“Staff is Excellent”

Ranked #21 of 109 Hotels in Kansas City
Wichita, Kansas
“Staff is Excellent”
Reviewed 28 December 2013

We spent Christmas in Kansas City, staying in the Sheraton Suites Country Club Plaza. Every staff member we encountered from the front desk manager Debbie to the restaurant manager Natalie were excellent. The hotel needs renovation -- we had a sewer backup a few floors down that left a nasty odor in the hallways and the air conditioning unit for the next building was nagging. All-in-all our stay was very nice. Also, the Sheraton Plaza takes pets but it's quite a walk to a dog-friendly area near the hotel in the cold.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the Plaza but check out the A/C noise.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Ted F, General Manager at Sheraton Suites Country Club Plaza, responded to this review, 30 December 2013
Thanks for staying at the Sheraton Suites on the Country Club Plaza for your Christmas holiday. I was glad to read you had a great stay at the hotel. I do apologize for the issue with the sewer smell. Fortunately, we got the problem repaired and cleaned up pretty quickly. We appreciate your business and comments. We hope to have you stay with us again on a future visit to the KC Plaza area.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (134)
Kansas City, Kansas
Reviewed 27 December 2013

Great location for shopping & restaurants on the Plaza! You can easily walk to almost anywhere. We were spending the night as part of our anniversary celebration. The late checkout time (noon) is also a plus.

Room Tip: Since it was Christmas time we paid extra to get a Plaza Lights View. I don't think the view was...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thanks for staying at the Sheraton Suites in Kansas City for your anniversary celebration. I was glad to read you had an excellent experience at the hotel and enjoyed the Country Club Plaza Area. We appreciate your business and hope to have you stay with us again.
Overland Park, Kansas
Reviewed 26 December 2013

For six years family/friends have spent the night on the Plaza with us over the holidays to enjoy the lights. First time at the Sheraton, last time anywhere else. Everything about our stay was perfect!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Ted F, General Manager at Sheraton Suites Country Club Plaza, responded to this review, 27 December 2013
Thanks for staying at the Sheraton Suites for your annual family gathering to view the Country Club Plaza lights. I was glad to read you had a great experience at our hotel. The Country Club Plaza area at the holiday's is a great place to gather with family and friends. Our hotel offers a great location and the staff are second to none when it comes to providing a great experience for our guests. We appreciate your business and look forward to hosting you again next year!
Manhattan, Kansas
Reviewed 26 December 2013

My wife and I stayed in room 1201 on Christmas eve. I agree with many of the comments that proceed mine in that the room shows wear and tear and I noticed that there were some cleaning issues with the walls in the bathroom. The room didn't have bath towels provided, only face towels, and had only one small rack that wouldn't have held bath towels, anyway. That was unusual. But when I called the front desk for the towels they came up quickly. I, also, found the staff to be polite and responsive. But, in reality this hotel could be so much nicer than it is The location is prime, but the owners should improve on the quality of the hotel. Management should check the house keeping closer and ensure that the rooms are cleaner and better maintained. I would have rated this hotel a 3, but the staff and the location bumped it up to a weak 4. Kudos to the staff. Also don't be suckered into the happy hour at the small bar downstairs. The domestic beers, Miller Light etc., were $5.00 each during happy hour. I don't know what they were during non-happy hours. But, I found local bars to be much cheaper. Bottom line is if I really wanted the Plaza experience again, I would probably stay there again and get a different room. But, the next time I'm in K.C. I'll be looking elsewhere.

Room Tip: We paid the extra price and got the "room with a view". Room 1201, which is on the south...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank David E
Thanks for staying at the Sheraton Suites on the Country Club Plaza and sending your feedback to Tripadvisor on your stay. I was glad to read the hotel staff did a good job of providing great service to you during your stay. We do have a great location on the Country Club Plaza and I am glad you choose to stay with us. The hotel is scheduled to receive a complete refresh in 2014 which will make the hotel guest rooms more modern and fresh looking. We appreciate your business and look forward to you returning to our hotel.
Washington DC
Reviewed 20 December 2013 via mobile

I stayed there for almost a week this month. It was my second stay there in 2 years. The location on Country Club Plaza is perfect and the commute into downtown is easy, even during rush hour.

