“Comfortable and convenient”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel Kansas City - Plaza
Ranked #37 of 110 Hotels in Kansas City
Reviewed 5 December 2012

The staff was helpful and engaging from the first encounter. They were never intrusive, but always available. The complimentary shuttle to and from the Plaza is a big plus, especially in the Christmas season. It was wonderful to avoid the hassle of parking on the Plaza and dealing with the traffic! Wait times for the shuttle were short, and even at the end of his shift, the driver was pleasant, friendly, and joked readily with the passengers.
The hotel staff was quick to accommodate special requests.
I see the other comments about the decor - but, unless plaster is falling off the wall (which it was not), I could care less. The place was spotless. The service was great. That is really all that I want in a hotel.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank drbobstl
scott w, Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel Kansas City - Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded 6 December 2012

Dear DrBobstl

Thank you for your review. I just shared your comments with our executive housekeeper and I wish you could have seen the smile on her and her staff’s faces. I was happy to see that you took advantage of the shuttle service and will pass on your comments of the drivers as well. Thank you again for posting your experience on Trip Advisor and for staying with us. We'll look forward to serving you again on your next trip to KC.

Reviewed 4 December 2012

This hotel is not quite on the Plaza so as some others say in their reviews it is a little deceptive. It is within walking distance however the weather was very cold during our stay. Second, they have a real problem with birds around the property. They not only are noisy but the waste in the parking lot and on my car the next morning was a little nasty. Our room was ok. Needs to be updated and boy was the bathroom small. We were shocked at how small it was! Made it difficult with our family. One real plus was the morning breakfast. Byran in the breakfast area was fantastic! He made our morning with his energetic interactions with our family. Holding the chair for my wife and daughter and his interaction with my son. He was amazing as we watched him interact with the tables of people in his area. There was one elderly gentlemen who came down for breakfast and Byran remembered the gentlemen's name from the pervious morning. That was impressive! If all associates were as engaging as Byran your hotel would be above 5 stars. Really at the end of the day it is these interactions that make a stay memorable! Good job to Byran!

Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
scott w, Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel Kansas City - Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded 11 January 2013

Dear Mr. Sugieman

Thank you for your review. Please be assured that we along with the neighboring businesses have taken measures to safely and humanely move the large flocks of birds away from us. This has had some positive results. Please know your comments have been shared with Byron who works the Complimentary Breakfast in the mornings. He was very touched and appreciative by your comments. Again thank you for your comments and I would hope you would choose to stay with us again if your travels bring you back to Kansa City.

Reviewed 30 November 2012

When we arrived, everything was beautiful, the parking is reasonable ($15 for valet). I ended up with some charges that were wrong. Multiple charges for internet per day, even though I only had one Wifi device. Multiple parking charges even though the Parking is supposed to be per day. These were very quickly handled at the desk during checkout, and they even gave us a couple of discounts. We got the romance package, and the champagne and roses were fantastic! The chocolates were crappy, just three tiny chocolates with very little flavor, and where normally strawberries would be served with champagne they chose apples. The champagne glasses were nice, though I could wish they chilled the champagne.
Now for the bad:
We were on the third floor, which is smoking, and the people in the next room were very loud. We called the desk three times about yelling, and loud music between 2AM and 3AM before anything was done. The grout in the rooms was cracked, yellowed, mildewed. The ice machine was just disgusting. The ceiling of the alcove it was in, was peeling, cracking, and falling. The room had an open pipe that drained into a hole in the floor. There was mildew on the walls, of the alcove and black and green slime growing in the hole in the floor (not a drain, just an open hole). I didn't use any ice the entire time I was there, I was afraid I would get ill from it.
The website brags about a private balcony per room. The balconies are all sealed off. Every room has a door, that is supposed to open onto a balcony, but they have been caulked shut with shower/bath caulking. They do however still allow in quite a bit of cold air.
Even though the lobby is beautiful, the pool is gorgeous, the staff is gracious, I wouldn't stay here again. The hotel needs serious updating.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
scott w, Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel Kansas City - Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded 3 December 2012

Dear Melanie G
I apologize for the displeasure you found with your recent stay. Please be assured that I did review your concerns with all of the Team leaders and staff. Shame on us for not chilling the champagne and we will revisit the chocolates that are offered. They are from a local Chocolate shop and this is the first non-positive comment on them. We are sorry to hear that you were not entirely happy with the condition of our ice machines and you Guest Bathrooms. We appreciate you taking the time to point out the things that made your experience less than perfect. Your feedback helps us make improvements where needed.
We hope you will return to our hotel in the future and give us the opportunity to make a better impression on you.

