“Great Stay”

Adam's Mark Hotel & Conference Center
Ranked #81 of 111 Hotels in Kansas City
Reviewed 10 January 2013

We had a great time staying at this location. The waterpark was super fun for the family. The kids were well entertained which is always relaxing for the adults. The place was very clean and the staff was very helpful and friendly. We will be returning.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
Victoria D, Manager at Adam's Mark Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded 11 January 2013

Thank you very much for sharing your experience with us on TripAdvisor. It is great to hear that you and your family enjoyed your stay with us. We will be looking forward to your future stays with us. Thanks Again!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,059)

Reviewed 9 January 2013

I haven't stayed at a Holiday Inn in a couple years due to a bad experience at a location in Florida. Anyway, I decided to give it another try over New Year's Eve with my son and his pal. I had heard this place has a nice waterpark and is very comfy from a business partner who took his family there a couple months back. Naturally, I figured he was just

We've stayed at Great Wolf Lodge, a Schlitterbahn in Texas and various other family friendly places over the years. Of all those places, this Holiday Inn has moved to the very top of my list of fave places to stay. There are a few very simple criteria to make it to the top of my list:

-Must be clean. Not just 'carpet not dirty' clean, but everything from elevators to the parking lot.
-Staff must be nice
-Must feel safe
-Must have comfy beds and modern rooms (no 70's drapes and gold leaf wallpaper in the bathroom) :-)

That's really it. Not a complicated recipe for success, but oddly enough, it's more difficult to find a place that meets all four. This Holiday Inn did not only met all four, they exceeded all my expectations-and did so with a bang. Those other locations, while nice in certain areas (especailly Schlitterbahn in Texas), the value isn't near the value as this Holiday Inn. Places like Great Wolf Lodge try to nickle and dime you for every little thing. (Like $6 for a bottle of water?!?! That's worse than a movie theater!!). By the time you're done with your trip, you spend more on the ameneties than you do the room. Not so at this hotel.

The details:

We arrived around 5 on New Years Eve. It was snowing, cold, and kind of miserable outside. As soon as we walked in, my son said, 'Look, Dad! They have hot chocolate for free!' Yep. Sure enough, there was a nice young man handing out hot chocolate to whomever needed a warm-up. My son gladly took a cup and immediately asked the man, 'Can I have marshmallows?' While they didn't have marshmallows, the man replied with, 'That's a great idea. We have whipped cream, but let me see if I can find you some marshmallows.' Sure enough about two minutes later, he came back with a nice supply of marshmallows. Verrrrry solid.

The check-in process was snappy. There were a couple folks in front of us, but one of the ladies at the front desk (I'm thinking her name was Victoria, Moria, or something similar?) made eye contact and let us know someone would be with us in just a minute. THAT was solid. Something as simple as acknowledging us and letting us know we'd be taken care of soon. This lady also made sure to say hello to us each time we saw her - and once even engaged the boys and wanted to make sure they were taken care of and having a good time.

Once we got to the counter, I was surprised to find the rate that I booked was not honored. In fact, the rate I received from the hotel was five bucks cheaper than what I booked online. Even though the rate was clearly marked on the reservation page I handed the staff person, they still gave me the discounted rate. Wow.

We arrived at our room and found it to be very clean. No funky smells, no ratty furniture or old bedspreads. This room had a feel of a much much more expensive location such as a four star hotel in DC that I had stayed at the month before. Did I mention it was so clean?!?!

The kids were so excited to have a nice TV and a place to sit- a small work area with a couple chairs was perfect for their iPad and Nintendo DS playing.

Oh!!! They also have plenty of power outlets near the beds!!!! If you have a cell phone and laptop, you will know EXCATLY why I'm excited about this. So often I end up pulling a table away from a wall to find an outlet somewhat close to the bed. This was awesome.

The waterpark was great. The lifeguards were friendly- and most of them said hello. Seriously, do you know how rare it is to go nearly anyplace these days and have the staff just look at you when you walk by? Every single time we walked by a lifeguard, maintenance person, restaurant staff, etc., they smiled and said hello. Anyway, the waterpark was the perfect size- not too expansive where you could lose track of your kids, but big enough to offer a great variety of activities for the kids. I can't tell you how many times those boys tried to navigate the toadstools in an attempt to make it across before falling off into the water, ala the gameshow, Wipeout.

We did hit the on-site restaurant. Three times. This, despite having a number of restaurants within a mile or so. The first time we went, I truly had to ask the server if the prices were right. Typically you have to donate a kidney to afford to buy a burger and fries in a hotel. All three of us (a dad and two 9 year-olds) ate each time for under $15. Crazy.

The only thing I had an issue with was the kids yelling in the traditional pool area. The pool (separate from the waterpark) is nice sized and all, but the walls and ceiling are concrete. We happened to be in there with about five pre-teenage girls.... and they were very excited. I still hear those screams. :-) While this isn't a bad issue with the property, I'm including it so you are aware that if you do check out the pool, it's kinda noisy.

In short, we could have stayed anywhere for New Years Eve. We picked the Holiday Inn by the stadiums. This was by far the best hotel choice I've made in a very, very long time. We will DEFINITELY go back- maybe even just to get away for a weekend or maybe after a game sometime in the spring/summer months.

