“Location good, staff a disappointment”

Courtyard Kansas City Country Club Plaza
Ranked #17 of 108 Hotels in Kansas City
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Location good, staff a disappointment”
Reviewed 28 July 2010

This was the hotel my cousin had chosen to get a group rate for her family/friends traveling into town for her wedding. I thought it was a great idea because I typically love Marriott properties, so we confirmed our stay there along with some other family coming in from out of town. Now, I live in St. Louis and work late, but still made a reservation for Friday and Saturday night, though I knew we wouldn't be getting to the property until 2a-3am early Saturday. I called the hotel and advised them of this, and they said "no problem." So, we get to the hotel, check-in, head to bed - everything seemed fine. I decided the next morning (Saturday) that I would like a roll-a-way bed in case my brother decided to join us in the room, since he had yet to book his own hotel stay. At first they said "sure, no problem" so my fiance and I went to their work out room and started our day as usual. When I came back I had a voicemail waiting for me from "Deb" at the front desk telling me that because I was in an accessible room (which I did not request when I made the reservation on the Marriott website) roll-a-way beds were not permitted. I told her I hadn't requested an accessible room (the hotel had excessive availability the weekend we were there, so I have no idea why we were given the accessible room) and assured her there weren't any occupants with accessible needs, but she still said it wasn't permitted. She then asked me why I was even making such a request because she was showing that I was scheduled to check out that day (my check out date was, and had always been, Sunday). I told her, "uh, NO" that was incorrect and for her to research the reservation because my reservation had always been checking in on Friday, checking out on Sunday. I was beside myself that they would make a mistake like that. What if the hotel had been booked up that night and I had to figure something else out the night of my cousin's wedding??? I mean, she had set up this deal with them in the first place. They had lost all credibility with me after this point, but before I hung up with her, I asked if we could just have extra blankets, and she said that wouldn't be a problem. A few hours go by and we still hadn't received the blankets. We were getting ready to leave the hotel, so I called down to the front desk/houskeeping to tell them just to leave them outside the room and was fortunate enough to speak with "Deb" again. After I asked about the blankets she made the assumption that I was trying to get away with having more than 4 occupants in the room and immediately "warned" me that if I was planning on having more than 4 occupants I would have to pay for an extra room!!! I was enraged! Yes, the room I had included two double beds, but one was being occupied by my mom and one was being occupied by my fiance and I - how dare her make the assumption that I was trying to get away with something when all we were in town for was my cousin's wedding! You would think since my cousin had established this rate and had talked with someone there about this block of rooms, that we would have had better service, but it was horrible! Such a disappointment coming from a Marriott property. I had never been treated like this by a representative at a hotel, and I was appalled. Upon check-out the next day I was asked how my stay was and I didn't have time to rant about it, so I told them it was "ok" and was then told I would be emailed a survey. Conveniently, of course, I never received that survey.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
MCICP, General Manager at Courtyard Kansas City Country Club Plaza, responded to this review, 28 July 2010
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your recent review of the hotel from your stay in May of 2009. We value ANY feedback we recieve from our guests as we are constantly improving our operation everyday. I would like to personally apologize for you unfortuante experience with our front desk staff. The particular staff memeber in question is no longer employed at our hotel.

Again, thank you for your comments and we would love the opportunity to host you again on any planned trips to Kansas City.

Regards,
Amy Ridgeway

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 23 July 2010

I went on a business trip with sprint and i wanted to stay on the plaza and i am glad idid.
check in was great corey was a ton of help telling me about a geat steak house i took my boss to called plaza 3 WOW what a great place eat ...
i will stay at the courtyard on the plaza everytime i am in kansas city

• Stayed June 2010, travelled on business
California
Reviewed 8 July 2010

My husband and I stayed two nights here in June, 2010, and were thrilled to find it very different from the standard Courtyards. As others have mentioned, it is in an architecturally interesting building, and within walking distance to a large outdoor mall, good restaurants, a river walk by Brush Creek, as well as the Nelson Atkins Museum of Art.

The room was very comfortable, and quiet, thankfully, even with our view of the front and the park. We did not eat there preferring to seek out our own menus, so can't speak to the food. The front desk was very very helpful, and the free parking an important bonus.

We would stay here again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
Louisville, Kentucky
Reviewed 15 June 2010

I recently traveled with a group of 18 who all stayed at this Marriott for two nights. It is in a lovely historic building and in a fantastic location. All of our rooms and keys were ready when we arrived and everyone was pleased with his or her room. My room appeared to be newly renovated, was spacious, and included a flat screen TV, microwave, and mini frigerator. Because we came by bus (which could be parked in front of the hotel) it was nice to be able to walk to everything in Country Club Plaza. There are numerous excellent restaurants there, and we got good advice from the front desk staff. A gentleman named Greg gave me several good suggestions and pointed everything our on a map. A small bar is also open in the lobby in the evenings.

Our reservations included the buffet breakfast. It was excellent and had a wide variety of offerings. Also the gentleman who worked the buffet really hustled and made sure we had everything we needed.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled on business
Murcia, Spain
Reviewed 30 May 2010

A first visit to Kansas City and this area came as a surprise. Lots of "upmarket" (=expensive) shops and restaurants. Though good value food can be found and there is a huge Barnes & Noble. I'm afraid we have got beyond being impressed with anything purporting to be "upmarket". But had fun smiling at others who were (impressed, apparently).

First time also at a "Courtyard" by Marriott. Not a "full service" hotel but impressive none-the-less and good value, given the area.

Please, though, provide a sign at the congested front of the hotel stating that the parking is at the rear. We got stuck and very hot and bothered trying to get out of it before we eventually found the parking round the back and got in to check-in. Also there is an urgent need for a ramp down to the rear doors. No fun struggling down those stone steps with heavy suitcases. And no bell-hops on hand here, of course.

This hotel was originally built as an "apartment hotel" in the 20s and restoration has been sympathetic; the rooms & hallways are interesting and redolent of a more elegant age.

The guy who checked us in was friendly, cheerful and helpful.

Would stay here again if we find ourselves in need of a bed in Kansas City.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
kansas city
Reviewed 16 February 2010

Hotel is located on the Plaza and has all the amenities you could ask for during your stay. I would not hesitate to stay here in the future. This is one of the better hotels on the Plaza.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 3 February 2010

I go to KC and Country Club Plaza a few times a year, have stayed at the Ritz/Intercontinental which is over priced these days even with my Corp rate at $225, and the Rapheal a few times, I hear they remodeled it, but it was huge rooms and old world charm, great locale, but not much else.

This Courtyard is in a Historic building, and a great location a few steps from the main cafes and shopping, it has a neat personality, and the rooms are all different everytime I go, Its a nice value and can be beat, free parking too.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled on business