“Quirky, great location, historic”

Holiday Inn Aladdin
Ranked #44 of 109 Hotels in Kansas City
Reviewed 17 May 2012

This 1925 hotel is small and quirky in a good way. The rooms are decorated for impact in bright modern colors. The location is excellent--within an easy 5 to 10 block walk are some of the cities best restaurants. We loved our stay--once we got moved to a king size room on the 6th floor. The first room they gave us was a tiny dark queen size room on the second floor from which all available light was blocked by a taller building very close by was something we couldn't accept. Would rather have been than at a Marriott, especially for the reasonable price. I'd stay there again.

Room Tip: Higher rooms are better, south facing is better
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
mgangle, Manager at Holiday Inn Aladdin, responded to this reviewResponded 20 June 2012

Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a wonderful, in-depth review of your stay at the Aladdin. We strive to exceed each guest's expectations and I am delighted to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed the hospitality and service you received while staying with us. I will be sure to pass along your kind words to our staff.

Along with my team, I hope we are able to welcome you back to the Aladdin in the near future!

Reviewed 16 May 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Aladdin for our anniversary. Yes, the rooms were small, but we don't need a huge room. I thought for the price and the location the rooms were perfect. They were very clean and the hotel was very quiet. I thought the staff was really nice too---about an hour after check in, they called to ask how our room was. I love that they have BBW shampoo, conditioner and lotion! I also thought the bed was very comfortable and the 2 shower heads was nice! I thought the heater in the bathroom was a nice touch also.

If you're looking for a place to stay that's close to everything, stay here! Parking is across the street and was $12. We parked there when we arrived and walked everywhere we wanted to go until it was time to leave. Next time, we'll probably just do valet because it's only $15.

Any questions? Feel free to ask!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 May 2012

The Alladin is advertised as a spa. I only used it as a place to stay on business and cannot comment on the resort spa aspect of it. The building itself is quite old, and they have tried to do what they could with it, with some success, but there is no real way to change the size of the rooms, or redo the ventilation without ripping out the insides. There is a window-mounted air conditioner as well as built-in central AC with a wall-mounted control panel - very strange. No so pleasant was that the central AC fan was very loud, and setting it on low did not seem to change how hard it worked - at least I couldn't set it to my satisfaction. So, I had to turn it off altogether so as not to be awoken by the fan kicking in throughout the night, which made for a warm, unpleasant sleep.

The building itself is very picturesque. It is connected underground to the municipal auditorium (quite an interesting building in itself) and the convention centre. It is also a block away from the Power and Light District, a gentrified area of town with lots of upscale dining.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
IHGCare, IHG Care at Holiday Inn Aladdin, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2012

Dear Montreal-Mathman,

Thank you for posting a review of our property and I am pleased that you gave us high scores on Location, Value, and Service. Our hotel is very proud of its level of service, cleanliness and quality of its product. I apologize for any inconvenience you have experienced due to the noise from the Air Conditioner. I have taken note and wish to thank you for all your valuable comments. These are of great importance to us and allow us to monitor and improve our service continually.

We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Janice A
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 6 May 2012

My husband and I visited the Holiday Inn Aladdin in late April 2012 for a wedding. Valet parking and check-in were easy and we each received a complimentary glass of champagne. The room was well decorated, but definitely small being that this is an old building. Upon returning from the wedding, I noticed the sheets seemed to have hairs scattered around on them that were definitely not ours. If it hadn't been so late I would have called the front desk to have them changed. I told myself that perhaps they just stuck to the sheets during washing/drying. But I was still grossed out. The next morning, when it was time to shower, I noticed there was long hair clogging the mesh cover over the drain. Neither of us had showered yet. Everything felt unclean, sure seemed like the maid took shortcuts. Would not stay again. Go next door to the Marriott. Much nicer.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
mgangle, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Aladdin, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write a review with valuable feedback. I truly enjoy hearing from our guests regarding their individual experience while staying at the Aladdin. It allows us the opportunity to celebrate our successes and address any challenges we may have to better serve you in the future.

I am terribly sorry that you did not enjoy your stay with us. At the Aladdin, we are dedicated to satisfying each guest and I am disappointed to hear that you were less than pleased with the service you received. Please feel free to contact me directly, as I would like to discuss further specifics regarding your concerns with service and amenities.

Director of Guest Services

Reviewed 22 April 2012

I spent 2 nights in the Holiday Inn Aladdin hotel in downtown Kansas City, Mo. This was one of the friendliest hotels I have been in. Everybody smiled and greeted you where ever they saw you.
The spent megabucks remodeling and upgrading all of the rooms. They only problem is when you take an old hotel and update it you can't change the size of the rooms.

Room Tip: Excellent location if you are going to be at Bartel Hall or the convention center.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business

3. Thank you very much for the comments on your recent stay at the Aladdin. It's great to know we are delivering "amazing service" to our guests. Our staff takes great pride in the service they deliver and always strives to make our guest feel welcomed and comfortable.

Please know you are welcome here at the Aladdin!

Aladdin GSM

Reviewed 16 April 2012

Historic boutique hotel. Beautiful old building. Rooms are tiny but nice. Stay much time there and you realize you can hear (and I mean HEAR) everything that your neighbors are saying and doing. Tempurature in the room was either very cold or very hot. The television wouldn't stay off once turned off. My husband and I got a kick out of that. Guest services were very accommodating except I did see a bell hop try to bum a cigarette off of a passer by which I thought was kind of a tacky thing to do since he was in uniform. Within walking distance to Power and Light and good restaurants and bars. Minimal items such as sodas, etc., in lobby. Beds were small but acceptable. Shower pressure was very low. Just ok for my purposes but really, wouldn't mind staying here again for the great location and overall historic significance.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
mgangle, Manager at Holiday Inn Aladdin, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2012

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. As you know we are a Nationally Registered Historic building and as such we have the bones of a 1925 hotel. We are also just as proud of the multi-million dollar renovation that we went through in order to reopen our doors. All that being said we apologize for the interruption in your stay. I have personally communicated to our entire Valet team the importance of being aware of the manner in which they speak to everyone at the hotel, even when you are speaking to a person who also works for the hotel but is out of uniform. As a team we all truly believe that the Guests Come First and strive to make ensure everyone who stays with us has a satisfactory experience.

If you still have concerns please give me a call directly. I would love to get the chance to talk to you. Have a wonderful day.

Reviewed 13 April 2012

The Aladdin is an historic art deco structure that was renovated in 2007. First impression is that it's nicely done and pleasantly hip for a Holiday Inn. But spend a little time in the room and you notice its shortcomings. For example, an old and incredibly loud a/c system, wallpaper that's peeling in spots and inconsistent water pressure. The hotel is understaffed, too, as front desk employees were also doing the valet parking. When there was a rush of people needing their cars, I even saw the manager ask one of the janitors to help.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business