Reviewed 26 November 2012

The hotel is located near the Plaza which has shopping, restaurants, bars and more.

The hotel could use some updates in the rooms ( smoke burns in comforter, peeling paint). Overall it was a fair room.

The reason I could return or suggest this hotel is the staff. They all (front desk, valet, housekeeping, wait staff) are extremely customer focused. Very helpful, thoughtful, professional ... Just wonderful!!!

Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank MrsLawrence28
scott w, Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel Kansas City - Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded 4 December 2012

Dear MrsLawrence28

We appreciate the positive comments and will make sure to commend our Staff on the service they provide. We are sorry to hear that you were not entirely happy with the condition of our Guest suite. We appreciate you taking the time to point out the things that made your experience less than perfect and we have shared your comments with our Housekeeping and Maintenance staff. Thank you for staying with us and we hope you will stay with us the next time you come to Kansas City.

Reviewed 26 November 2012

I stayed three nights at this hotel when visiting a family member at nearby St. Luke's hospital. At first the Spanish-themed lobby was a bit jarring, but I came to appreciate the quirkiness of the design. The room was clean and the living room area was particularly nice, but I agree with reviewers who say the bathrooms are awfully small. (And the bathroom sink is in the actual bedroom, which was kind of odd.) Had some issues with our A/C not cooling very well, but otherwise the room functioned fine.

The breakfast aims high but doesn't quite get there. The staff during breakfast was wonderful, but the offerings were often picked over or completely gone by the time I went to breakfast. I could also forgive a lot at breakfast if the coffee was decent, but it wasn't.

If you have a reason to visit St. Luke's, this hotel is conveniently located and worth looking into. If you have other reasons to visit the area, this hotel may or may not meet all of your needs.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
scott w, Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel Kansas City - Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded 23 January 2013

Dear Amanda G

Thank you for your detailed review of your stay with us. Please note that I have shared the short comings you encountered with the air conditioning and breakfast offerings with the respective team leaders. I apologize for the added stress this may have added to your stay. Hope fully your family member is doing better and I would hope if your travels bring you back to Kansas City you would stay with us again.

Reviewed 25 November 2012

Hot tub and sauna both cold. Bare wires exposed in sauna, hotels needs new paint Switch for the hot tub has more rust then paint. The entire place just could use a facelift, to get more upscale which is the image one would expect. This place is about 1/3 mile walking distance from the country club plaza which is upscale. I expected this place to be similar. I would guess it was in its day....

Stayed: November 2012
scott w, Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel Kansas City - Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded 27 March 2013

Dear Guest

Please note we did take your comments and concerns seriusly and did renovate our entire pool area. I would hope you would come back and give us another chance. thank You for your patronage of our hotel.

Reviewed 25 November 2012

Our large, extended family has staged a family reunion twice at the Embassy Suites Hotel close to the Country Club Plaza. It's a great place for that kind of event: great pool for the kids, full breakfast, lots of lobby room for informal gatherings and of course the two-room suite setup which works very well for families traveling with small children. We worked with the hotel staff to have all of our rooms together in a area of one floor which made visiting back and forth just great.

We were even able to set up our own brunch (bagels and cream cheese, etc) in an area close to the pool so that we could enjoy even more family-together time.

There's a lot to do right around the hotel: Shopping at The Country Club Plaza, Loose Park which is only a short drive away, the Nelson-Atkins Gallery (a world class art museum), the World War I museum at the Liberty Memorial -- and much much more. We took advantage of everything.

This hotel is a little tired, and not at all fancy (again making it fun and comfortable for families) and the bathroom is set up in an odd fashion. But the staff is helpful and gracious and we had a great time there. We'll go back again for the next reunion!

Room Tip: All of the rooms are the same. Two room suites.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family

Dear TrishaJo

Thank you for the wonderful review and the return visits with your family. I am glad that our team was able to get you on the same floor and assist with other needs during your stay. It sounds like you capitalized on the countless attractions that surround the hotel and I am sure that also added to your successful family gathering. Again thank you for the review and the returning visits and patronage. I hope to see you again at your next family gathering.