Now the details: for location and the staff, this would easily be a 4.5 rating. The staff across the board was friendly, helpful and engaged. Even every maid said good morning. They have free Starbucks coffee in the lobby! The bell captain was great and arranged transportation to the Nelson-Atkins Museum when I had free time (roads were icy).

The public areas are clean and attractive. They also have computer access.

Now why I only give them 3-3.5: the room. The bed looked new, had wonderful high thread count linen, and was very comfortable. But the sofa in the living room had sofa cushions that were separating at the seams from wear and age. The coffee and end tables looked worn and the carpet had seen better days.

The shower head had misdirected streams of water and a semi-sloppy caulking job (room 900 if they'd like to know).

The heat was a bit off and the windows at some point will need to be replaced (in their defense, it was 16 degrees when I was there).

The TV in the living room didn't have local stations for the first 2 nights. But both TVs are large flat screens.

I'd happily stay again, even with the flaws. With a little work on their physical plant, I'm sure this could easily be a 4.5 hotel. I think Sheraton is doing large scale rennos in many of their hotels so this could be on the list.

Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Ted F, General Manager at Sheraton Suites Country Club Plaza, responded to this review, 23 December 2013
Thanks for staying at the Sheraton Suites Hotel on the Country Club Plaza in Kansas City. It was good to read you had a very good stay at the hotel and the staff were friendly and accomodating to your needs. The hotel is planning on a complete refresh of the rooms in 2014 to address some of the areas showing some age. This will be exciting for both the staff and our guests. We appreciate your business and hope to see you again on a future visit to Kansas City.
St Louis
Reviewed 19 November 2013

Stayed here with my husband. The location is great. We indulged ourselves and stayed on the Club Floor. Arrived too late for Happy Hour. We did take advantage of the free continental breakfast the next morning served by the most charming gentleman. The breakfast was typical of one you would find at any budget hotel. Actually I've had better at said budget hotels. With a restaurant on the premises I expected better. The rooms on the Club Floor are no better than any other room on any other floor. All are suites. Save your money. Stay in a regular room here and spend the money you save at one of the restaurants on the Plaza. A luxury hotel on the Country Club Plaza, Club Floor and all we got was 1 complimentary bottle of water and a breakfast we couldn't eat. We were charged for parking. Okay. It's a city. Space is limited. But no free Wi-Fi? Seriously?

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Ted F, General Manager at Sheraton Suites Country Club Plaza, responded to this review, 28 November 2013
Thanks for staying at the Sheraton Suites Hotel in Kansas City. We appreciate the feedback you sent to Trip Advisor. I was glad to read your overall stay at the hotel was very good. I do apologize for the few issues you encountered at the hotel. Our club floor rooms are the same suites as the regular rooms in the hotel but with a purchase of the club floor you get access to the Sheraton club lounge which provides complimentary hot breakfast, evening appetizers, and beverages. The overall value of the complimentary items is very good for the $20.00 upgrade charge. We also do provide free wireless internet access so I apologize that you were not given this information. We appreciate your business and hope to see you again on a future visit to Kansas City.
San Diego, California
Reviewed 18 November 2013

We stopped over on a cross-country-trip and found the hotel very convenient, good parking, great front office staff and nice rooms. The location is nice as it is near the Plaza shopping/restaurant area. The best BBQ restaurant in the world (Oklahoma Joe's) is 1.5 miles away, and even though it's hilly, we enjoyed the walk to get there.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Thanks for staying at the Sheraton Suites Country Club Plaza and sending feedback on your stay to Trip Advisor. I was glad to read you had a great visit to the hotel. We have a great hotel in a wonderful location and our staff do an excellent job of taking care of our guests. Hope to see you again on a future visit to Kansas City.