Holiday Inn Kansas City Downtown Aladdin
US$150
US$106
US$89
ComfortInn
Comfort Inn-Kansas City Airport(Kansas City)(Great Value!)
US$101
US$85
ComfortInn
Best Western Plus Seville Plaza Hotel(Kansas City)(Great Value!)
US$143
US$204
US$279
US$268
Priceline
All reviewsconvention centerpower and light districtbrick wallzebra roomboutique hotelparking garage across the streetvalet parkingrooms are smallthe holiday innwithin walking distancecorner roomvalet servicefront desk staffwater pressurebed was very comfortableunion stationconcert
Reviewed 19 August 2012

My wife and I drove to Kansas City from Lincoln, Ne. We just wanted to get away for the weekend. I'm a Holiday Inn Priority Club member so I do try to stay at Holiday Inn owned hotels when I can. The Aladdin is a good down town hotel for the weekend. The room was small but adequate for coming back to for the night after visiting Power and Light. I did find it interesting that the weekend we stayed the hotel staff appeared to be very young, but, this did not cause any decline in customer service. The room was quiet and the A/C worked. The shower's water pressure could have been better. The king size bed we had was very firm and the pillows were down. I don't like firm beds or down pillows. The hotel has a cool vibe and my and I would stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 August 2012

I had the opportunity to stay at the Aladdin for a 3 week period. The hotel was a "recommended" brand by my company's booking website, along with the Marriott ($$$) and the Crown Plaza ($$$). At first I was unsure of staying at a "Holiday Inn", since I think they are more of a motel type of chain than a long-term stay, but this property was classified as a Historical Building, and so I read up on some of the history (which is worthwhile). Being that it is more than just a hotel (a landmark to boot), I booked there, knowing that I had plenty of time to change to another brand if need be.

So my first exposure is to a small, interesting lobby with marble columns and a unique check in with podiums, very cool lighting, and decorations. My check in was without incident, although the champagne I was offered was, unfortunately, served warm.

Two of the three elevators are quite small, but there were enough of them to get you from the room floor to the lobby if need be, without a long wait. On the second floor is a martini bar, which is way too small for a gathering, but has a large area away from the bar where you can get comfortable on couches, chairs, or tables. No happy hour specials, and, as old as the hotel building is, there is no Aladdin or Zebra custom martini (c'mon guys, how about a little imagination and effort??) Try to get to the bar whenever Carrie is working. She really adds to your experience at the hotel, is quick to want to learn your name, where you're from, and introduce you to everyone else at the bar. You might make some unexpected friendships, and her memory upon your return is uncanny. The rest of the bar staff are mediocre, at best.

The room was adequate for my needs, and would have been fine if I was a party of 2. The king-sized bed was very comfortable, and the number of, and quality of pillows was unexpected pleasure. The room was well cleaned every day, and everything is the bathroom was in working order, with a 2-headed shower that had strong water power and instant hot water (I was on the 15th floor). Are the rooms small? I suppose, but you have to keep in mind the age of the building, and the history behind it. I'd much rather stay at a brass-and-glass type of hotel any day, and have stayed at the Claremont in Berkeley, and just hated it. This hotel, at least, is more modern inside without losing it's historic edge. I would call the hotel a "boutique" hotel for a number of reasons: 1) The staff is dressed in matching uniforms (sort of "tower of terror"-ish, but very old-fashioned looking), 2) the lobby decor, 3) the room decor, 4) The "spa" offering, 5) the overall attention by the staff, and the overall look-and-feel.

The restaurant is small, and I also agree that the breakfast buffet is more along the lines of what you'd expect for free, but it's not, and it's probably the more expensive of the dining options. However, the rest of the food served for dinner is EXCELLENT. Sure, the Power and Light district is right around the corner, and there are a number of chain type places around there that you can get food at a good price (no McDonald's in the area folks!). But take it from someone that had to spend 3 weeks looking for food in the P&L area, the staff at most of the average priced places care little about the guests. They mostly look forward to the 20+ crowds that START their evenings around 9pm. All the food at the hotel is made-to-order, and as far as I can tell, it is all made fresh, and I've tried a number of dishes, and have NO complaints about any of the menu items. Besides, the prices are fairly low for the quantity and quality of food compared to other hotels.

The room had adequate work space, and an in-room coffee maker. There were more than enough towels and washrags, and they were fairly good and not paper thin like at many lower-cost hotels. When I requested a refrigerator for the room, they quickly found one and installed it, enough though the best location for it didn't have an outlet close by. One of the outlets on the wall fixtures was inoperable. The TV worked great, and the DVD player was a god-send on boring weekends. There is a thermostat in the room, but, to be honest, I do not believe it works. Upon arrival, the thermostat read 71, and I turned it down to 61. I never thought the room ever got any colder, so, after 2 weeks, I turned it OFF, hoping to see that the room warmed up. It didn't. I suspect that the rooms are never warmer that the overall hotel temp, so there may not be a lot of control from the room thermostats.

