“Our favorite "STAYcation"”

Southmoreland on the Plaza
Ranked #3 of 11 Kansas City B&B and Inns
Reviewed 9 April 2012

My wife & I live in Kansas City, but we love visiting the Southmoreland when we want a quick getaway, or to celebrate a special occasion. We have visited many times, and will be visiting again this spring for our anniversary. The cozy B&B is nestled near the Plaza (KC's exclusive shopping and dining district), but its location still feels private, and perhaps even "woodsy" -- due to the treetop views from the upper floor balconies. The place has a distinctly New England charm about it. The historic home is divided into beautifully themed rooms, each with its own unique character, so we've made it a bit of a game to stay in a different room each time we visit.

We always check in, then take the short walk to the Plaza for shopping and dinner, and then return to sip the provided cream sherry while reading out on the private balcony. It is an escape we both love, and we've never failed to enjoy our special reprieve from the hustle and bustle of our daily lives. We love the expertly prepared breakfast, and always leave feeling pampered and rejuvenated. If you are visiting Kansas City, or even if you live here (!), you will love the Southmoreland.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 13 March 2012

Southmoreland is beautifully decorated and appointed (sheets are IRONED daily!). The owners are very friendly, anticipate your every need, and offer wonderful suggestions for enjoying the area. Breakfast and snacks were delicious (best cinnamon buns ever!). We highly recommend a stay here - it's one of our favorite B&Bs! You'll be so pleased!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Jan H
Reviewed 13 March 2012

What an incredible time at Southmoreland! Nancy and Mark are UNBELIEVEABLE!!! Greeted with fresh bean and crab dip and wine as we get a tour of the majestic home! Accomodations were wonderful and I felt completely at home! Nothing was left undone. Mark, OMGsh that breakfast beats MOST upscale restaurants in the city! I have already recommended to all my friends to make their getaway to Southmoreland on the Plaza!!! We cannot wait to go back!!! I'm thinking THE only place we'll stay in KC from now on!! So if this was for my birthday, I wonder what next occassion I could do this again?!

Room Tip: Each room is unique...look online to choose!! Some cozier than others, but it was my first experienc...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 12 March 2012

We have stayed at Southmoreland on the Plaza four times during the Big 12 basketball tournament. We have actually gotten to know some of the guests who also stay there repeatedly. The facility is an incredibly charming building. The common areas are very comfortable and appealing to view.
It is an old house, so there is some noise. If you have trouble sleeping, you definitely should bring ear plugs. There also are no individual temperature controls in the rooms, but I believe this is typical for a bed and breakfast.
The breakfast is incredible. We always eat at good restaurants in KC, but on the last trip, my favorite meals were the breakfasts at Southmoreland. Mark is a very talented chef. I would like to see what he does with an evening meal paired with wine!
Over the years, Mark and Nancy have provided us with some really excellent suggestions on local restaurants.
The location of the inn is really outstanding. If you enjoy walking, this is definitely the place to stay. The inn is surrounded by incredibly beautiful old neighborhoods, the Plaza shopping area, the Nelson Atkins Museum, wonderful parks and restaurants.
We highly recommend the inn and can't wait to return!

Room Tip: The lower priced rooms are a bit small, so if you want to stay in your room, get one of the larger r...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 March 2012

Very snooty to me on phone and charged a rediculous cancellation fee for several days notice. I travel the world and no one charges $95 to not stay there. There loss I was having lots of my out of town guest stay there.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Willy198444535
Reviewed 20 February 2012

Went to celebrate valentines day. Wonderful location, right by the plaza. The breakfast and food they served was superb! The only downfall we had was we stayed in The William Rockhill Nelson room and the bed was incredibly squeaky!!!! Comfortable- but if you rolled over the whole room was filled with squeaks!!!! Other then that it was great, but would definatly recommend a different room!

• Stayed: February 2012
Reviewed 31 January 2012

Owner of B&B were just delightful, warm and inviting. Made us feel right at home. We had been walking quite a bit that day and asked to check in early. Checked in at 3 pm, and owner showed us the charming sun room, reading room, complete with tv and fireplace. Fresh chocolate chip cookies, hot chocolate tea or coffee in the evening. I requested a gluten free breakfast and owner was very accommodating. Will definitely come again.

Room Tip: Check out the room with the Jacuzzi tub!
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple