“Terrible”

Ranked #44 of 108 Hotels in Kansas City
Kansas City
“Terrible”
Reviewed 26 March 2010

This hotel has the worst customer service. We had a reception there for my sister. From day one it was a horrible experience. I would never recommend someone hold a big event here. Even the simple block of reservations we had set aside was messed up. Even after every mistake they NEVER made if better. They could have cared less we were getting less than perfect service.
At the reception the dirty food stations weren't picked up and we even overheard they're staff asking the bartender if they could put a pizza on our tab!
When it comes to the rooms......small, heard everything from the rooms around us and again poor service. Called for help getting our bags down and they never came! Top 10 unorganized hotel i have ever stayed with. After all it JUST a HOLIDAY INN!
I could go on all day!!!!

• Stayed March 2010
1 Thank blanton3

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
Saint Paul, Minnesota
Reviewed 15 March 2010

The Aladdin is a beautiful historic hotel right in the heart of the city. If you are looking for a place right in the center of things I highly recommend this hotel for location alone. If I want to get critical the only things I observed that kept me from giving this location an excellent rating were as follows...1) Parking is across the street in a pricey ramp, hauling your luggage across 4 lanes of busy traffic is not ideal and the hotel does not give out parking vouchers/validate, 2) while on the surface the hotel seems to have gotten a makeover the fixed items (i.e. bathroom tile, EWWW) is long overdue for an upgrade, and 3) the contemporary makeover really clashes with the historic charm of the hotel, a contemporary makeover really could have played up the historic details instead of fighting with them.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank scoutgirl1228
Manhattan
Reviewed 15 February 2010

Two words...really good. Located downtown and not too far from the train station. It's quite a ways from the airport because the airport isn't located near downtown in kansas city. Next door to the Crowne Plaza and across the street from the Marriott. Walking distance from a movie theater and many nice restaurants. Good area and nice hotel. Lobby bar opens at 4pm. This is a very modern hotel with all new furnishings. Hip and trendy best describes it. Cozy and comfortable bed, flat screen plasma TV, DVD players in every room (a real plus), a bath robe in each room, new carpet.

Draw backs...some rooms are smaller than others. I stayed two nights and had two different rooms. One room was much larger than the other one. Wi-fi and wired internet available. One room had a nice stand alone shower and the other room had a shower inside the bath tub. One room had a great view and the other room looked out onto a solid brick wall. Both beds were unbelievably comfortable and plush. A very nice hotel and has a small but nice business center with free internet access.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank 200NitesAYear
Wichita, Kansas
Reviewed 16 December 2009

Loved our stay. Boy has Downtown Kansas City come a long way. This hotel is so close to everything we had planned. We were able to walk everywhere....Bartle Hall.....Municipal auditorium......Power and Light District. I am sure there were other places, but those filled our long weekend.
Nice Staff, too....especially the front desk agent we had. Gotta love the Midwest and the home town feel of Kansas City. If you like a contemporary hotel with lots of nightlife around the corner....this is a great choice. We would definitely stay there again..they also have a great rate for the location.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank biz_e_lady2
Kansas City
Reviewed 13 December 2009

For my bachelorette party my bridesmaids and I planned a night at Power and Light. We needed a hotel close to the the area and are first choice was the Aladdin. The rooms were great, we had two ajoining rooms that were very specious, nice, and clean. The service was great we had everything we needed! I don't have one complaint.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank knw8199
Fayetteville, AR
Reviewed 6 December 2009

Pros: Convenient Location, very cute rooms (they are small but anything bigger would have just been wasted floor space)

Cons: $15 per day to park, no vending machines of any kind, no comforter on the bed, walls were a little thin and was somewhat noisy

I was looking for a hotel to that was different than your ordinary run-of-the mill place. The decor of the Aladdin instantly stood out. Booked this room 2 months in advance and got a non-refundable early booking rate which was good compared to other hotels in the area. Check-in was quick and the staff was friendly and the valets were very helpful. The rooms were very cute and chic looking. Out room was on the 10th floor and had a decent view. It was very close to everywhere we wanted to go. The bartender at the Martini Loft was friendly. Overall, was a very nice stay.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank AMA4321
Worcester, Massachusetts
Reviewed 15 November 2009

I stayed at the hotel for a conference and I was very disappointed. The reviews made this hotel seem great, but I found it lacking in quality and rather overpriced. The staff was not very friendly and did not even respond to my greeting when I arrived! The room was a closet- very cramped- and I am a thin person but felt I could barely fit in the bathroom. It was pretty clean, and nicely decorated, but that's about it. It was also noisy- I'm not sure how many crying babies I heard clearly through the walls. And the view of the other rooms out the small window was disappointing- it would have been nice to look out and see something other than building walls. The location was good- close to the Convention Center- but there are so many other hotels in that area that I tend to think any one of those would have been better. Also, I felt ripped off by the amount I had to pay additionally for parking! I felt I paid way too much and if I am ever in Kansas City again I will stay at the Marriott.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank frilless
tnitsche, Guest Service Manager at Holiday Inn Aladdin, responded to this review, 4 December 2009
I am terribly sorry that you did not enjoy your stay with us. At the Aladdin, we are dedicated to satisfying each guest and I am disappointed to hear that you were less than pleased with the service you received. Please feel free to contact me directly, as I would like to discuss further specifics regarding your concerns with service and amenities.

Thank you for taking the time to write a review with valuable feedback. I truly enjoy hearing from our guests regarding their individual experience while staying at the Aladdin. It allows us the opportunity to celebrate our successes and address any challenges we may have to better serve you in the future.

Yours in Hospitality,