“Family Friendly and Affordable”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel Kansas City - Plaza
Ranked #36 of 109 Hotels in Kansas City
Harrison, Arkansas, United States
“Family Friendly and Affordable”
Reviewed 17 September 2013

We had a fabulous stay at the Embassy Suites near the Plaza in Kansas City. My father in law was in the hospital and we needed a place for our large family to stay. We had 5 of our children with us, so we reserved a large suite and they were very accommodating. The staff was extremely helpful and courteous. The wait staff visited and joked with our kids during the continental breakfast in the mornings. The food was awesome, too! Try the made to order omelet station! The lines is long, but you'll be glad you waited. We would definitely stay there again! Great location downtown right beside the cardiac and women's health units at St. Luke's hospital.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
scott w, Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel Kansas City - Plaza, responded to this review, 18 September 2013
Good afternoon Ms. Lora S

First of all I hope your father-in-law is doing well after his stay at St. Luke’s Hospital, Our thoughts and prayers will be with him. Thank you for your kind words about our staff and your overall stay. The two–room suites we offer do assist in accommodating large families and gives you the extra room to allow you to relax. Thank you for staying with us and I hope we would be your hotel of choice the next time your travels bring you back to Kansas City which would be on better circumstances than this visit.

Embassy Suites Kansas City Plaza

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (207)
Fort Wayne, United States
Reviewed 12 September 2013

The Embassy Suites in Kansas City was amazing. I wish to thank them for there service and would be glad to recommend this Hotel to anyone visiting Kansas City. We always choose to stay at an Embassy Suite whenever there is one in the area.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels

scott w, Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel Kansas City - Plaza, responded to this review, 15 September 2013
Good afternoon Ronald V

Wow, what a great review! Thank you for the 5-star review and I will definitely share your comments with our team as it will definitely make their day! Thank you for staying with us and I hope we would be your hotel of choice the next time your travels bring you back to Kansas City.

Reviewed 9 September 2013

Love this location! The hotel is right between the Plaza and Westport, and if you really wanted, you could walk to at least Westport (we walked back one night when the weather was nice), but why bother when there's free transportation within 2 miles of the hotel? On a busy night you may have to wait a bit, but we never had to wait more than 20 minutes (and they'll warn you ahead of time, so you can plan accordingly). Personally, I fell in love with the Westport area (so many good places to eat), so on my second trip to Kansas City, I went back to the Embassy Suites, because it's just so easy the first time. Initially, after reading some of the reviews on tripadvisor, I was concerned about this hotel, but now I just realize that some travelers just have different expectations. Not to knock the hotel, but this isn't a five star hotel, so if that's what you are looking for, there are plenty of places you can go that will be happy to overcharge you for a room (which you will barely stay in since there's way too much stuff to do in KC) and not offer you any of the amenities this hotel offers. THIS is a well-maintained Embassy Suites with a great staff. No, the rooms are not the most updated, but they are HUGE, clean, the beds are comfortable, and if you stay in one of the end units -- you can't hear a thing! I'm also not really sure about all the complaints with breakfast. No, the lines are not the most convenient, but considering the amount of people they are trying to feed (also, I was there on holiday both times), the lines move FAST! If there's something you want -- just ask. There's several staff members running around -- you'll spot them! I'll agree that the manager reception is a bit odd, especially since I'm use to more intimate receptions of other hotels, but there are options: a. be the first one there and hand over all your drink tickets at once (hey, you beat the lines and will have all your drinks ready to go!), b. bring some beers with you and stick it in your fridge upstairs to enjoy on your own time OR c. pay for a drink at the other bar. After all, they aren't forcing you to do anything at this hotel, so if you don't like it -- don't join in!

Room Tip: end units away from the elevator are quieter
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Good Morning Champagneproblems

Thank you for the detailed review of our Hotel. I appreciate your kind words about the staff and their efforts to please &/or assist our guests. Please note that we have addressed the long lines and have added an additional double-sided buffet for anticipated heavy breakfast times. I am glad that you found the location to your liking and were able to explore the Westport and Plaza areas. I did share your comments with my team and I wish you could have seen how it brought smiles to their faces! Thanks again for staying with us on more than one occasion and I hope you will choose us again when your future travels bring you back to Kansas City!
Lastly I love your name and have always gone by the motto- “If you say no to champagne, you say no to life!”

