“Disappointing for the neighborhood”

Sheraton Suites Country Club Plaza
Ranked #20 of 109 Hotels in Kansas City
Kansas City, Missouri
“Disappointing for the neighborhood”
Reviewed 8 June 2014

The location is great. I love that about this Sheraton. However, I must say I am disappointed. I am not one to nit pick and notice problems in hotels, but I noticed several problems during our stay. The "suites" are very small. Not a big deal if it is just two adults. The furniture in our room was damaged, the corner of the desk was missing and looked trashy. The coffee cups in our room had been used, presumably by the previous guest. Gross. Obvious coffee remnants in the cups. Decent place, but for the plaza I was disappointed, it certainly wasn't special.
Staff was very helpful and courteous. Clean comfortable bed.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Ted F, General Manager at Sheraton Suites Country Club Plaza, responded to this review, 9 June 2014
Thanks for staying at the Sheraton Suites on the Country Club Plaza. I was disappointed to read your experience at the hotel was not excellent. I do apologize for the items you mentioned that you encountered during your stay. The hotel housekeeping and maintenance staff usually do a very nice job getting the rooms ready for our guests and I will review these items with them so they can be corrected. We appreciate your business and hope to have you return to our hotel on a future visit to the Kansas City Country Club Plaza. Ted Frerking, General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (134)
Reviewed 8 June 2014

Terrible, terrible. 1) billing issues. 2) room flooded for two days, hard to believe but it happened 3) rooms I stayed in are dated smell musty....more like a kennel. 3) perhaps the most frustrating thing was the managers attitude " whatever". 4) they must run some sort of promotions on weekends because the place gets loud and It is hard to sleep because of all the in room parties going on. While I was talking to people at the front desk there was a couple next to me complaining that they never got silverware with their room service and ate with their finger.

Terrible, worst placed I have stayed in.

Room Tip: Do not stay here
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Ted F, General Manager at Sheraton Suites Country Club Plaza, responded to this review, 20 June 2014
Thanks for staying at the Sheraton Suites on the Country Club Plaza and sending your comments to Trip Advisor. I apologize for the issue you experienced with the condition of your room. I understand how inconvenient this can be to your family and for that I sincerely apologize. We appreciate your business and hope to have you return to our hotel on a future visit to the Kansas City Country Club Plaza. Ted Frerking, General Manager

Travellers are raving about these Kansas City hotels

Reviewed 6 June 2014 via mobile

This was the fourth time staying here and while it's still better than average it's slipped just a bit. Only real negative other than broken glass in the pool they spent two days cleaning is the $15 parking a night. I don't think you can park across the street for free so that kind of stinks even with my spg card. Suites are nice and big enough and staff was all very friendly. Wasn't too crowded on a wed and thurs night and it was very quiet. We didn't notice anybody eating or drinking at the restaurant but we always enjoy Tom Fooleries which is the next block over. Great location on the plaza and walking distance to everything.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
I am glad you choose to stay at the Sheraton Suites on the Country Club Plaza for your recent trip to Kansas City. It was good to read that you found our room accommodations to be nice and our staff to be friendly and helpful. It was nice to see you were able to take advantage of some of the many nice restaurants we have within walking distance of the hotel. We appreciate your business and look forward to have you return as our guest on a future visit to the Kansas City County Club Plaza. Ted Frerking, General Manager
Drexel, Missouri
Reviewed 1 June 2014

I stay here only for pleasure and always enjoy it. We park in the underground lot, leave the car behind and walk to shopping and restaurants. Rooms are all suites with ample room to relax. I have to say that our room this last stay was not as clean as we would have liked (carpet was stained) but we really like this hotel. Staff is friendly and helpful. Starbucks coffee is complementary in the lobby in the morning. Views are great from the room.

Room Tip: Get a higher up floor for the best view from your room. Ask for a room away from the elevators for...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Matt C
Thanks for staying at the Sheraton Suites on the Country Club Plaza. It was good to read you had a very nice experience at our hotel and everything was comfortable during your stay. We have a very friendly staff who strive to take care of our guests and I am glad they delivered that level of service to you. We appreciate your business and look forward to your return. Ted Frerking, General Manager
Golden Valley, Minnesota
Reviewed 31 May 2014

Stayed for three weeks on a business trip and was impressed by just about everything. The building was easy to find and located within easy walking distance of numerous good restaurants, shopping, parks, museums and street corner jazz bands.
The Sheraton was nice and had many services for the guests available such as underground parking, swimming pool, Breakfast/evening appetizers, newspapers, coffee and of course friendly and knowledgable staff.
I would also make a good review on their restaurants cuisine and a great review of the Bartender named Tara for her attentiveness, knowledge, patience and killer Martinis.
Without a doubt I would not hesitate to return.

Room Tip: All rooms are probably equally great and very comfortable.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Thanks for staying at the Sheraton Suites on the Country Club Plaza and sending feedback on your stay. It was good to read you had a good experience at our hotel. The hotel staff strive to deliver an excellent guest experience to all of our guests and I was glad to read they did a good job of delivering that experience to you. Tara does a great job at the hotel and I am glad she was able to provide great service to you during your stay. We appreciate your business and look forward to your return to our hotel on a future visit to Kansas City. Ted Frerking, General Manager
Lincoln, Nebraska
Reviewed 28 May 2014

My husband and I had our Valentine's Day weekend here. We'd been to the plaza many times and always wanted to stay at the Sheraton. From the outside the place looks nice, but our room was outdated and small. We had a king suite. We also were excited for some pool time, but the pool was dirty and the hot tub was very old, it worked, just wasn't at all what we were expecting after what we paid for it. The next time we were at the plaza we stayed at the Marriott and had a great view and a great time.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MrsTonn
Ted F, General Manager at Sheraton Suites Country Club Plaza, responded to this review, 30 May 2014
Thanks for staying at the Sheraton Suites on the Country Club Plaza. I was disappointed to read your experience at the hotel was not excellent. I do apologize for the items you mentioned that you encountered during your stay. I fully understand how your experience can be negatively impacted when the room and pool condition is not as expected and for this I do apologize. We appreciate your business and hope to have you return to our hotel on a future visit to the Kansas City Country Club Plaza. Ted Frerking, General Manager
Montpellier, France
Reviewed 28 May 2014

OK, we had one incident with the hotel. We left at 8 in the morning, came back at 5 and our room was not made up. I called guest services and was told by the young woman answering "not to raise my voice with her" and she hung up. I didn't raise my voice so that made me mad. Eventually after more phone calls our room was made.
The rooms themselves are nice, clean and large. We were on the top, the 18th floor and had a nice view facing west. We didn't use the microwave or coffee maker in the room, but we did use the fridge. Wireless access was strong throughout the room.
You will have to pay $15 a night to park your car, unless you want to park across the street in the free Plaza parking or on the street a few blocks away.
The bed was large, soft and great to sleep in. The room was totally quiet with absolute blackout curtains if you need to avoid that horrid morning sunshine/hangover combo.

Room Tip: Pay the extra $ per night if you are staying a few days so that you will have access to the club lou...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Thanks for staying at the Sheraton Suites on the Country Club Plaza and sending feedback on your stay. It was good to read you had a good experience at our hotel. The hotel staff strive to deliver an excellent guest experience to all of our guests and I was glad to read they did a good job of delivering that experience to you and your family. Sorry about the late cleaning of your room one day. I was glad to read they did get it cleaned for you quickly upon your request. We appreciate your business and look forward to your return to our hotel on a future visit to Kansas City. Ted Frerking, General Manager