“Decent hotel for the money”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel Kansas City - Plaza
Ranked #38 of 109 Hotels in Kansas City
Reviewed 6 May 2014

Clean hotel, friendly staff but the location leaves little to be desired. It is located on the outskirts of the Plaza. The hotel offers shuttle service but I wouldn't depend on it. The service can be unreliable at times, we waited over an hour when we were to it would be a 20 minute wait.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels
scott w, Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel Kansas City - Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded 7 May 2014

Trina M

I apologize for the performance of our staff concerning the Shuttle. Please note we have will continue to address and monitor this as it can not only ruin a lovely dinner on the Plaza, but your entire stay with us. I also apologize that we did not do anything to correct this while you were staying with us. Thank you for staying with us and I apologize for the sour taste this has left you with.

Assistant General Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,902)

Reviewed 6 May 2014

I had heard that they recently had a major overhaul of this Embassy Suites, but after staying here over the weekend I can assure you it could use another. The location while on the Plaza, is pretty out of the way located just north of St. Luke's hospital. In shape adults won't have any problems walking the 5-6 blocks to the Plaza but those wanting to stay more centrally might not like it.

You can tell right away that the hotel has been around awhile. The carpet in my hotel room was bunched and the woodwork, while recently repainted, was beat up quite a bit. My bed was pretty soft and my wife enjoyed it, but I wished they would have had a more firm mattress. The bathrooms are extremely small, but this is alleviated somewhat by the sink being out in the bedroom itself. The tub and shower looked quite aged but they had updated the shower head. The balcony is only for show and the handle has been removed to make it impossible to go out on which was a bummer. We did both enjoy the Crabtree and Evelyn bath products that were provided. They cleaned well and smelled quite nice.

The happy hour and breakfast buffet while complementary weren't nearly as nice as the Embassy Suites we stayed at in South Denver two years ago. No waffles, but they did still have the made-to-order omelets which were good.

My last gripe was the parking. For what you paid per night and the conditions of the lot (super small) and garage (also small), they should have just thrown this in for you.

Overall, I'm not going to stop going to Embassy Suites but I will probably return to another hotel if staying in the Plaza or go to the Westin in Crown Center.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Good Morning Dan H

Thank you for taking the time to write a detailed review of your stay with us. I apologize that our staff did not inform or offer you the complimentary shuttle service within a two mile radius to take you the Plaza. Please note I will review your comments with our Engineering and Housekeeping staff as well as the Food & Beverage Director. Again I apologize for the disappointments during your stay you had with us.

Reviewed 6 May 2014

Loved the location, close to the plaza and Westport and I could walk to both. It is an older Embassy Suites, but has been updated. Cons are $10 parking and $10 wifi. Pros the made to order breakfast, decent fitness center and happy hour. I will stay again, in fact have two more reservations here.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank MarcIndy

Good afternoon Marclndy

Wow! Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. A four star review from a senior contributor does hold a lot of weight with the readers of Trip Advisor. Please do not hesitate to look at some of the business rates which include parking and WIFI at a minimal charge. Thanks again for you’re sharing your stay with the guests of Trip Advisor and also for your continued patronage of our Hotel. We look forward to seeing you on your next two visits.

Asst. General Manager
Embassy Suites Kansas City Plaza

Reviewed 5 May 2014

Horrible place. Horrible customer service by the staff. Housekeeping kept knocking on my door every morning at 7am. They charged me for a bottle water that I never used and some bimbo at the front desk was arguing with me that there was a bottle of water in the room, which there wasn't. I guess that is a trick they use to charge you $5 more. But even if there was one in the room, as a silver HHonors member I am entitled to two complimentary bottles of water and the same bimbo was arguing with me again that this was not the case. Maybe she should read the Silver Member benefits at the HHonors website before she goes to work again.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Evan M

Good afternoon Evan M.

I responded and adjusted the Bottle water charge Sunday afternoon and did not want to further aggravate you discussing the other issues with your stay. Please accept my apologies and please note I will discuss the Housekeeping issues with Our Executive Housekeeper. Again I apologize for the several areas we fell short during your stay.

Reviewed 2 May 2014

This must be one of the older Embassy Suites. The design of the suite had the sink in the bedroom, and the toilet/bath area was so small it was hard to close the door when you were in it. Otherwise it is in a great area of Kansas City. Halfway between the Plaza and Westport, two of the nicest areas of the city. On a nice day they are both in walking distance. All other aspects of the hotel are what you would expect from an Embassy Suites.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels
scott w, Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel Kansas City - Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded 4 May 2014

Good afternoon Dean C

We were happy to see that your stay met your expectations of the hotel brand. I cannot agree more that our locations between the Plaza & Westport are great areas to explore and enjoy. Although the bathrooms are small, the vanity sink outside of the bathroom does allow finishing getting ready while other guests may be using the shower. Thank you for staying with us and your patronage of our hotels.

Reviewed 1 May 2014

This hotel is wonderful. You can't be it for the money. Great suite, breakfast, reception with wine, beer, and alcohol. Gym has good equipment and they have an indoor pool. It is near many shops as well. You can't go wrong staying at this hotel.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo

Dear Kim B

Thank you for staying with us and sharing your comments of your stay with the guests of Trip Advisor. We were happy that you found the hotel and its location to your liking. You are correct that the Plaza & Westport are very unique locations with interesting shops and restaurants. Hopefully your future travels will bring you back to Kansas City & Our hotel. Thanks again for your kind words and also for your continued patronage of our Hotel.

Asst. General Manager
Embassy Suites Kansas City Plaza

Reviewed 30 April 2014

This is a great location for trips to the Plaza and Westport establishments. We come here twice a year for a girls trip. We've always loved the staff, but there has been changes and don't really recognize anyone anymore. The hotel rooms in general need some updates, but our generally clean.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels
scott w, Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel Kansas City - Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded 1 May 2014

Good afternoon Dawn L

Please note that I shared your comments and comparison of staff from last year. I was pleased to see that you found our housekeeping staff and their work to your liking. Concerning the gift cards you had left we did have some turned in and I will contact you by email to confirm if they are yours. I apologize if you did not find favor with our security and management staff but we were only trying to keep the noise level at an acceptable level Friday & Saturday evening. Thanks again for your sharing your stay with the guests of Trip Advisor and also for your continued patronage of our Hotel.