“Very Disappointed, Twice”

Ranked #24 of 109 Hotels in Kansas City
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Very Disappointed, Twice”
Reviewed 30 October 2013

I have booked here twice and been disappointed both times. The first time I stayed I was given a room that had not been cleaned. I was given another room, but was overall not impressed with the quality and service at the hotel.

I decided to book again and give the Sheraton a second chance and had an AWFUL experience. I had called earlier in the day to remind the hotel that I needed late check-in (it was also noted on my reservation) and was assured it wouldn't be a problem. The person on the phone asked for my name, but rushed me off the line, so I am sure they did not enter anything into the system. When I arrived, I was told there were no rooms available even though I had a reservation. The lady at the front desk had never had this issue before and was not sure exactly how to go about finding me a room at an alternate hotel. It took about 10 minutes to get in contact with her manager just to start the process. She seemed very flustered and unorganized, and although she did apologize for the inconvenience, I did not feel like I was getting the type of customer service I would expect from this type of hotel when they made a mistake. I was first told to go over to the Hampton and they should have a room. I asked her to call and confirm since I didn't want to walk over just to find out it was booked. I am glad I did since they were sold-out as well. Overall, it took over 30 minutes total to find me a hotel room. At first, it was only going to be for the first night of my stay and I would have to move back to the Sheraton, but thankfully she allowed me to have the alternate hotel for both nights (the only positive in this whole mess).

After reading reviews, the issues with dirty rooms and overbooking are re-occurring issues at the Sheraton. Save yourself the hassle and book somewhere else!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Ted F, General Manager at Sheraton Suites Country Club Plaza, responded to this review, 1 November 2013
Thank you for staying at the Sheraton Suites in Kansas City and sending a review to TripAdvisor in regards to your stay. Please accept my apologies for not having a room for you when you arrived at the hotel. Unfortunately, on your arrival day we had a few rooms that experienced major plumbing issues and could not be used by guests. I am glad we found you hotel accomodations for the night and that we paid for your stay at the hotel for two nights due to your inconvenience.

We appreciate you choosing our hotel for your travel plans to Kansas City and hope to have you return on a future trip to our area. If I can ever be of assistance to you please do not hesitate to contact me.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (132)
new york
Reviewed 22 October 2013

What can I say.....having king size bed was awesome and KC was nice-n-quiet....the bed was immaculate w/4 huge pillows and doors that shut off rest of suite. Bathroom was clean and water pressure was OK.....hot water immediate, really nice-n-hot....however furniture had some dings and some rug stains.... showing its age...I suppose most guests are slobs. Staff was coureous and a big plus for me complimentary starbucks coffee piping hot in lobby...faily priced ....good location at country club plaza.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Ted F, General Manager at Sheraton Suites Country Club Plaza, responded to this review, 23 October 2013
Thanks for staying at the Sheraton Suites in Kansas City and sending comments to tripadvisor on your recent stay at the hotel. I am glad you had an excellent stay at the hotel and we exceeded your expectations. The hotel has a great location on the Country Club Plaza and the hotel staff do a great job of taking care of our guests. We appreciate your business and hope to see you again when you travel to Kansas City.
Missouri
Reviewed 21 October 2013

Yes, indeed, these are wonderful beds, good linen and great mattresses. I didn't see any major problems with upkeep but I got upgraded unexpectedly to the club floor, so maybe things are done there first. And yes, the suites are small for suites, but mostly well-designed, although the miniscule bathroom was New York City-sized. Pokey, pokey wi-fi at all hours of the day and night, alas. But the fridge in the room actually kept things cold, something that seems to be the exception rather than the rule these days.

I do wish they'd put in a full or 3/4-length mirror somewhere in the rooms, or at least at the elevator; they surely get a lot of business travelers and it's nice to be able to do a full-body check. And I was surprised at only one phone in the room - by the bed, not at the desk - but I suppose with cell phones these days, that's becoming the norm. And I cerainly didn't see a sign that's visible from 47th Street, the primary street at their intersection.

