“Stay here every time I come to KC”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel Kansas City - Plaza
Ranked #36 of 111 Hotels in Kansas City
Reviewed 1 January 2013 via mobile

Clean, spacious rooms and friendly, helpful service. A can ride to downtown power and light district is only $15. Like all other embassy suites, there are two rooms per suite, and all have mini refrigerators, pull out sleeper sofas, and two tvs. I like that a larger group or family can stay in one room...which makes this a great value for the price. I stay here every time I come to Kansas City and have always been pleased!

• Stayed: January 2013
1  Thank Rororoni
scott w, Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel Kansas City - Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded 11 January 2013

Dear Rororoni

Thank you for the 5-Star review! Please know your favorable comments have been shared with the hotel staff and housekeeping. We are happy that you enjoyed the two room suite which is a key attribute often overlooked about our collection of hotels. Hopefully prior to venturing to the Power and light district, you and your guests were able to take advantage of the manager’s reception held every night. Most importantly, thank you for your continued patronage of this hotel and I will be sure that we earn this valuable return patronage by exceeding your expectations.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,946)

Reviewed 30 December 2012

We stayed here this weekend on a Friday night. We were on the ninth floor and we loved our room. Everything was very clean with no bad hotel smells. The bathroom was really small, but it didn't bother us. The candy bars, snacks and water they brought to our room was a nice surprise. They were also generous with the free drink tickets for the managers reception. My kids were a little disappointed there were no waffles at the breakfast, which was okay, but nothing amazing. Overall, pleasant stay.

1  Thank tdugp
scott w, Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel Kansas City - Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded 10 January 2013

Dear TDUGP

Thank you for your review! We are delighted that you had a pleasant stay with us. We are happy that you found everything to your satisfaction with the suite and manager’s reception. I apologize for not having waffles available as we do rotate the selection from waffles to pancakes to biscuits and gravy. Again thank you for the review and we hope we can be of service to you again when your travels bring you back to Kansas City.

Reviewed 20 December 2012

Unfortunately, while the staff was very friendly, the rooms are really lacking. We checked in and needed to get our child in the tub but there was no hot water in the bathroom. The room did not feel very clean--stains in carpet, comforters, and extra blankets. We were starving so ordered room service while waiting for maintenance to show up and food was barely lukewarm. The staff was accommodating by offering another room because the water couldn't be fixed, however, we chose to check out and go elsewhere. The staff were apologetic and gave us a refund. Hopefully this hotel can do some updating because it was in a good downtown location.

Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank elenaco

Dear Elanco

We appreciate you taking the time to point out the things that made your experience less than perfect. I apologize for the challenges you encountered during your stay with us. Unfortunately, there were some issues with the maintenance of our hot water lines which you were affected by. I have also reviewed your comments with our housekeeping and food and beverage teams which should have been prevented. The front desk was correct in issuing you a refund allowing you to move to a different location. Again I apologize for the issues you encountered but are at least happy that staff did assist you with your concerns. Lastly, thank you also for your patronage of our Hotel

Reviewed 17 December 2012

Staff was professional and room was clean. Would not recommend the Cattleman's Club as pretty value challenged. Really average steak and potato, with nothing else. Otherwise overall stay was pretty good.

Dear skip38877

Please know your favorable comments have been shared with the hotel staff and housekeeping. I apologize for the challenges and disappointment you encountered with the restaurant. Please note that I did communicate your displeasure with the food and beverage director. Again I apologize for the issues you encountered with the restaurant and would hope we would have the chance to serve you again when your travels bring you back to Kansas City.

Reviewed 5 December 2012

The staff was helpful and engaging from the first encounter. They were never intrusive, but always available. The complimentary shuttle to and from the Plaza is a big plus, especially in the Christmas season. It was wonderful to avoid the hassle of parking on the Plaza and dealing with the traffic! Wait times for the shuttle were short, and even at the end of his shift, the driver was pleasant, friendly, and joked readily with the passengers.
The hotel staff was quick to accommodate special requests.
I see the other comments about the decor - but, unless plaster is falling off the wall (which it was not), I could care less. The place was spotless. The service was great. That is really all that I want in a hotel.

3  Thank drbobstl
scott w, Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel Kansas City - Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded 6 December 2012

Dear DrBobstl

Thank you for your review. I just shared your comments with our executive housekeeper and I wish you could have seen the smile on her and her staff’s faces. I was happy to see that you took advantage of the shuttle service and will pass on your comments of the drivers as well. Thank you again for posting your experience on Trip Advisor and for staying with us. We'll look forward to serving you again on your next trip to KC.

Reviewed 4 December 2012

This hotel is not quite on the Plaza so as some others say in their reviews it is a little deceptive. It is within walking distance however the weather was very cold during our stay. Second, they have a real problem with birds around the property. They not only are noisy but the waste in the parking lot and on my car the next morning was a little nasty. Our room was ok. Needs to be updated and boy was the bathroom small. We were shocked at how small it was! Made it difficult with our family. One real plus was the morning breakfast. Byran in the breakfast area was fantastic! He made our morning with his energetic interactions with our family. Holding the chair for my wife and daughter and his interaction with my son. He was amazing as we watched him interact with the tables of people in his area. There was one elderly gentlemen who came down for breakfast and Byran remembered the gentlemen's name from the pervious morning. That was impressive! If all associates were as engaging as Byran your hotel would be above 5 stars. Really at the end of the day it is these interactions that make a stay memorable! Good job to Byran!

Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family

Dear Mr. Sugieman

Thank you for your review. Please be assured that we along with the neighboring businesses have taken measures to safely and humanely move the large flocks of birds away from us. This has had some positive results. Please know your comments have been shared with Byron who works the Complimentary Breakfast in the mornings. He was very touched and appreciative by your comments. Again thank you for your comments and I would hope you would choose to stay with us again if your travels bring you back to Kansa City.

Reviewed 30 November 2012

When we arrived, everything was beautiful, the parking is reasonable ($15 for valet). I ended up with some charges that were wrong. Multiple charges for internet per day, even though I only had one Wifi device. Multiple parking charges even though the Parking is supposed to be per day. These were very quickly handled at the desk during checkout, and they even gave us a couple of discounts. We got the romance package, and the champagne and roses were fantastic! The chocolates were crappy, just three tiny chocolates with very little flavor, and where normally strawberries would be served with champagne they chose apples. The champagne glasses were nice, though I could wish they chilled the champagne.
Now for the bad:
We were on the third floor, which is smoking, and the people in the next room were very loud. We called the desk three times about yelling, and loud music between 2AM and 3AM before anything was done. The grout in the rooms was cracked, yellowed, mildewed. The ice machine was just disgusting. The ceiling of the alcove it was in, was peeling, cracking, and falling. The room had an open pipe that drained into a hole in the floor. There was mildew on the walls, of the alcove and black and green slime growing in the hole in the floor (not a drain, just an open hole). I didn't use any ice the entire time I was there, I was afraid I would get ill from it.
The website brags about a private balcony per room. The balconies are all sealed off. Every room has a door, that is supposed to open onto a balcony, but they have been caulked shut with shower/bath caulking. They do however still allow in quite a bit of cold air.
Even though the lobby is beautiful, the pool is gorgeous, the staff is gracious, I wouldn't stay here again. The hotel needs serious updating.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
scott w, Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel Kansas City - Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded 3 December 2012

Dear Melanie G
I apologize for the displeasure you found with your recent stay. Please be assured that I did review your concerns with all of the Team leaders and staff. Shame on us for not chilling the champagne and we will revisit the chocolates that are offered. They are from a local Chocolate shop and this is the first non-positive comment on them. We are sorry to hear that you were not entirely happy with the condition of our ice machines and you Guest Bathrooms. We appreciate you taking the time to point out the things that made your experience less than perfect. Your feedback helps us make improvements where needed.
We hope you will return to our hotel in the future and give us the opportunity to make a better impression on you.