“Can you like a BBQ place without liking the sauce?”
Review of Q39

Q39
Ranked #1 of 1,424 Restaurants in Kansas City
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
“Can you like a BBQ place without liking the sauce?”
Reviewed 9 August 2014 via mobile

This place is too upscale to call a BBQ "joint"--people dress to come here and have servers. The service is good, and atmosphere pleasant. I started with the Onion Straws, which was great. Had the burnt end burger, which was good meat and well cooked. Unfortunately, it seemed rather bland--and the sauce didn't help! It's not that the sauce is bad, just inoffensive, which is the main reason I'm docking them one star. The baked beans tasted like grocery store brand--nothing special, either. Another TA called this Date Night BBQ--as long as your date is not a BBQ aficionado!

United States
“Left Hungry”
Reviewed 6 August 2014

Ok, KC is known for great BBQ. I don't need huge portions, and I get they are looking to refine BBQ, but I left hungry. Tiny portion of slaw, and I ordered the two selection meats. One little sausage and a little brisket. Tasted good, but needs to up those portions.Pricey

• Visited May 2014
kansas
“Food was an 11...service was a 2...”
Reviewed 6 August 2014

A Tuesday night and no tables to be had unless you had a reservation? Unheard of! What was so special about this place? So we sat at the bar, and had Ryan take care of us. Big problem here and it continued all meal long. Ryan was very busy. Too busy. He was not able to give any service at all. Not his fault, he was doing his best to get to every customer. It looked like he was doing so. Again not his fault, but, we got lousy service. We barely got more water because he was trying to serve everyone.

Anyways, we ordered a combo pick 2, with sausage and sliced brisket. Our sides were beans and fries. OMG…those beans were the best I have ever tasted! The fries were excellent. But the brisket and the sausage were out of this world. The sauce was fabulous! Our other plate was a No jackin around, which was a pulled pork sandwich. To die for! Awesome! Our other side was a white bean cassoulet, which was very bland and not editable. We had to stop a waitress and ask to take it back for some apple cole slaw. What she brought us was a small portion barely enough to fit on a fork. Big fail. Large fail.

We will definitely return, and we know what to have and what to pass on. Excellent food, but the service needs to improve. There are so many choices in the neighborhood who might work harder for our money.

• Visited August 2014
Kansas City, Missouri
“I'm picky.......this is the best!”
Reviewed 1 August 2014 via mobile

First let me say that I'm very picky about BBQ. Everyone has the best. However, Q39 very possibly does!! My server Ruth was there quick and had lots of information to share about the place! I ordered the wings as an appetizer as I had heard wonderful things about them. All stories are true.... Competition quality and cooked to perfection. Kudos as wings done well aren't easy to do. Next came the burnt end buger and again, outstanding. Please order this one no more than medium! They have a quality product that doesn't require charring to death. Finally Kansas City has a competition level BBQ restaurant. Can't wait to go back and try the smoked pork belly:)

Coralville, Iowa
“Good BBQ”
Reviewed 30 July 2014

I am pleasantly surprised by Q39. Opening a new BBQ joint in Kansas City is pretty gutsy but Q39 has pulled it off. I've been here for lunch and dinner and was happy both times.

The ribs are tasty and tender and I do recommend them. The slaw has apples...good but not my favorite. We also had an order of Q39's version of burnt ends. This is really sliced brisket not burnt ends...do not be fooled. However, it was very good.

Now lets talk sandwiches. First try was "No Jackin' Around"...pulled pork and pepper jack cheese. Very good and messy. The sauce is pretty good too.

My recommendation: Burnt End Burger. Bit of heaven. Beef patty grilled to order with Q39,s burnt ends (really sliced brisket). I'll go back just for this. Full bar with lots of quality draft beers, too.

Be warned: Service is good and friendly but a little slow. The place is loud when packed with people...make that very loud. There are no burnt ends here...everything they call burnt ends is really sliced brisket.

• Visited July 2014