Springdale, Arkansas
Reviewed 9 September 2013

Chose the embassy as it is a short walk to the plaza. It is an older hotel but does have two separate areas. Bathroom is very small but have nice granite in bedroom. I am an early riser, so I am able to close the door, make coffee and read or watch TV without disturbing my wife. As others have said, the breakfast lines can be long so either come early or be patient. They had made to order omelets, and buffet with biscuits, cream gravy, potatoes, bacon and sausage links. Other areas had fruit, yogurt and other breakfast items. We chose to park in the basement as it keeps you out of the weather. The same elevator that brings you from the basement also takes you to your floor. All in all the price was right and very clean.

Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
scott w, Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel Kansas City - Plaza, responded to this review, 14 September 2013
Good morning travelingboomers1946

Thank you for a detailed review of your one night stays with us. Comments from a top contributor are read with high interest by both the guests of Trip Advisor and my staff. You definitely were able to maximize the two of the three key attributes of Embassy suites; the tow room suite and complimentary breakfast offering. Hopefully on your next journey to Kansas City you can enjoy the third key attribute - the evening reception. Thanks again for taking the time for a great review of your stay. I will definitely share it with my team.

Newcastle, Oklahoma
Reviewed 4 September 2013

Our trip to the Embassy Suites in Kansas City, at the Plaza was disappointing this time. The breakfast line the first day of our trip went quicker because they set up an additional help your self lane. That was a nice surprise. The next day (Labor Day) they had taken the extra line away so the wait was long. When I did get to the help yourself hot breakfast area, many items were empty.
The really disappointing portion of the trip was the cleanliness of the room. I noticed small issues each day but since we mainly were only there to sleep, I let them slide. On our exit from the hotel room, I did my usual sweep of the room starting in the bedroom and working towards the door. As I looked under the beds to make certain a shoe or etc wasnt kicked under there and left, I was disgusted at what I found. Trash, bottle tops, stir sticks, and who knows what else under the bed. Obviously, they have not cleaned under there in quite a while. I mentioned this to the front desk on my way out. No attempt to make amends. Disappointing.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
scott w, Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel Kansas City - Plaza, responded to this review, 16 September 2013
Good evening Miss Aimee W

Thank you for taking the time to inform us of the issues you experienced during your stay. Please note I did review the Breakfast and Housekeeping disappointments with the respective department heads. Comments from our guests are taken very seriously as we value your patronage. Again I apologize for the disappointments during your stay you had with us.

Omaha, Nebraska
Reviewed 3 September 2013

They have a gold mine as far as location on the plaza. When you offer free cooked to order breakfast you should provide more than one cook so the line is not 15 minutes long. Also, for the drinks at the manager reception - same issue. Don't advertise free if it going to turn into a bad experience. Great spot, just wish their service attitude was more genuine.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
Good morning Dan Luff

I apologize for all of the challenges you encountered with your stay. . Breakfast wait times have been addressed with the Food & Beverage Director and we have added a second buffet line which is double sided on busy mornings. I apologize if our desk staff did not brief you on the best times to have breakfast without the wait times which could have prevented or at least prepared you for an extended wait. I am sorry that you encountered the same issue with our evening reception and Please note that I have shared your disappointments with the Food & beverage Director as well. I am sorry and will discuss your comments about my staff’s service attitude as well. Comments from our guests are taken very seriously as we value your patronage. Again I apologize for the disappointments during your stay you had with us.

Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 3 September 2013

Went to KC for business. Love the suite because it lets me work on a separate room. This is close to the shops and restaurants. The hotel staff is very friendly and personable. Clean and bright room. I admit that I am a fan of the Embassy because the rooms are big and the free breakfast is good.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank Hockey D
Good evening Hockey D

Thanks for your kind words concerning your stay. A five star review from a senior reviewer of Trip Advisor will definitely bring a smile to my staff’s faces which confirm their hard work. Thanks again for staying with us and I hope your future travels bring you back to Kansas City and our hotel.