“A decent stay”

Ranked #20 of 109 Hotels in Kansas City
Cincinnati, Ohio
“A decent stay”
Reviewed 21 March 2014 via mobile

I stayed here for two nights while in town for business. Out of the four recommendations for hotels in the area, this was the only one with any rooms available.

I can say check-in and check-out was a breeze. The hotel was beautifully maintained and I loved the mix of new with historic. The rooms were well appointed for how small they were. The room worked fine for me but I think a family might find the room much too small for them. The bed was comfortable and the staff was really friendly.

Breakfast was decent, coffee shop in the lobby was great. I would agree with other people that this location may not be the best for those with handicap accessibility needs. Overall, I don't really have any complaints.

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Amy R, General Manager at Courtyard Kansas City Country Club Plaza, responded to this review, 26 March 2014
Dear Ms. Waits,

Thank you so much for your recent review of the Courtyard Marriott Kansas City. We appreciate any and all feed back from guest such as yourself as it only helps us to improve on our product and service.

We hope to have you as our guest the next time you visit Kansas City.

Warmest regards,
Amy Ridgeway

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 20 February 2014

I booked this hotel for a one-night stay for a business meeting in Kansas City. I've stayed in several Courtyard hotels and was expecting a modern building with a large central atrium with rooms that open onto the central plaza. This Courtyard is not one of those. This is a renovated apartment building of some age. My floor still has "dairy delivery closets" with a commemorative descriptive plaque explaining what they are. (Essentially, ice-cooled closets that were accessible to the suite occupants where the milkman used to deliver dairy products before refrigeration.) So, the building is quite old.
Having said that, the building is very clean and well-kept. It was also blessedly quiet on the night I stayed there. The rooms are kept clean and are well-appointed. I used Hotels.com to book and their listing had two inaccuracies: breakfast is a la carte on weekdays and not the $9.95 flat rate advertised and parking is not free ($5/day). The services offered everything you'd expect from a good hotel and the staff were very attentive.
In summation, I had a pleasant stay but the hotel was not what I expected. Despite its many positive attributes, I feel somewhat short-changed and have decided to try to find a different place to stay on what promises to be many visits to that area of KC.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank lecas7ro
Kerri M, Director of Sales at Courtyard Kansas City Country Club Plaza, responded to this review, 3 March 2014
Dear lecas7ro,
Thank you for taking time to write a review. We appreciate your comments and pride ourselves with a very clean, up todate hotel, we recently completed a major renovation, blending the historic aspects with modern upgrades.
Please keep us in mind for future needs as the Country Club Plaza offers over 150 shopping and dining options located within steps from our parking. We have also corrected the parking details on Hotels.com reflecting $5.00 per STAY.
Thank you again for staying with us.
Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed 13 January 2014 via mobile

My wife and I had an overnight at the Courtyard by Marriott on the Plaza. We enjoyed our time there and would recommend it to other visitors. It has a great location just a tad off the plaza, though the plaza proper is in easy walking distance. The room was comfortable--though it's decor suggests that it was more business-friendly than couple-friendly. The woman at the front desk was warm and welcoming, which is always a huge plus for me in any hotel. I also like how, on the outside, the hotel looks more like an apartment building than a hotel. That's a better fit for the city. I think it is a little too pricey, which is the only thing that would make me think twice before returning. But easy access to the plaza may sell it to anyone whose budget is not too tight.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Geoff S
Kerri M, Director of Sales at Courtyard Kansas City Country Club Plaza, responded to this review, 15 January 2014
Dear Geoff S,
Thank you for your comments, we are very proud of our staff and how they care about each guest and their needs. I will share your comments with them at our daily meeting. I am also happy the location located on the Plaza was convenient for your stay.
We appreciate the Corporate guests during the week and our leisure travelers on the weekends.
Please visit us again soon.
Decorah, Iowa
Reviewed 11 January 2014

The biggest problem with this property is the lack of ramps for luggage into the hotel (or handicapped). Also - for the price, a modest breakfast should be included. The access to the Plaza is of course a big plus, but all in all, we thought it was pretty "average-to good" and rather wished we had stayed up the street at the Embassy Suites which we've always enjoyed. An OK but not outstanding stay. The staff at the desk was great.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Koolbill,
Thank you for your review. I am sorry to hear you weren't aware of the ramps in the front and back of the hotel (parking area). Please ask our front desk associates to show you where these they are located.

We would love for you to visit us again soon and give us another try to make your visit outstanding.
Reviewed 30 December 2013

My husband and I stayed here for a long weekend after Christmas. We had never visited Kansas City before, so we wanted to experience as much of the city as possible in our time frame.

I cannot say enough about how perfectly located this hotel is. This Courtyard Marriott is on the northeastern edge of the Country Club Plaza, meaning you are within walking distance of all the great shopping and restaurants the Plaza has to offer (we ate at Jack Stack's and the Capital Grille; highly recommend both). We walked to the Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art, which is not on the Plaza, but was an easy walk. We even walked to the historic Westport district for dinner at the Beer Kitchen...looking at the map, we thought this would be too far to walk, so we took a cab there, but walked back after realizing how close it was!

Our room was extremely nice and while slightly small, it was the perfect size for just the two of us. The bathroom was very spacious and clean. We are light sleepers and usually bring earplugs when staying in hotels because of bad experiences in the past, but noise was not an issue here. The rooms seemed to be rather soundproof. The couple next door to us arrived at the same time we did, so we know we had neighbors, but never heard a sound.

This hotel is an old apartment building, beautifully renovated and updated. The only caution I would give would be to visitors needing accessible accommodations. Because of the age of the building, we noticed steps everywhere with accessible ramps on far ends. The free parking was a huge plus, and we never had an issue finding a spot. I can't imagine us staying anywhere else when we return to KC!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jcrouch84
Kerri M, Director of Sales at Courtyard Kansas City Country Club Plaza, responded to this review, 3 January 2014
Thank you jcrouch84 for sharing your outstanding guest experience of your stay at our Courtyard Country Club Plaza. We're so pleased that you had a great visit. Our location on The Country Club Plaza is conveniently located to experience all the wonderful sites Kansas City has to offer. Our hotel is a historic building and all the rooms are different sizes, we recently completed a beautiful renovation and very much appreciate your comments. We look forward to you returning to our hotel.
Lincoln, NE
Reviewed 26 December 2013

In KC with our 20 something kids. Best way to spend time with them these days is to book a good hotel, get several excellent meals, and drop in on a few cultural spaces. This Marriott is very well run and extremely comfortable, with a perfect location for KC's two best art museums (Nelson -Atkins and Kemper) and walking distance to Plaza shopping, etc.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
DavidFLincoln, thank you for sharing your very nice review. We are happy to hear your adult children enjoyed the Country Club Plaza, Nelson Atkins and Kemper, not to mention the shopping. Please visit us again in the very near future.
Arvada, Colorado
Reviewed 12 December 2013

I do a lot of traveling for my job and this is on the top of my list. The staff here is great. The rooms are spacious and more than what I need to do my work. I was able to get a good nights rest. I will be back!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Thank you WorkForYou, we appreciate your very nice review. Traveling for business can be tiring and it is our goal to make your stay productive and restful. We like to be on the "top of my list" of our guests.
We look forward to having you stay with us again.