“Great lobby and location but don't go upstairs” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Holiday Inn Aladdin

Holiday Inn Aladdin
Ranked #43 of 109 Hotels in Kansas City
Omaha, Nebraska, United States
“Great lobby and location but don't go upstairs”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 October 2012

Classic old hotel with grand lobby/entry and social area. Small single rooms but adequate sized rooms with more than 1 bed. Although certainly a personal preference issue, beds were much too hard to get a restful night's sleep. Extra charge for car whether it's valet parked or by yourself. Easily walkable to anywhere in the PL District and Sprint Center. Noisey hallways that the hotel staff policed only when presented with the alternative of us calling the local PD. OK for the price we paid but would stay somewhere else in the future.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
Sarah D, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Aladdin, responded to this review, 5 November 2012
Thank you so much for your review! Our hotel was built in 1925 and is on the National Register of Historic Places. Each room on each floor is configured differently to give our guests more of an experience. All of the hotels in downtown Kansas City and Crown Center charge for parking. We do not own the parking garage we use for our Valet parking, and are unable to offer it as an amenity; however, we are the most economical of all of the downtown hotels.

Director of Sales and Marketing

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
Saint Louis, Missouri
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 October 2012 via mobile

I travel a lot for work. This hotel is well above average. Rooms are nice, cool decor, have a desk and comfy chair. Tub in the bathroom also has a double jet shower which is nice. People are very nice and hotel has charm to it. Valet is not my favorite thing in the world but considering the options in downtown it is by far the best. We had breakfast once. It was buffet style. At 13 dollars it is not cheap but the quality of the buffet was very good. I would reccommend this hotel. I read some of the other less favorable reviews and are not reflective of this hotel

Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
Sarah D, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Aladdin, responded to this review, 24 October 2012
Thank you so much for your review! We sincerely appreciate your kind words, and informative assessment of our hotel. You are right - parking is just one of those things that you have to pay for at any Downtown Hotel, and just to let you know we have the best value for our breakfast buffet, compared to all of the other hotels in the Downtown Kansas City Market.

Thank you again, and we look forward to welcoming you back very soon!

Savannah, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 October 2012 via mobile

This is a very nice hotel in downtown Kansas City. You can walk to an endless amount of restuarants and theaters. The surrounding architecture is amazing. There are so many things to do. I will return to this hotel again soon.

• Stayed October 2012
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you so much for your review! Our hotel is in a prime location for Downtown Kansas City! We are connected to the Convention Center via underground walk way for when it is too hot or too cold outside, and we are 2 blocks from the Kansas City Power and Light district! With complimentary internet and champagne at check in...you can't go wrong with selecting our beautiful hotel!

New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 October 2012

Let's get the security issues out of the way first: the hotel demands that you show photo ID before using a credit card. This violates the terms of the credit card (this practice is a known vector for identity theft). Not only did management get testy and rude when I pointed this out, they started arguing with me, claiming it was on the hotel's website (it's not), and when I told them it wasn't (I had checked) they claimed it was on the parent company's website. Not only is this incorrect - who would check the website of the parent company when making a reservation? Do you check Federated Stores' website when ordering from Macy's? Crazy. On top of all this, shortly after I checked in, they slipped under my door a copy of my reservation, to which they had added the requirement that I show ID on check-in, highlighted in yellow. This was a juvenile little dig, which pretty much sums up how I was treated.

Moving on, the hotel pitches itself as a "boutique", but clearly that word does not mean what they think it means. The decor of the public areas - hallways, etc. - was dormitory-style at best. The room I stayed in had an awkward layout, thin walls, and a decor scheme that was trying to do something bold but really just looked odd. Apple green walls don't make you a "boutique" hotel, people.

Given the location and the price point, you can do much better staying somewhere else. I suggest that you stay away from this place.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank cjstephens
Thank you for your review! I sincerely apologize if you felt mistreated by our policy to see identification at check in, that was definitely not our intent. One of the reasons we have such a policy is that a hotel must verify the identity of his guests as he turns a portion of his property over to them. It is certainly for the merchant's protection but also for the guests as well. Imagine if the guest had a medical emergency and could not speak. A guest with no identification cannot assist medical personnel in contacting his family to obtain a medical history. If the hotel has his details on file and has had a glance at his license or passport to verify that he indeed is John Q Public so the doctor can call the wife to tell him that her husband had a stroke and find out he is on blood thinners or some such pertinent information. It is for your protection and safety that we have this policy.