There is no pool at the hotel, especially on the 100+ degree days. I wish the IHG group would allow some cross-use of amenities. The crown plaza across the street had a pool.

I did have a number of issues while I was there. The first being lack of internet access over a 2 day period. I spoke to the hotel manager, who quickly followed up on the problem, and updated me when the problem was resolved. Another is signage in the hotel. It is very well marked, but there are signs on the floors indicating that vending is located on 4th, 8th, and 12th floors. The only thing on those floors is ice. That is NOT vending. Vending is only available in the lobby. There were times of inattentive staff at the bar (never Carrie), and the room noise (on the 15th floor), carries from room-to-room via vents in the ceiling (so, keep your room noises low!). There is a lack of control of guests on "party" nights on the weekends, making far too much noise, and no checking on the number of people staying in one room. One night I could swear someone snuck a dog in their room, but I don't really know for sure, but I thought I heard barking.

In any case, I would return to this hotel knowing that if I have any problems, they would be quickly addressed and resolved to my satisfaction. It is close to everything without being on top of everything, so that keeps the costs low. I didn't have to use the parking, so I can't speak to the complaints about that part of other people's experiences, but, given the price, location, and amenities for my needs, I would recommend this hotel highly.

Room Tip: Middle of floor, north or south facing.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank ChazDog2003
Reviewed 14 August 2012

We come into Kansas City a lot to stay for the First Friday weekends. We thought we'd try the Holiday Inn Aladdin for the first time, and were disappointed with the experience. We've stayed at many hotels in Kansas City, and aside from one other hotel close to the Plaza, this was one of the most disappointing experiences we've had with a hotel in Kansas City.

Overall thoughts --
Check In: Took quite a while to get someone to park our car using their Valet Service. The garage across the street was full, so we used the Valet and found it was an additional $16 per night. Once inside the lobby, there were only two clerks to check people in, six people in line, and a lobby full of people off of a tour bus. Once we got through the line, the person who checked us in was very efficient and gave us a map of the Power and Light District. While it was nice that they give you a complimentary glass of champagne at check-in, I'd rather have a smooth check-in process and not a long wait in line after a long car trip.

Room: Our room with a king bed was extremely small and the decor was very dated. The bathroom had only one sink, and only one person could fit in there at a time, and we are small people. We also were in a corner sort of room that had a window unit air conditioner. The sun shone in around the unit, so it was fairly bright early in the morning, and hard to sleep in. Also difficult to keep room cool (but that was on a day it was over 100 degrees outside).

Overall, we weren't impressed at all with the hotel. Dated. Nothing unique. No free parking. No complimentary breakfast. Nothing unique to make it a "boutique" hotel. No service that was worth mentioning. Over priced. The only good thing about it was the proximity to the Power and Light District. It was not worth the money, and we won't stay there again.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank HopsHunter
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Kansas City Downtown Aladdin, responded to this reviewResponded 8 September 2012

Dear HopsHunter,

Thank you for submitting your review of our hotel. I'm pleased that you liked our hotel location, however, I regret that you were not satisfied with your overall stay with us. I apologize about the troubles of your stay particularly the issues you encountered in our valet parking facility and check in process. I am sorry to hear that your room accommodation did not live up to your expectations. It is our goal to consistently ensure our facilities and service are superior and we strive to provide rates that are competitive in the area. While we understand that your stay was less than satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Lera M
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 12 August 2012

Upon arrival the decor took us in and we actually thought we had found a hidden treasure. Once to our room we realized the lobby was a false sense of our stay. The room was the worst room I've experienced...more the feel of a MOTEL and an old one at that. The bathroom was handicap accessible so the shower poured out into the room where a.floor.drain was located. The room was tiny and even the faucet sprayed your mid sectio.

• Stayed: August 2012
1  Thank jhugs
Sarah D, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Kansas City Downtown Aladdin, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2012

Thank you very much for your recient review of our hotel. We apologize that it did not meet your expectations. From reading your review, I can see that you were placed in one of our handicap accessable rooms; these rooms are ADA compliant. Again, I apologize that your expectations were not met. We do hope on your next visit to Kansas City you will once again give us a try.

All the Best,
Sarah DeVault
Director of Sales and Marketing

Reviewed 3 August 2012

Old classic? No way, it's just old and small. Everything is small, bathroom tiny and filthy.

Staff seemed ok, and we got it for $60 a night on Priceline so that makes it a little easier to swallow. I called the 800 number to see what we'd pay rack rate after we checked in and they said $149 a night. No way.

Once again Pricelines ratings are way to high. Not a 3 star hotel.

• Stayed: August 2012
1  Thank JNB412

Thank you for your receient review. This hotel was built in 1925 and is on the National Register of Historic Hotels. We pride ourselves on the uniqueness of our product. We are sorry that it did not meet your expectations. Again, thank you for your review.

All the Best,