“First Class Meal”
Review of Michael Smith

Michael Smith
Reserve with OpenTable
Michael Smith is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #104 of 1,519 Restaurants in Kansas City
Price range: US$25 - US$100
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 19th
Transit: Just outside on Main.
Reviewed 14 April 2013

We ate here on a Friday night with another couple. We had a variety of food from seafood to beef to chicken and it was all good. I had the Camp Lindo Chicken and it was excellent. My wife liked the red snapper. Our server had a nice pace to the meal and had us out in time for our show.

Reviewed 8 April 2013

They did a very good job accommodating a large group during the holiday season. We had several set courses that were sampled ahead of time. The bar was handy next door while they were getting our tables ready. Most agreed that we liked everything except that last course (duck). We enjoyed all being together in one room, great atmosphere.

Reviewed 17 March 2013

We enjoyed a late lunch here so most of the tables had cleared out. The food was excellent; service good. Sits on a busy corner so lots to watch outside the windows. Within walking distance to both the downtown KC area and Crown Center. We will go back.

Reviewed 15 March 2013 via mobile

When Michael Smith opened up I avoided going as it was "the place," and frankly I'm beyond that!

So last weekend we used a purchased Groupon expecting it to be "ok but just ok."

My wife had the stripsteak and I had the pork roast, a meal I would not normally order out. The presentation was impressive and the taste, texture, sauces and temperature were outstanding.

The lobster bisque was ok but Costco ok-
If you've had their bisque.

But overall, including an excellent NZ sav blanc we will be back.

Reviewed 26 January 2013

Took advantage of Kansas City Restaurant Week to eat at Michael Smith. The decor of the restaurant is very modern and the chef is definitely on hand. We noticed him clearing tables, seating patrons, and visiting with diners. My wife and I enjoyed the pork tortellini, it was fantastic, while the main dishes (fish and pork roast) were both delicious. Our server was friendly, knowledgeable and non-assuming.

We are definitely happy to have a James Beard award winner as a chef in Kansas City. We look forward to returning and enjoying another nice meal or perhaps visiting "Extra Virgin" next door.