“Great Atmosphere and Location”

Courtyard Kansas City Country Club Plaza
Ranked #20 of 109 Hotels in Kansas City
Pekin, Illinois
“Great Atmosphere and Location”
Reviewed 17 February 2013 via mobile

This historic looking building that the Courtyard is great. The service was excellent and the room big, clean and updated to the standards of the other Courtyards. The breakfast was also good in the morning and the server was very attentive to your needs. The lobby area is a great place to meet with business associates and clients. Very close to all the restaurants on the Plaza all in walking distance. Would stay here again.

Stayed February 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
arkansas
Reviewed 13 February 2013

This is an old apartment building that has been restored and renovated to a very cute and cozy hotel. I was there on a girls weekend. We reserved a corner room that had a sitting area and was larger than the standard room. Beds were comfortable and lots of pillows available. Paul Mitchell toiletries. Starbucks coffee in the rooms and in the lobby. We went down to the small bar one night and had a drink in front of the fire...very nice. We shopped in the Plaza which is just a few short steps from the back door. We went to the concert and the front desk had a cab ready for us immediately. I would stay here again in a heartbeat. If I had to find something that could improve, its the thin, small and hard towels.

Room Tip: Corner rooms are bigger than the regular rooms and well worth the extra $20. Great views too!
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank lesliz64
chicago, il
Reviewed 30 January 2013

We just got back from two nights at the Marriott Courtyard at the Plaza in KC and couldn't have been happier. The location is perfect, right at the edge of the Plaza, and the hotel itself is a charming, spotless building that has been painstakingly renovated. Best of all was the staff. Funny story:
When it was discovered that we couldn't get Downton Abbey on our room television, Daniel set up the station for us in the bar area of the lobby and turned down the overhead music so that we could hear the program. Then, just as (Lady) Sybil was taking her last breath, I said to my husband, "I can't watch anymore," backed away from the bar, and passed out. Turns out that I was hit VERY suddenly with the flu. The last thing I heard was my husband say, "if you get that involved in a tv show, you shouldn't be watching it!" Meanwhile, he was so absorbed in the show himself that it took a minute before he realized I was on the floor. Throughout the remainder of the evening, the night staff (Daniel and Candi) were most caring and helpful.

Thank you again to all. We will be back, and would have been even without our experience.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank MarshaL_Evanston
Lincoln, Nebraska
Reviewed 21 January 2013

Excellent staff and good location for walking to the Country Club Plaza but I didn't love this hotel. It was just okay. The price was a bit high for the quality level. For a few extra bucks per night could have gotten a 4 star hotel. In the past we used priceline and paid less for a much better hotel. The bedding was clean but not nice - functional. Same with the room. Just not as nice as I was expecting or the price would have indicated. It was generally an average hotel but for that area of town (country club plaza), I thought it was below average. I wouldn't stay there again. But again, it was clean and perfectly fine. If you get a good deal on the price, go for it.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the park out front. I don't think they have any rooms with views of the p...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank C001
Texas
Reviewed 17 January 2013

We stayed over Christmas at this hotel in the Kansas City Country Club Plaza area. It was a very nice, attractive historical hotel built about 1924. The room was very large, with 2 queens, a work desk, flat screen tv, and seating area, with a fold out sofa. It was clean and nicely decorated. The staff were all very friendly and we had no problems at all. They have a small breakfast dining area downstairs that has a buffett or prepared meals. The waiter, Michael, was very friendly, efficient and thoroughly impressed us each morning. The price for our room was very reasonable through a link on Southwest Airlines. It was conveniently located to many local attractions, not to mention the lovely Country Club Plaza across the street. There are numerous blocks of wonderful restuarants and shops of all types within a short walk. There was no charge for parking in a self parking area just behind the hotel. It was very convenient to the back entrance. We plan to stay here again when visiting family.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 16 January 2013

I arrived at 10 p.m. on Monday night for a one night stay. Check-in was very easy and I was directed to free parking in the back. Free parking in that area is a huge plus although there aren't many covered spots. I walked inside to my room and was surprised how small it was. The fridge in the room was making an awful loud humming noise and I eventually had to turn it off. I looked out the window onto a big concrete wall that was basically the side of the parking garage. It was late at night so it didn't matter, but I don't think anyone likes a view of a big concrete wall. If I had been there for a long stay, it would have bothered me more. The room overall was just okay. Like I said, kind of small and the bathroom was average. The decor was average although not as nice as a Hampton Inn. For $174 a night booked through Marriott's website, I definitely expected more. I can't imagine they were sold out of rooms and couldn't have put me on a higher level floor with a little better view. But that's okay. I got woken up the next morning by the alarm of the person in the room next to me which is kind of annoying. I also used the work out facility and was glad no one else was in there because it was really small. The tv on the treadmill didn't work. Overall, I'd say it was average. I'm sure there are some nice rooms in the hotel, I just didn't get one of them for whatever reason. There are lots of hotels in the area and I'll give something different a try next time.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
Nebraska
Reviewed 13 January 2013

The Marriott Courtyard is our favorite place to stay on the Plaza, especially at Christmas. Easy walking distance to everything. We opted for the larger corner room this time and it gave us the extra room we needed without a high price. The room has a small refrigerator for beverages, which is nice. Staff are very friendly and helpful. Breakfast is not included and the breakfast menu at the hotel is limited and just ok in flavor, but don’t let that deter you from staying at the hotel. There are other options on the plaza for breakfast. It is a nice hotel and we enjoy our stay there every time. We have tried the Sheraton and Embassy Suites on the plaza and always come back to the Marriott.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family