“Don't stay here in the summer”

Adam's Mark Hotel & Conference Center
Ranked #75 of 108 Hotels in Kansas City
sikeston, Missouri, USA
“Don't stay here in the summer”
Reviewed 25 June 2012

This is our second year staying here for a National Conference. Our state books this hotel so we have stay here. For the second year in a row the rooms are like saunas. You can turn your air down as low as it will go and your room will still be about 80 degrees. I have talked to others staying here also and they say their room is the same way. If you are going to charge 120.00 per night you think they could supply descent air conditioning. I know how much they are making this week so, they could probably afford some updating. The beds are just ok. My bed is leaning to one side because the mattress is worn out. The waterpark is overpriced for what you get. Being in a hotel it should be included at what they are charging you. The staff is good but you can tell they have been told to lie about the air situation. Food is way overpriced at this hotel. Don't eat in the restaurant unless you want to pay 15 bucks for hamburger that is no better than McDonalds. Save yourself the headache and the money and stay at the Drury Inn across the street. Way better hotel for what you are paying for at the Holiday Inn. To sum it up this hotel gets an F!!!!!!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
, Manager at Adam's Mark Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, 5 July 2012
Thank you for sharing your experience with us. I do apologize that your room was not as cool as you wished. We have been experiencing temperatures in the tripple digits for the past couple of weeks and our AC units are trying to keep up with the temperatures outside. As for our restaurant prices we try and keep them affordable for families especially with our "Kids Eat Free" program. Hopefully you can visit us again when it is a little cooler outside.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (205)
Maryville, Missouri
Reviewed 25 June 2012

Hotel and staff were awesome for this event! There were probably 200 people checking in at 3pm Sunday June 10th for the concert and the staff did an excellent job!! Had some issues with nonhotel guests after the concert but they did an great job and kicked them off the property. Anytime you come to KC for a Chiefs/Royals game stay here!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
, Manager at Adam's Mark Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, 4 July 2012
Thank you very much for sharing your experience with us. We had a blast with our Kenny Chesney fans as everyone was so excited to be there and we fed off this excitement. It makes check in so much more fun and just an all around better experience when everyone is excited. Thank you again for staying with us and hopefully you will stay with us again.
Omaha, Nebraska
Reviewed 24 June 2012

The staff at this hotel was wonderful. Everyone we encountered was very nice and eager to help us. The rooms, however, were very small. I felt very crowded with two adults and two little girls in the room...and the bathroom was even worse. Hard for even one person to be in there...TINY! We booked this hotel thinking that the waterpark was included, and it was not. It was an extra $20 per person...which I think is very misleading on their advertisements. I will say we did enjoy the kids eat free for breakfast and the staff was very nice...hotel shuttle to the KC Royals game was great too...but I don't know that I would stay there again due to lack of space in the rooms, and kids clearly WANT to do the waterpark but with a family of 4 that is an extra $80! Yikes!!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
Dear Valued Guest, Thank you very much for sharing your experience with us. I am glad that you did enjoy your stay with us. I am sorry that you did not book the water park package that does include passes to the park that we do have available. Visiting our website cocokeykansascity.com is the best place to our inclusive packages that are more economical for families.
Usa, Tanzania
Reviewed 23 June 2012

This afternoon I attempted to make a reservation for the Motaku Convention being held yet again at this hotel/waterpark.
WHAT A NIGHTMARE! Worst experience booking a room ever! I called the 800 number to make the reservations as instructed on the Motaku website. I was then told I had to call the hotel directly, (in order to get the $89 "special rate" for the convention at this hotel, which I did. Then I was told that I have to talk to someone in sales to make the reservation (after my 5th phone call trying to get SOMEONE to help me). The person I needed to speak to was OUT of the office until Monday. Which I was instructed to call back then. I informed whoever I was speaking to that this was very inconvenient for me as I was heading out of town on Monday and had other priorities then. Still NO help. RIDICULOUS! Finally, I simply logged onto CHEAPHOTELS.COM and paid $100 per night for the room that they could have just booked themselves for me instead of causing all this inconvenience. I am VERY disappointed with this hotels reservation department.
We stayed here last year for this convention amid the rotten reviews it consistantly gets on here. It wasn't a bad stay. But I did call ahead and talk to someone about my concerns about what I read on the internet. So I think they were on the watch for us, and did what they could to make our stay pleasant. I travel for business a lot. (this happens to be a once a year mother/daughter trip) And I have NEVER had such a bad experience booking a room! This was completely a mess.
Poor customer service, in an age where the economy is not good. Be happy to get the business. Shame on you for making it so hard.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
Thank you for sharing your experience regarding making your reservations with us. I do apologize for the problems that you experienced but do feel that this is an isolated experience as we have several people who have made reservations for the Motaku convention without any problems. We had a lot of fun with the people last year and look forward to having you back with us again this year.