Everyone, absolutely everyone, was pleasant, outgoing without being overwhelming, and helpful. This is the best hotel staff I've seen in years and years, including at 5-star places. My quibbles are minor ones and I'd very happily stay again.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
Thanks for staying at the Sheraton Suites in Kansas City and sending your comments to tripadvisor. I was glad to read you had a very nice stay at the hotel and that the hotel staff provided service that exceeded your expectations. We have a great hotel in a great location on the Country Club Plaza and I hope to see you again on a future visit to Kansas City.
San Ramon, California
Reviewed 20 October 2013

I found this Hotel to be in an ideal location for walking around the Plaza. The room was spacious and clean. The staff was very friendly and helpful. I did not give it a 5 due to some paint needs on the woodwork. Definitely could use an update.

Room Tip: If traveling on the Holidays ask for a Plaza view room. If not the Holidays, the rooms on the back a...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Ted F, General Manager at Sheraton Suites Country Club Plaza, responded to this review, 21 October 2013
Thanks for staying at the Sheraton Suites hotel in Kansas City and sending tripadvisor comments on your recent stay. I was glad to read you had a nice stay at the hotel and our staff were friendly and helpful. We have a great staff and they are always willing to help our guests. Our location in the Kansas City Plaza area is also fantastic and I am glad you were able to enjoy the plaza shops and restaurants. We appreciate your business and look forward to your return.
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed 18 October 2013 via mobile

Excellent location but as many have stated, needs updating, looks like management comments on most of these reviews and it will be updated the first quarter of 2014. It has a nice bar to meet up with friends and family while traveling. WiFi is free for one device only. If you are traveling with another person only one of you can use the Wifi. House keeping and Valet service are weak, missing shampoo in room and waited for help with bags, none came so we hauled it in ourselves. Overall, average Hotel.

Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Thank you for staying at the Sheraton Suites hotel in Kansas City and sending comments to Tripadvisor on your recent stay. I do apologize for the housekeeping issues you experienced during your stay. I will review these with the houskeeping department so they can be corrected. I was glad to read your overall stay was pleasant. We do offer free wifi for one device in the room. For a nominal fee you can get upgraded wifi service for multiple devices in your room. We appreciate your business and hope to see you again on a future visit to the Kansas City area.
Seattle
Reviewed 9 October 2013

I stayed here a couple nights on business. The rooms are suites, but small suites, a little cramped for suites, but still nice rooms. The bed was fantastic and the sheets are really high thread count. A number of little things are starting to show their age: grout in the shower, plumbing fixtures, and the central air made more noise than it should. Microwave, refer, and coffee maker (with Starbucks coffee) were handy. The restaurant breakfast is worth mentioning. The buffet looked good but I went for the menu. It was good and the service was great - attentive and fast. I might go back.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Ted F, General Manager at Sheraton Suites Country Club Plaza, responded to this review, 10 October 2013
Thanks for sending comments about your recent stay to Trip Advisor. It sounds like you had a very nice experience at our hotel. I do apologize for the few items you experienced during your stay. We have a great hotel and our location in the plaza area can't be beat. We appreciate your business and look forward to seeing you again.
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 8 October 2013

We have stayed here several times, its a great, convenient location to the Plaza and getting around the city. That being said, this hotel needs to be thoroughly cleaned and the rooms updated. It is grimey. We had two rooms, and on this last visit, we checked into a room that had just been checked over by the housekeeping supervisor as he was walking out of our room, and it was still dirty. We asked for the visible food on the floor to be re-vacuumed and the bathroom to be re-cleaned. The phone and lamp were disgusting. Our other room across the hall had a leak behind the toilet for three days, and they just kept bringing towels to leave on the floor in back to soak it up. The hotel was busy, but we felt the valet service was poorly staffed, the club lounge is dirty,cramped, and not managed, and whoever was in charge of guest services during our visit was not available to answer the phone, ever. There are several great service oriented employees we encountered, but the hotel is lacking overall management and customer service and care. They are missing the details. We will choose other properties when we come back to town. Sad.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Thanks for sending your comments to Trip Advisor in regards to your recent stay at the Sheraton Suites in Kansas City. I do apologize for the issues you encountered during your stay. We definately do not want our guests to experience rooms that are not clean or have items that do not work properly in the room. I will address both of these areas and have them corrected. I do understand that some of the rooms are showing a little wear. The hotel will be undergoing a complete refresh during the first quarter of 2014 so you should be able to experience a new refreshed room on a future visit to the hotel. We appreciate your business and hope to see you again.

Travellers are raving about these Kansas City hotels