“Pretty good 'Q”

Ranked #1 of 1,429 Restaurants in Kansas City
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 12 August 2014

My curiosity got the best of me when I read something to the effect that this place is the new king of the hill in KC BBQ. My hubby and I are tried and true OK Joe's fans, so that would be quite a coup. I got half rack of spareribs and the taste was very, very good - and they do fall off the bone. However, after taking a KCBS BBQ judging class I know that falling off the bone means over-cooked. I tried the white bean cassoulet, which was not to my liking but he approved. He got sliced brisket and pulled pork. Both were very, very good and the sauce was something different than I'm used to - maybe more vinegar? - but worked well with the pork. We ended up trying both apple slaw (just OK) and potato salad (not bad, a lot of celery). Overall, a worthy addition to the BBQ landscape but Joe's is still our favorite.

There are newer reviews for Q39

Reviewed 11 August 2014

The BBQ here is amazing. I read all the reviews and knew that I would have to try the burnt end burger. I wasn't surprised to find that it was amazing. One of the best burgers I have ever eaten. I also had to try the ribs so I ordered the rip appetizer. The ribs were very tasty, fell right off the bone. I would rank this ribs very close to the best ribs in Kc. Make sure to make reservations the line gets very long for a table. One minor disappointment was with the timing of drink and foods, the beer I ordered came halfway through my entree... But other than that this place is was great.

Reviewed 9 August 2014

We were vacationing in KC. I wanted quality BBQ that accommodated kids in a decent atmosphere, not a hole in the wall, and reasonably close to our downtown hotel. I looked on TripAdvisor and Yelp and found Q39. We were not disappointed.

I had the burnt ends sandwich and enjoyed it thoroughly. The BBQ beans were pretty good, though not the best I've had. The atmosphere in the restaurant was good. It's a quality place.

I've read other reviews that said portion sizes were small, and I would agree that they are small, though not egregiously so. My only other complaint is that the place is LOUD. Good for large groups, not so great with kids in tow or for a romantic night out.

But overall it's a solid BBQ joint, definitely worth a visit.

Reviewed 9 August 2014 via mobile

This place is too upscale to call a BBQ "joint"--people dress to come here and have servers. The service is good, and atmosphere pleasant. I started with the Onion Straws, which was great. Had the burnt end burger, which was good meat and well cooked. Unfortunately, it seemed rather bland--and the sauce didn't help! It's not that the sauce is bad, just inoffensive, which is the main reason I'm docking them one star. The baked beans tasted like grocery store brand--nothing special, either. Another TA called this Date Night BBQ--as long as your date is not a BBQ aficionado!

Reviewed 6 August 2014

Ok, KC is known for great BBQ. I don't need huge portions, and I get they are looking to refine BBQ, but I left hungry. Tiny portion of slaw, and I ordered the two selection meats. One little sausage and a little brisket. Tasted good, but needs to up those portions.Pricey