Bravo to everyone at this location. You have restored my faith in Holiday Inn, and also that service industry employees can be rock stars.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the west side - gives you an awesome view of the two pro sports stadiums.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family

Thank you very much for sharing your experience with TripAdvisor. It is great to hear that you and your boys had such a great stay with us and the details of your stay that you provided will be great for future patrons to view. We had a great time on New Years Eve here and we were so worried as the weather was horrible but you are correct the "hot chocolate" did warm people up quite nicely. I am so glad that you and your family chose our property to bring in the New Year. I do hope that you are able to visit us again in the future.

Reviewed 26 December 2012

My husband has terminal Asophagus Cancer and our wish/struggle these last 3 months is that Jeff makes it one more Christmas and that his 3 sons, who are spread out from state to state could all be under one roof...one last time. Well, we were able to get them all here and we checked into the Holiday Inn Water Park Hotel here in Kansas City and WOW!! The staff there made our semi hectic event SO MUCH FUN AND RELAXING!! We used to work on the Railroad and all we stayed in were motel/hotels and this has got to be the BEST EXPERIENCE yet!! Two very special staff members there named Breonika in the mid shift and Bill on the graveyard shift bent over backwards on a couple different issues we were having to make it...not an issue any longer. I WANT TO THANK THOSE TWO for making our last Christmas with our Jeff a VERY memerable and relaxing experience!!! Thank you again, Mindy and Jeff Jindra-Smith rooms 708 & 710-dates 12/24/12 thru 12/26/12.

Room Tip: They are all good rooms....no tips needed, just check in!
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
Victoria D, Manager at Adam's Mark Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded 28 December 2012

Thank you very much for your nice comments on Trip Advisor. It was our pleasure having you stay with us. We know that this is a difficult time for you and your family and we are glad that we were able to bring some enjoyment to you all. We will keep you in our prayers.

Reviewed 18 December 2012

I had a conference to attend and my daughter wanted to do a college visit to The Kansas City Art Institute. My husband drove us and so we had to bring our new puppy. My husband and I were planning to leave our puppy in the car if we could not take her with us on the campus tour. The Assistant General Manager and her staff did not know we had this dilemma, but out of kindness and friendliness, offered to keep our puppy if needed. I could not believe it!! I shared our dilemma, and sure enough they kept our puppy for almost 2 hours. I would never have expected such service. Furthermore, the staff were all so kind, friendly and helpful and the hotel ia beautiful!! My daughter loved the college, we loved the hotel, and in the future plan to stay there anytime we are in Kansas City.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business
Victoria D, Manager at Adam's Mark Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded 22 December 2012

Thank you Shelly for your review on Trip Advisor. It was a pleasure meeting you and your family and Sage as she was truly a delight to have for such a short time. The entire staff loved her. I am glad that you enjoyed your visit with us and do hope that you decided on a great college for your daughter. Thank you again for letting Sage brighten up our day!

Reviewed 14 December 2012

I will admit when we pulled up to the property I was very hesitant. We usually stay at higher-end brands and the outside of the property and the surronding neighborhood concerned me. However, I was pleasantly surprised when we entered the hotel. It was clean, the rooms were large and the staff was extremely friendly. We were intown to catch a ballgame and the hotel offered a free shuuttle to and from the game. The location was so conveinet we opted to just walk to Kauffman Field instead. We did not have a chance to enjoy the Waterpark as planned, but our childen did spend a lot of time in the arcade room and outdoor pool.

The only dissappoint if you would call it that was they did not have 24/7 room service. We have been accustomed to this with our travels and when we arrived at the hotel after a 10 hour drive the restuarants were closed. But there are a few nearby food outlets.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
Victoria D, Manager at Adam's Mark Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded 15 December 2012

Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your stay with us on Trip Advisor. It is great to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. Even though our hotel has been here since the 70's we have made several improvements to the property. I do apologize that room service is not 24 hours. I do hope that you are able to stay with us again.

Reviewed 9 December 2012

The lounge staff member named Natalie Sears was over and beyond an excellent server. Because of Natalie, we chose to stay in instead of going out to the local bar and grill. On our second night, Natalie inquired on our enjoyment of activies we'd mentioned the night before for which she had provided directions for.

• Stayed: December 2012
Victoria D, Manager at Adam's Mark Hotel & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded 11 December 2012

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us at Trip Advisor. Natalie is an asset to our team and really enjoys her customers. She really enjoys getting to know the guests and takes time with them and it really shows in your comments. I have shared them with her manager and with her. Thank you again!!

Reviewed 8 December 2012

Broken security lock when we arrived. I requested a different room but was told the engineers would fix it instead. The room was also a balmy 80-90 degrees as there was a stuck valve in the unit. The engineers did fix both items as promptly as possible but we had to sit and wait for them to finish before we could really sit back and relax. The blanket was stained and the refrigerator in the room did not work. Breakfast was mediocre, not much selection on the buffet. On the plus side, the shuttle to the Chiefs game was great and the driver was very friendly. The engineers who came to fix things in our room were also very friendly and prompt.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Trip Advisor as we do appreciate your feedback. I do apologize for the items that were not functioning in your room and it is great to hear that the staff responded promptly to your needs. It is great to hear that you enjoyed your complimentary ride to the stadium for the game. Daniel loves shuttling to all of the events at the Royals and Chief's stadium. Hopefully you will come back and stay with us again soon!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Kansas City
3 mi away
Best Western Truman Inn
Best Western Truman Inn
#6 of 18 in Independence

Been to Adam's Mark Hotel & Conference Center? Share your experiences!