“Good restaurant in KC”
Review of Michael Smith

Michael Smith
Reserve with OpenTable
Michael Smith is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #111 of 1,506 Restaurants in Kansas City
Price range: US$25 - US$100
Cuisines: American
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 19th
Transit: Just outside on Main.
Reviewed 17 January 2013

I recently ate lunch at Michael Smith. I didn't know much about the place before I went there. The restaurant was about half full on a weekday during the lunch hour, which isn't a great sign for a restaurant in the business district. Nonetheless, the clientele was movers and shakers -- several KC leaders in the house. Service was impeccable. Food was very good. It wasn't the best thing I had ever eaten, but was what I expected for a "modern American fusion" or whatever the heck we are calling trendy restaurants these days. Portion sizes were just right. Biggest disappointment -- the dinner rolls! Like sandpaper. Prices are reasonable. A good choice for a business lunch in the downtown area.

Reviewed 22 December 2012

this was one of the 4 restaurants I visited in my business trip to Kansas City, MO. It got a overall 27 score from Zagat and I came with pretty high expectation. it was a Thursday evening and the whole restaurant was empty. we thought it was closed until we checked its next door twin restaurant. I had octopus as appetizer, Kansas strip steak and lemon chiffon as dessert. since i was in Kansas city, i had quite an expectation with steak but i have to say, the strip steak was the deal breaker. the meat was tough and not that flavorful. if it were not the octopus, i would have given it a 2 instead of a 3. the service was very good because we were the only group there that evening. but coming from nyc and having been to quite a number of 27 zagat rating restaurants here, i was a bit disappointed with the steak. the dessert was so so. probably i chose the wrong dish because my other two friends were pretty with theirs, both fish dishes. but i can only write about my experience and honestly, with this bad experience, i am not sure if i would give it a second chance when i am in town next time again.

Reviewed 21 December 2012

We went to Michael Smith's for a romantic Valentine's Day meal that we knew we would remember always. And we weren't mistaken. The service was excellent, the atmosphere exactly what you would want with a special someone. And the food was perfect. Inventive but not so strange that you were wondering about some foam concoction. Real food made beautiful by one of the best chefs in KC. Maybe even in the entire region!

Reviewed 18 December 2012

We liked the ambiance of this restaurant and chose it because we got a deal for a meal. My husband and I both ordered the KC strip. The sides were excellent but my steak was like jerky. Not the top of the like cut of meat that I would expect from paying full price for this type of fine dining. Won't go back.

Reviewed 11 December 2012

In this innovative restaurant everything is always fresh and delicious. The atmosphere is proper, but not pretentious. The staff is very knowledgeable about the menu. We have never, in the many times we have eaten there, had a meal which didn't please. It's our favorite, hands down.