New York City, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 October 2012

The room I stayed at had bed bugs. The carpet underneath the bed was not vacuumed, it was dirty. My arms, neck and shoulder were bitten. If you want to stay at this hotel, make sure you ask for a room that gets sunlight. No bathtub in the room I stayed at.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Sarah D, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Aladdin, responded to this review, 17 October 2012
Thank you for your comments; you are able to give us the opportunity to respond to the fact that Bed Bugs are very rare and taken very seriously at this hotel. With the recent resurgence of bedbugs in the US, they can appear in any hotel, from the best to the worst, most often brought in on travelers’ luggage. What separates the better hotels from the rest is how they respond to the situation to immediately identify, isolate and remove the problem to prevent it from becoming an infestation. This is a reflection of their commitment to both training and the use of professional resources. Reports of bed bugs are extremely rare at this hotel and they are taken very seriously by us. We do spend significant time and resources in training and prevention, so that if a report is made, either by a guest or employee, we know exactly how to handle the situation. If a guest calls us to report this issue we immediately isolated the room, and call our professional pest control company to thoroughly inspect the room. Although no evidence of bed bug activity was found in the room you were in, we heat treated the room anyway, out of an abundance of caution. I can assure both you and anyone reading this that our hotel does not have an issue with bed bug infestation, and with our current level of vigilance and commitment to the issue it never will. Unfortunately, not all hotels can say the same. Again, we appreciate your comments and giving us the opportunity to discuss this. If you would further like to discuss this, I ask that you contact me directly 816-421-8887.

Springfield
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 October 2012

My wife and I stayed at the Aladdin the weekend of Oct. 5th and for the most part we enjoyed our stay. I say for the most part because anytime you are in the down town area it will cost you to park your car and staying at the hotel is no different. Our choice was to park across the street in self-park garage or to use valet parking. The cost of self-park was $12 a day and pay each time you leave and re-park or use the valet parking for $16 a day period. Doesn't sound to bad in comparison but I think the hotel should offer discount parking for staying with them not cost more. I don't know about you but I always tip the valet upon parking then again for bringing the car back so the cost is more like $25 a day. This is my worst experience with the hotel. Other than that the room was quiet except for some fireworks at 10 PM each night and the staff was helpful and courtious. Our room was a king which had plenty of room and with the fan on continuous we rested pretty good. The beds are very firm which was not to our liking either however; could be good for you. In summary, the hotel stay was comfortable with plenty of restaruants within walking distance. It was mainly the parking that would deter us from staying in the area again.

Room Tip: Our bed was very firm. If you don't like firm beds you might request a room with a pillowtop ma...
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Sarah D, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Aladdin, responded to this review, 15 October 2012
Thank you so much for your review! I can understand your frustration with the cost of parking, however, in the Kansas City downtown and Crown Center hotel market, each hotel charges a parking fee. The really great thing about our hotel is that we are the most economical for valet parking with in our competitors. We sincerely appreciate you staying with us, and look forward to hosting you again!

Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2012

BED BUG INFESTED.

I stayed at the Aladdin for a friend's wedding. The room was apearred to be clean and the staff was friendly. However, after my one night stay I am covered in bites. Yes, our room was infested with BED BUGS. This is so discusting and I highly recommened staying somewhere else. I have bites all over my face, neck, and arms. The hotel has yet to refund my stay. If you encounter bed bugs and they travel home with you, good luck, they are nightmare to get rid of.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your comments; you are able to give us the opportunity to respond to the fact that Bed Bugs are very rare and taken very seriously at this hotel. With the recent resurgence of bedbugs in the US, they can appear in any hotel, from the best to the worst, most often brought in on travelers’ luggage. What separates the better hotels from the rest is how they respond to the situation to immediately identify, isolate and eradicate the problem to prevent it from becoming an infestation. This is a reflection of their commitment to both training and the use of professional resources. Reports of bed bugs are extremely rare at this hotel and they are taken very seriously by us. We do spend significant time and resources in training and prevention, so that if a report is made, either by a guest or employee, we know exactly how to handle the situation. If a guest calls us to report this issue we immediately isolated the room, and call our professional pest control company to thoroughly inspect the room. Although no evidence of bed bug activity was found in the room you were in, we heat treated the room anyway, out of an abundance of caution. I can assure both you and anyone reading this that our hotel does not have an issue with bed bug infestation, and with our current level of vigilance and commitment to the issue it never will. Unfortunately, not all hotels can say the same. Again, we appreciate your comments and giving us the opportunity to discuss this. If you would further like to discuss this, I ask that you contact me directly at sdevault@hiaddin.com or direct at 816-421-8887.