Travellers are raving about these Kansas City hotels

Lincoln, Nebraska
Reviewed 19 June 2012

Stayed here for one night. Price-line picked it for me and got a rate for $65 bucks on a Wednesday night. Lobby a bit busy and noisy with the nature of so many kids here...understandably I think. They are reconstructing part of the outside currently but, I didn't think it was a huge deal.

Food was good in the restaurant. I used a sitting area in their market store to conduct a series of interviews. The bed was nice, room was nicely appointed. I had no noise issues. I would stay again.

No free breakfast, bu the buffet was good.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
, Manager at Adam's Mark Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, 29 June 2012
Thank you for sharing your experience with us. We are delighted that you enjoyed your experience her with us and extatic that you received such a great rate! We are currently doing some remodeling to the exterior of our building and very soon, we will have a new entrance. Hopefully the next time that you stay with us you will be please.
Orangeville, Canada
Reviewed 19 June 2012

Stayed here for one night in June of 2012. Location is excellent if you are going to a Royals or Chiefs game - it is right across I-70 from the stadiums. We were here for a wedding reception - banquet facilities were good. Ballroom was nice, service great.

The rooms however are showing their age. The hotel itself must be over 35 years old. Rooms have been updated. However the bathrooms are small and show the age of the hotel. The lobby area is small and busy. As there is a waterpark in the hotel, families with kids are all over the place. Had breakfast in the hotel restaurant - standard buffet breakfast was adequate.

At $120 per night, I found this hotel priced high for what it is...a boring suburban hotel beside an Interstate...yawn!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
Thank you for sharing your comments with us. I am glad that you enjoyed our convenient location for the Royals & Chief's game and that you had experienced great service at the wedding you attended. Our property has been here since the 70's and we have done a lot of remodeling and recently added a water park and because of the park we are a kid friendly hotel. Thank You.
Denton, Texas
Reviewed 15 June 2012

I stayed here for 5 days/6 nights while at a convention (also at the hotel). Convention area and staff were okay-to-good. But the rooms in this hotel are divided into two separate areas: Floors 5-15 are in the West tower. Floors 1-3 are below the convention rooms in the East dungeon. Those lucky people staying in the West tower at least had their rooms cleaned each day and good temperatures in the rooms. Those of us unlucky enough to be on Floor 1 had problems EVERY DAY with hotel staff: rooms not cleaned some days; only the bathrooms cleaned but not the rest of the room; no toilet paper (!), no Kleenex (!), no pickup of room service trays/spoiled food (!), loud noises from the indoor pool at night, and a beautiful view out the window of the service ramp, complete with staff walking past the windows at 6:00am every day and trucks backing up the ramp at the same time.... And a complete meltdown at the only restaurant during one lunch when only half of the tables were occupied yet they couldn't seem to get our food out to us after a wait of at least 45 minutes (we ordered nachos and sandwiches - how hard is that?). It was so bad the manager went down to the waterpark and got us hambergers and french fries after we left after an hour's wait. The front staff also lectured one of us who were pretty hot about not having ANY cleaning staff cleaning the room for 3 full days; saying we shouldn't be so angry with families around. They didn't offer to fix anything or refund anything off our bills. Poor, poor staff. Not enough staff to handle this large a hotel. Poorly trained staff. If the cleaning staff had not finished all their rooms by 5:00, they just LEFT. I would never stay in this hotel ever again.

Room Tip: Don't let them put you in the DUNGEON rooms on floors 1-3. Poor to NO cleaning of the rooms for...
1 Thank ArtGlassEnsembles
Victoria D, Manager at Adam's Mark Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this review, 17 June 2012
Thank you for sharing your experience with us. I do apologize for not receiving stayover service during your time with us. You are correct we do have two sections of our hotel and the east side of our hotel where you stayed is the more quite part of our hotel as it has less traffic in it. We did notice that our 'Do not Disturb" signs were utilized by multiple guests in our east wing during the time that you stayed with us and then called for service later into the evening and unfortunately we do not have full housekeeping services that late in the day. Your information that you shared with us is valuable and it will be shared with our management staff so that we can better serve our guests. Hopefully you enjoyed your workshop.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kansas City
Best Western Truman Inn
Best Western Truman Inn
#5 of 18 in Independence
Best Western Plus Seville Plaza Hotel

Been to Adam's Mark Hotel & Conference Center? Share your experiences!