed before midnight". Did she really just tell me there were only certain hours I was expected to get sleep while paying for a suite in a Hilton?

Great hotel, great location.. but the service was undoubtedly one of the worst I have seen in a hotel.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Service
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
4 Thank tigerider
Orlando, Florida
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 November 2008

Location of this Historic Renovated Hotel is great....in the Heart of the Power and Light District. However, the facility and the staff need much improvement. The two main issues we had with the room were dirty towels and no hot water. We called the front he desk several times on two seperate days and asked why we had no hot water. On all occasions, they said they had no idea about the problem and would have engineering call us or send someone to the room. No one ever called nor did anyone ever show up. After letting the water run for 20 minutes, it finally became luke warm. This property has much potential, but the current management is second rate.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Poor Service and overall quality
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank hank32
San Antonio, Texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 October 2008

Something has happend to this Hotel since my last stay several months ago. First of all the hotel is supposed to be 100% smoke free. The first room I was put in was full of the smell of cigarette smoke. The window was open, so they were obviously trying to air it out. I was then moved to a room next to an elevator. My Hilton profile specifically states I do not want to be next to the elevator. Then then hot water was not working in the shower, stood at the bar for 15 minutes with no service, hair on one of the towels, etc. I wouldn't be writing this abrasive review if the front office manager "Jennifer" would have made an adjustment of substance to my bill, or placted me with honors points. Jennifer wanted to argue that they "took care" of the situation and took a 16.00 parking charge off my bill. She called this meeting me halfway. It's sad because this is really a beautiful old hotel. Any other time I've had issues such as this the hotel has apoligized, and taken care of the situation to my satisfaction. Jennifer needs to go back to customer service school.

• Disliked — Jennifer
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled on business
3 Thank Wayfarer58
JFitz83
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2008

We stayed at the President while in town for a friends wedding over a weekend. Had a great experience! The staff was very friendly our room was very clean and very nice. I was orginally concerned about the cost but it was worth every penny. I would very much recommend the Drum Room if looking for a quite place to grab a drink which we did both night we were there. We are already planning another trip to KC and plan to stay at the President again.

• Liked — Service
  • Disliked — Valet Parking was rather slow at peak times
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple