“Michael Smith's - Gourmet but reasonably priced!”
Review of Michael Smith

Michael Smith
Reserve with OpenTable
Michael Smith is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #111 of 1,508 Restaurants in Kansas City
Price range: US$25 - US$100
Cuisines: American
Good for: Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 19th
Transit: Just outside on Main.
Reviewed 17 March 2013

We enjoyed a late lunch here so most of the tables had cleared out. The food was excellent; service good. Sits on a busy corner so lots to watch outside the windows. Within walking distance to both the downtown KC area and Crown Center. We will go back.

Reviewed 15 March 2013 via mobile

When Michael Smith opened up I avoided going as it was "the place," and frankly I'm beyond that!

So last weekend we used a purchased Groupon expecting it to be "ok but just ok."

My wife had the stripsteak and I had the pork roast, a meal I would not normally order out. The presentation was impressive and the taste, texture, sauces and temperature were outstanding.

The lobster bisque was ok but Costco ok-
If you've had their bisque.

But overall, including an excellent NZ sav blanc we will be back.

Reviewed 26 January 2013

Took advantage of Kansas City Restaurant Week to eat at Michael Smith. The decor of the restaurant is very modern and the chef is definitely on hand. We noticed him clearing tables, seating patrons, and visiting with diners. My wife and I enjoyed the pork tortellini, it was fantastic, while the main dishes (fish and pork roast) were both delicious. Our server was friendly, knowledgeable and non-assuming.

We are definitely happy to have a James Beard award winner as a chef in Kansas City. We look forward to returning and enjoying another nice meal or perhaps visiting "Extra Virgin" next door.

Reviewed 17 January 2013

I recently ate lunch at Michael Smith. I didn't know much about the place before I went there. The restaurant was about half full on a weekday during the lunch hour, which isn't a great sign for a restaurant in the business district. Nonetheless, the clientele was movers and shakers -- several KC leaders in the house. Service was impeccable. Food was very good. It wasn't the best thing I had ever eaten, but was what I expected for a "modern American fusion" or whatever the heck we are calling trendy restaurants these days. Portion sizes were just right. Biggest disappointment -- the dinner rolls! Like sandpaper. Prices are reasonable. A good choice for a business lunch in the downtown area.

Reviewed 22 December 2012

this was one of the 4 restaurants I visited in my business trip to Kansas City, MO. It got a overall 27 score from Zagat and I came with pretty high expectation. it was a Thursday evening and the whole restaurant was empty. we thought it was closed until we checked its next door twin restaurant. I had octopus as appetizer, Kansas strip steak and lemon chiffon as dessert. since i was in Kansas city, i had quite an expectation with steak but i have to say, the strip steak was the deal breaker. the meat was tough and not that flavorful. if it were not the octopus, i would have given it a 2 instead of a 3. the service was very good because we were the only group there that evening. but coming from nyc and having been to quite a number of 27 zagat rating restaurants here, i was a bit disappointed with the steak. the dessert was so so. probably i chose the wrong dish because my other two friends were pretty with theirs, both fish dishes. but i can only write about my experience and honestly, with this bad experience, i am not sure if i would give it a second chance when i am in town next time again.